PBEM FAQ and Index Thread

I think I understand. The game is saved when the green plays for example, and so the loaded game starts with green. Ctrl-N finishes units only, but the player (and so the AI) can proceed the city management.

Actually it seems that as long as all units have 0 move points, the AI wont do any city management (if the units can move however, it will change the production in most cities).

Originally posted by SlowThinker
:confused: I thought the Xin's LazyCiv program is needed although you press Ctrl-N...

It is needed becouse sometimes the AI changes production when it isn't it's own turn, ie, when a city belonging to an AI civ is taken by another human player, the surounding cities belonging to that AI controlled civ will switch productions in order to counter the new threat (strangely enough, the AIs idea of countering an attack is often to build aqueducts...).

I thank to TimTheEnchanter and Henrik.
I picked unanswered questions and added new ones.
Although some sentences are declarative, all are meant as questions: comments are expected.

:confused: Is this really needed? If I click Ctrl-N although no my unit is awaken then all units (sleeping and fortified) loses remaining movement points. I can't move them and I suppose the AI neither...

I think there is another approach possible: At the end of turn, you could draw the Civ window down so that you don't see the map, press Enter and save the game (the hotseat or regular mode would have to be used in place of the net mode). Then you have probably no problems with Ctrl-N and AI changing your settings.
Originally posted by Henrik
sometimes the AI changes production when it isn't it's own turn, ie, when a city belonging to an AI civ is taken by another human player, the surounding cities belonging to that AI controlled civ will switch productions in order to counter the new threat
I supppose the hotseat or SP mode would do away with this problem, the Xin's LazyCiv program wouldn't be needed.
And why not to use the regular SP mode (you can hexedit the .sav file and set more than 1 human player)? Then we could use the cheat menu for the diplomacy (unit gifts,...), we could increase the cost of city bribing, the weaker player could play chieftain whereas the stronger one deity etc.

...I think this suspecting approach isn't tactfull. There may be people that like cheating (although I don't believe it ... ;) ). But the cheating is harder if everybody trust you and harder if it is very easy.
I think the PBEM is about confidence, you can always cheat if you want. The password may be good only if you don't want to open a different game in error.

PBEMs are generally played on the "Prince" difficulty level since it wont give bonuses to the civs which are controlled by AI (this means that units belonging to other civs wont get bonuses when one of the human players is playing his turn).
:confused: Could you tell me which bonuses? Combat bonuses? AFAIK there are no other bonuses than those for attacking barbs ...

Or must PBEM players generate their "house rules" fully for every game?

In my SP games I reload sometimes, if I forget to do something that I planned to do, or if I do a typo when moving. Of course, I have to get the game to the same situation as before (hut outcomes, battle results and injuries of units after battles...).
I don't reload if I have got a new information (new square is revealed, or a square was changed since my last visit {opponent unit, irrigation done by another player, opponent city grew...).
Is there any usual reload policy in PBEM games?

A) Limited: only within Civ2 limitations (the player can use only the means from the diplomacy menus of Civ2: offer the cease fire. set attitude to Neutral...). This can be done via Internet play eventually.
B) Free, but limited to the Civ2 world ("If you will persuade French so that they leaves vincinity of London then I will help you to attack Spanish")
C) Free, connected with the real world ("If you send me 100$ to my bank account nr. 35835754 then I will help you to attack French")

I suppose the B) free approach can omit terms like cease fire, contact etc. Are peace, war and alliance sufficient for the B)? (and should be reported to other players)

Battles:
Every battle should be reported: the type of the attacking unit, the direction where he attacked from(?). If the attacker wins then he should report the color of the injury of his winning unit.

Taking cities:
I mean the moment when a combat unit enters an empty city (not battles before this moment) or city bribing.

Wonders:
The start and the end of wonder building

Diplomacy:
Treaties: peace, war (who attacked whom), alliance in the case of "Free diplomacy", everything in the case of "Limited diplomacy".
knowledge exchange, knowledge gift, knowledge as the plunder (I think civ reports all these events by the message "French acquire Alphabet from Indians"),
declare war against an enemy (I think this is reported using the message "a secret alliance against ...")

Moving units:
I move with my horsemen besides an opponent unit and go back. should I say what happened?

I don't know if Taking cities and Battles should be reported to all the human players or the impacted one only.

Did I forget anything?

I can answer the prince level bonus thing.

The ai has different size food and sheild boxes on the different levels,The higher the level,the smaller the boxes are.
But,it is king level where the ai and human are at par.

It is becoming increasingly clear that if a player accesses the Demography screen (either by pressing F11 or via the pull-down menu), the placement of citizens gets messed up by the AI.
It appears that the program will check all cities of all civs to get the numbers for the demographics of each civ, but it is not satisfied just 'reading' the information, no: it feels it should set all cities to the most 'productive' squares in the city-radii to allow for a 'fair' comparison. We all know the AI's view on 'productivity :rolleyes:

So, if anybody feels the need to check the demographics, please use the following method:

-save your game
-have a look at the demographics
-reload the save
-play and post

Doing this, you won't mess up other players demographics.

Originally posted by SlowThinker
A note...
Does it mean that Demographics window don't bring out correct placings?

Since it seems that the AI will set the city workers of all cities of all civs to what the AI considers 'most productive', it is safe to assume that what you will get from the demography are NOT the 'values' as being set by the other players, but rather a sort of comparison of the 'average' values of the civs.

If I, for example, set all my cities to produce shields and sacrifice food, then this will not show as such in the demography, as the AI will return many city workers to producing food instead of shields.

I think the demography screen will still tell you something on the other civs, but it will not be accurate in detail.

I have no idea how the mechanism exactly works, but I have experienced this bug in four seperate PBEM's, and in three of them it is confirmed that the demography screen was accessed by other player(s) prior to my turn.

Top Bottom