PBEM: Voyage to Mongor

flyingkitty

Chieftain
I'm hosting a 3-player Large map, PBEM game with an opening for 1 more player. I

The game details are as follows:

Map: "Mongor" Game: Voyage To Mongor
Map Size: Large, no x/y wrapping (can't go through 1 end and appear at the other)

Level: Demigod (anyone who plays at Monarch level will probably be able to handle it though)
Production: Normal
Starting settlers, workers: 1 each (normal rules)
* Barbarians: Raging
* Victory Conditions: All normal ones except Diplomatic
* Random seed preserved, scientific leaders+cultural versions allowed

Players: 8 civs total, 3 players with 1 each
Civs available: All except Vikings (already chosen by player 2)
AI Civs: (unless chosen by player 3): Inca, Hittites or Portugal, Portugal, America, Iroquois

Map Details: The map has 2 main continents, a large western continent, and a large uncolonised one in the middle. Additionally, there's a north-western island, large north-eastern island, and large south eastern island.
Resources: Enough in each starting area (NOT the capital boundary) so that you don't need to hunt for essential ones. Each starting area has 2 or 3 luxury resources.
Goody huts: These are "quite" plentiful and there are 5 or 6 in each player starting area.

Special Rules:
* Vikings are now Seafaring+Expansionist
* English are now Seafaring+Expansionist

Player 1: Flyingkitty (me): Either England or Portugal
Player 2: Calis: Vikings
Player 3: ?

It's not necessary for all human tribes to be expansionistic (and only England, Portugal, Vikings are Seafaring+Expansionistic on this map), so if you change your mind about Vikings, that's fine. If you or the other player want another Expansionist Civ instead, or a non-expansionist, that's fine.

The reasons I've made England and Vikings Seafaring+Expansionist for this map (mostly to make them more powerful/playable, and actually fun to use for a change) are:
* England was originally (before Conquests) Commerical+Expansionist, which is better and more playable than Commercial+Seafaring: but on this map, there are various areas where Seafaring would be more beneficial than Commercial, and where the Seafaring gold bonus would mostly compensate...plus seafaring is helpful for this map.
* I don't see Scandinavia being "militaristic" in our modern age, the Berserkers compensate for being militaristic anyway, plus Expanionist+Seafaring makes them get ahead in the game faster. If you want them Militaristic+Seafaring, I can change it back.

The reasons I'm probably planning an Expansionist and why they're recommended for this map are: 1) an early hut settler 2) Free size 2-4 cities when the player gets goody huts on the new continent (which the AI civs won't get to before Navigation)....and as for Seafaring, it's simply going to be more beneficial than Commercial for this map.

What about the option to add the expantionistic trait as a third one to the human tribes?

That wouls leave the original C3C traits and adds the expansionistic one, which - except for the hut popping - I don't regard as very strong.

Of course that would exclude Portugal as a tribe played by the humans.

I don't want to add a 3rd trait to human civs, as it would balance things in their favour. As for Expansionist not being strong, I find it unbelievably strong when an early hut settler is produced...I suppose you might find otherwise if your playing level is much higher, but I also like the free cities from goody huts, especially when they're size 2-4. If you prefer militaristic for Vikings I can change them back to that.

I agree that popping an early settler is very beneficial. There is a reason why Russia is the top Space Ship civ in the HoF. :)

But don't get me wrong. I don't mean any offense. I'd prefer the militaristc trait for the Vikings. I want to see them from the medieval perspective and back then they were rather aggressive ;)

I have the map for this game, we were just waiting for players...not sure if Calis is still interested or not, but if not, we could play this 2 player or wait for another player.

Since posting this I've created a very similar map which will make it a challenge/interesting for even expert players. I've play-tested it and the English did really well on the map, as did the Inca or Mayans (depending on which one I chose to be in a certain spot). This new map is so good it'd even be interesting to lose an empire on it, but it wouldn't happen until the late middle ages.

Top Bottom