Pentagenesis Unit: JumpRAV 09/23/04

Neomega

Deity
Updated 09/25/04, download here, (4.61 Mb)
Here it is. 4.6 Mb zipped. Includes sounds, civ icons and units 32 icon.

the attack is a bit faster in game, so it looks more like it is flinging something, as opposed to pushing it

AttackB

This is the readme:

Feel free to use this unit in any Civilization mod!

If you wish to use it for something else, please e-mail me newmafia ΩT netscape DΩT net so I can see it in action, where-ever it may reside.

I made this with OpenFX (thanks team OpenFX), PSP7, SBB 1.04 (Thanks Steph) and Flicster (Thanks Moeniir).

This is for my Civilization III Conquests sci-fi mod "Pentagenesis". The unit is known as stormRAV in the mod, and appears in the 3rd era. As you will notice it has no ground run, as it is supposed to be a ground/air hybrid Robotic Assault Vehicle.

The complete unit has 16 files:
JumpRAV.ini
JumpRAV_DEFAULT.flc
JumpRAV_FORTIFY.flc
JumpRAV_HAIL.flc
StormRAV_HAIL.flc in updated version
JumpRAV_PLASMAWAVE.flc
StormRAV_PLASMAWAVE.flc in updated version
JumpRAV_FIDGET.flc
JumpRAV_RUN.flc
JumpRAV_JUMP.flc
JumpRAV_DEATH.flc
JumpRAV by NeOmega.txt
JumpRAV_L.pcx
JumpRAV_S.pcx
JumpRAV_u32.pcx
PlasmaWave.wav
QuadCannon.wav
Victory.wav

The conquests version of the mod will be available after October 13th, 2004.

Have fun.

NeOmega

*The StormRAV files took care of some of the alpha-blend issues associated with the plasma glowing.in updated version

Sweet unit Neo. I'm looking forward to your Conquests version of your mod. :thumbsup:

WOAHHH!!! AWESOME!!!!!!!!!! THe jumping one owns the other one. keep these coming neomega!

looks good :thumbsup:

I assume you used the glow effect for the flares?

EDIT: I just looked at the death in civ3flcedit and the death looks rather strange, the explosion looks like it was dithered or something :confused:
Also I think there's a problem with plasmawave SE (flicster bug IIRC)

Dease said:
looks good :thumbsup:

I assume you used the glow effect for the flares?

EDIT: I just looked at the death in civ3flcedit and the death looks rather strange, the explosion looks like it was dithered or something :confused:
Also I think there's a problem with plasmawave SE (flicster bug IIRC)

Glow effect: pretty much, plus a quick adjustment in PSP.

The death I had some palette issues with, mostly because magenta and red don't do too hot together. Don't intend on changing it.

The plasma wave glitch is not noticable in game.

Edit: In game the glow doesn't appear as I wished. The light looks like it has been darkened.... perhaps it's reversed... hmm...

I have done some further testing... and the 2nd row alpha bland does not seem to have any pattern... so I will not be able to improve the glow effect. :( In game it Doesn't look as cool as it does in Flicster.

"glow bug" fixed in updated version

best. future. unit.

I love this one... I wish I could get special effects that good :D

Kinboat said:

Yeah... the biggest disadvantage of Poser....... best we can do is use panels with AVI textures... that's what I do.

Kinboat said:

Well, as I noted in the FLICster thread.... Flicster shows the row after the first/final (depending on 2d program) alpha blends incorrectly... so the Special effects are not as cool in game. They appear to be more like smoke alphas, and not light. Some are white, some are dark, but there is no rhyme or reason.

Maybe you should realize one of your Pentagensis units once a month Neo, that way, it will be years before people can get all your units without playing your mod....(and I WILL be playing it once the Conquests version is out)....

I would love to, but the mod is 160 Mb zipped, so releasing all the units would take another 120+ Mb to CFC's server space.

I wanted to release a full version, and a chunked up version, so people with low speed internet could get grab various parts, and put it together. I still might, I guess I'll talk with Thunderfall about it.

09/25/04 A new version was posted, so the effects would look as cool in game as they do in FLICster. The updated version's readme should say StormRAV_HAIL.flc and StormRAV_PLASMAWAVE.flc in the file list!

EDIT: BTW, for the curious, FLICster displays the alpha blend palette positions 17-32 incorrectly, (assuming completely transparent is 1).

Postions 20, 25, and 28 are the only ones that can be used in a glow effect.

I used 255,0,255 magenta (position 1) as my transparent for this unit.
For positions 20, 25, and 28, I used :255, 192, 255: , :255, 128, 255: , and :255, 64, 255: respectively... check out the palette in stormRAV_HAIL.flc if you want to see how it is set up. But now it glows pretty good in game, (all though I wsh they used the entire 16 palette slots for the effect).

The other slots are all darker colors.

Aluminium said:
Are you sure? I never noticed such a effect. Position 28 should be a normal color of the shadow.

Btw: Great unit! :goodjob:

Yes, I tested it with a single frame flc. Took screenshots, and plan to make a palette tutorial soon. All I need to do now is figure out the non-blues of the civ colors. 20, 25, and 28, (possibly 31, but it is so faint, it would be more trouble than it's worth, I am sure) are the only ones that add white to the color they are overlapping, the other ones add shades of dark gray.

Thanks for this info.

For the civ-colors, I think the order is following: 0-15 is obvious. 16-63, Civ-color and non-civ-color does alternate. That means 16 is a CC and 17 not, etc. The CCs are grouped in 8 gradation of three. That's what I know.

Top Bottom