Path in runtime error messages for custom Lua files is truncated in both console +log

Seraphim8400

Warlord
Code:
[29916.311] \Users\Seraphim\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\RealNameEarth (v 7)\Context Files\Historical end\HistoricalEnd: 4	3189	8432
[29916.311] Runtime Error: [string "C:\Users\Seraphim\Documents\My Games\Sid Me..."]:123: attempt to index field '?' (a nil value)
after version 135
the lua log will give a full path of the luafile
but if there is a code error
the string will cut off by the limit of character
the modder will not get the file name
it is worse than can not get the path

I really don't know anything about these matters, but did you test this with patch 1.0.1.141? According to the change log for that patch:

Re-enabled LUA library unused in the core game. It was removed because we didn’t think modders were using it, and apparently many, many are using it.

If this is still a problem, you might get a better response posting this in the C & C forum.

1.0.1.141 is same to 135
the change your Quote is mean that at 141 they re-enabled some function removed at 135
and you can look row2 of my code
the path cut off like "Sid Me..." at 135 or higher
the filename hide
but the filename is more important and useful than the path like "C:\Users\Seraphim\Documents\My Games\Sid Me..."

and what is the " C & C forum" mean ?

While the C&C forum is probably the best place to ask if anyone knows about a work-around, this is definitely a bug that started in 1.0.1.135 which is when full paths started being listed in the console/log instead of just filenames. Modders have no control over the syntax of error messages like this one, and since the filename is cut off much too early it can be quite difficult to isolate the error; having the full path listed or even the end of the path instead of the beginning of the path would be far preferable.

It must be obvious that I know nothing about LUA. :lol:

@MouseyPounds -- If you will be so kind as to confirm that the description of this bug is accurate, then I'll move this to the Confirmed Bugs forum and add it to the Bug List. Thanks.

Yep I can confirm although I'd personally word it like this: Path given in runtime error messages for custom Lua files is truncated in both console and Lua.log

Top Bottom