1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Over the Reich - McMonkey vs. JPetroski

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Multiplayer & PBEM' started by JPetroski, Dec 20, 2018.

1. JPetroski

JPetroski Chieftain

Allies Turn 52
    -Aircraft factory near Rostock destroyed
    -Fuel refinery near Brunswick destroyed
    -Fuel refinery at Luebeck destroyed
    -Trainyard near Rostock attacked but not destroyed
    -Fuel refinery at Bordeaux attacked but not destroyed
    -Cherbourg cleared of defenders

Attached Files:

2. McMonkey

McMonkey ----Evertonian---- SLeague Staff

Axis Turn 52

Swansea bombed but Urban not destroyed.

Thirteen B17s shot down over Northern Germany and others damaged. Two B24s shot down over the Bay of Biscay.

Attached Files:

3. JPetroski

JPetroski Chieftain

Allies Turn 53
    Deleted - replayed

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
  4. JPetroski

JPetroski Chieftain

@McMonkey I have determined that the A26 is totally imbalanced. Granted I have a ridiculous number of them, but I am attaching events here that reduces the amount of munitions it carries in half.

I have also changed it so that tactical bombers can now be intercepted by flak. I had originally not had this be the case intentionally, trying to give the tactical bombers more reason for their existence. However, 53 turns in, I can say that they will still be less susceptible to flak than strategic bombers because after a tactical bomber strikes, it can typically have enough range remaining to fly away, outside of the reactive range of the defender. Thus, each tactical bomber only gets hit once rather than being hit by several blasts, as is the case with strategic bombers that can't move away.

I think that these two changes will make a big difference in reducing the effectiveness of these units.

I would like you to create 5x fighters in French airfields of your choice at the start of your turn. In future versions, and going forward here, the tactical bombers will carry half as many bombs. I would also like you to give yourself 5,000 fuel.

It's really challenging to know exactly what I would or wouldn't' have accomplished with half as many munitions or to keep track of what was destroyed and I wasn't cheating of course but I feel like we need to address this immediately because I do honestly believe I could wipe France in another 6 turns unless this is addressed and therefore a significant balance issue exists.

Attached Files:

5. McMonkey

It's too late to play tonight. Will play in the morning. Regarding the A26s, I can do with all the help I can get :goodjob:

6. JPetroski

JPetroski Chieftain

I just can't in good conscience keep playing with them as they are so imbalanced - up to 4x 1,000 lb bombs is ridiculously powerful. For the most part I'm trying to hold off on making tremendous changes before the end of the game but I do think this one is necessary or it won't be fun for you soon so it needs to be made NOW :)

7. JPetroski

JPetroski Chieftain

Because you weren't going to play until the morning, and because the change was very important (in your favor), I replayed my turn. Things more or less went the same over Germany but in France I killed significantly fewer units of yours, lost a few units of mine, and am more vulnerable in general.

Turn 53 replay

-Aircraft factory near Merseburg destroyed
    -Factory at Rostock destroyed
    -Fighter at Eggbeck destroyed on the ground
    -Aarhus port attacked but not destroyed
    -Servon cleared of defenders at cost of 1x A26
    -Cormeilles attacked 1x A26 lost
    -Carpiquet cleared of defenders

**You lost significantly fewer units and I was able to attack significantly less targets. I anticipate that I'll take much heavier losses as a result. You don't need the 5 fighters now because we can tell how many would have been destroyed (I think I was only able to destroy 2 rather than 5). You can still have the 5,000 fuel as compensation for earlier attacks against Cherbourg where I had the benefit of these super planes.

***PLEASE STILL MAKE SURE TO DOWNLOAD THE NEW EVENTS ABOVE***

Attached Files:

8. McMonkey

9. McMonkey

Axis Turn 53

Six B17s shot down over Germany.One A26 shot down by Flak over Cormielles. In the Atlantic two Destroyers sunk for the loss of one U-Boat. Urban area of Swansea destroyed (forgot that bomber?).

Attached Files:

10. JPetroski

JPetroski Chieftain

Allies Turn 54
    -He111 shot down by Beaufighter near Swansea
    -3.7cm destroyed near Beaumont
    -Moult AFB cleared of defenders
    -Sdkfz 7/2 destroyed near Cormeilles – 1x A26 is killed trying
    -Construction crew destroyed near Tournai
    -Beaumont AF cleared of defenders
    -Panzer division at Lille attacked by A-26s
    -Aarhus port destroyed
    -Flak train badly damaged near Servon
    -Rouen attacked but only minor damage caused
    -Le Havre attacked but only minor damaged caused

You leave tomorrow, right? Let me know when you've played your last turn for the day (or at what time you'll be playing your last turn). Enjoy your travels!

Attached Files:

11. McMonkey

Axis Turn 54

Eight B17s shot down over Northern Germany & Denmark. Seven A26s shot down over Servon Airbase. One Mosquito recon shot down over Vannes Airbase.

Sorry for not playing sooner. I was so wiped out after skiing, I just kept falling asleep. I think the combination of altitude adjustment, pushing myself to the max every day, lack of sleep, overindulgence of alcohol, a slight cold & the travel all combined to lay me a little low. Luckily I'm not back in work until Thursday so I've had a chance to recover.

Attached Files:

12. JPetroski

JPetroski Chieftain

I'll try to play this and imperialism a bit later; crazy week at work.

13. JPetroski

JPetroski Chieftain

Allied Turn 55

-U-Boat sunk near convoy zone
    -Me109 shot down near Servon but P-47 also destroyed
    -flak train attacked NE of Lyon with no effect
    -Le Havre attacked with no effect

Sorry for the delay. It's going to be a long week!

Attached Files:

14. McMonkey

Axis Turn 55

Two returning B17s over the north sea are shot down as well as one A26 over eastern France.

Attached Files:

15. JPetroski

JPetroski Chieftain

Allies Turn 56
    -The RAF bombs research facilities at Peenemunde in “Operation Hydra,” delaying German research! The city is also attacked but not destroyed.

Attached Files:

16. McMonkey

Axis Turn 56

Stack of twelve (presumably ships) under a Spitfire destroyed at the entrance to the Bristol channel.

Swansea bombed causing only light damage.

Two B17s crippled over southern Belgium.

Over Peenmunde two Lancasters & two Halifax shot down by heavy Flak.

Attached Files:

17. JPetroski

JPetroski Chieftain

Allied Turn 57
    -Peenemunde attacked – one urban area destroyed and another damaged
    -Vannes AF attacked and cleared of all defenders for the loss of 2x A-26
    -Carquefou AF heavily attacked. Flak train and some Schutzen destroyed.
    -Bodilis AF heavily attacked without much effect. 1x A-26 destroyed
    -Trainyards near Lille destroyed
    -Two factories near Brussels destroyed and a third damaged
    -He111 destroyed by Swansea

We have a maximum effort turn, but cloud cover severely limits the damage we are able to inflict.

Attached Files:

18. McMonkey

Axis Turn 57

North-west of Freiburg an entire formation of B17s is completely destroyed. Twelve enemy shot down with no losses to the Luftwaffe.

Over Brussels/Antwerp the Luftwaffe scores another victory with Eight B17s, one B24J, four P-47s and three P38s shot down for the loss of one careless Fw190 who's pilot neglected to check his fuel gauge before initiating combat.

Seven A-26s shot down over Bodilis with another other Vannes AF & Nantes respectively. One Fw190 is bounced by Thunderbolts.

Attached Files:

19. JPetroski

JPetroski Chieftain

Allied Turn 58
    -Operation Jericho is launched – Amiens prison is destroyed, the Resistance is let loose, and several railyards in Northern France are destroyed!
    -I attacked and destroyed several Luftwaffe fighters near Brussels – its hard to say how many as I think that most were destroyed by their own flak
    -Rottum and Ophoven have several aircraft destroyed on the ground by the RAF
    -Bodilis AF cleared of defenders
    -Tours cleared of defenders
    -The first raid on Schweinfurt is an unmitigated disaster! I note we've taken several lumps over the past several turns. Although we're closing in on the points threshold necessary for D-Day, the Luftwaffe still seems to be an exceptionally dangerous foe.

Attached Files:

20. McMonkey

I have to say that these historical events don't seem very fair from the German players point of view. Each turn I check my defence minister to see if any historical targets have been created and there are none. I guess they must be created at the start of the Allied turn so you have a free run at attacking them before I'm even aware that they are in operation and therefore I have no way of even attempting to defend against your attacks.