Overlords...The New Campaign!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I played Britain last time for you. I'd be willing to give it a go as another civ. Any one you want tested specifically? I have no preference.

I think I played Britain last time for you. I'd be willing to give it a go as another civ. Any one you want tested specifically? I have no preference.

Looking forward to playing it. And learning how you combine Macro and Lua events. I didn't think it was possible. :confused:

Gentlemen, I'd be honoured if you guys had the time to playtest. And the events and Lua work fine together, as long as the macro events are saved in the "legacyevents" file, and the regular events file left blank.

I'm sure we'll find many bugs to iron out, but the new sounds and scenario file will lead to a fun campaign...No more Lancasters being built on island colonies!

I would think that the USSR would be an interesting choice and I'll have a go with it for you.

Looking forward to playing it. And learning how you combine Macro and Lua events. I didn't think it was possible. :confused:

As part of the Lua Scenario Template, I implemented the "macro" events in Lua. Basically, instead of Civ II reading the events from events.txt, I wrote a Lua program to read the events from legacyEvents.txt, and then interpret and apply those events the same way the base game would in the absence of Lua. I call the program that does this the 'Legacy Event Engine'.

As part of the Lua Scenario Template, I implemented the "macro" events in Lua. Basically, instead of Civ II reading the events from events.txt, I wrote a Lua program to read the events from legacyEvents.txt, and then interpret and apply those events the same way the base game would in the absence of Lua. I call the program that does this the 'Legacy Event Engine'.

Interesting. :think: Would it be possible to use the legacyEvents.txt to run an existing scenario's events without needing to add any Lua events at all?

Yes, but I think the reason you'd want to use it is so you could add one or two things via lua without necessarily having to write the entire scenario in lua. I messed around with it a bit with Germanicus once just to add arrows to the archers, etc. without rewriting the entire thing.

Lua offers amazing possibilities for making units and improvements exclusive to a civ or city, and a range other great features.
Also, it enables certain laborious macro events to be streamlined down to simple and elegant Lua versions. Very cool.

It's what attracted me to using it. Now, all my scenario projects will use Lua going forward.

Yes, but I think the reason you'd want to use it is so you could add one or two things via lua without necessarily having to write the entire scenario in lua. I messed around with it a bit with Germanicus once just to add arrows to the archers, etc. without rewriting the entire thing.

Yeah, this might just be up my alley. I really don't want to have to learn a whole new programming language, but I'm very impressed with what Lua events can do. The main thing I'd like to add to my new scenario is to require specific improvements in order to build particular types of units - aircraft factories, shipyards, etc., and to prevent Japanese units being built in conquered areas of China. (Sorry for the hijack, Curt)

Yeah, this might just be up my alley. I really don't want to have to learn a whole new programming language, but I'm very impressed with what Lua events can do. The main thing I'd like to add to my new scenario is to require specific improvements in order to build particular types of units - aircraft factories, shipyards, etc., and to prevent Japanese units being built in conquered areas of China. (Sorry for the hijack, Curt)

It looks like Overlords might be an ideal sample for you to use to do this since Curt has done essentially what you'd like. There's absolutely nothing wrong with using macro as far as you possibly can and just using lua to add a few tweaks that make the scenario better.

Also @CurtSibling I am stuck quarantining in my office with covid this weekend so drop that scenario and be my angel of mercy lol!

It looks like Overlords might be an ideal sample for you to use to do this since Curt has done essentially what you'd like. There's absolutely nothing wrong with using macro as far as you possibly can and just using lua to add a few tweaks that make the scenario better.

Also @CurtSibling I am stuck quarantining in my office with covid this weekend so drop that scenario and be my angel of mercy lol!

Hope you are OK, man.
It shall be my New Year gift. :)

OK, lads!
Here are the files!

It's the usual ToT scenario install. I am using ToTPP v0.16...Any problems, let me know!
I recommend playing with sound on. I am hoping all the wavs are the right format.

If you want to give this one a try, I would be honoured, all civs are playable,
save for the neutrals, who are not intended for human players.

Please post bugs, errors, and observations in this thread.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Overlords v2.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 49
  • Overlord Sound.zip
    7.8 MB · Views: 45
  • Overlord Sound2.zip
    10.9 MB · Views: 39
Hello Curt,

I played a first turn and maybe found a bug.
In the Mediterranean Sea the Allied attacked a German Freighter with trade units in it. After destroying the Freighter, the trade units didn't disappear with the vessel, so the AI attacked them too with the naval units.
I checked the rules file but didn't find anything wrong as the trade units are marked as ground units. I'm wondering why this happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom