Perennial losers

Bad Wolf

King
So in your games - who always goes down and goes down hard?

For my part I've never seen Babylon, India, America, Japan, the Aztecs or Egypt fare particularly well. Egypt is particularly unfortunate - by building every wonder, plus their burial tombs, they're just too tempting a target! The Aztecs, Japan and America I assume just annoy too many people and get gang-flanked, and Gandhi is a pushover. I don't understand why Babylon always fails though... perhaps they just peak too early?

I have far too often seen poor Boudicca fall behind in tech, get gang-flanked, and lose. There hasn't been a single game whereas either I or another AI has not taken her capital (Eigenberg).

In my games it's Isabella.

Apparently AIs can't stand her personality either :lol:

Everybody hates Isabella, something she totally brings upon herself, so it's a nice synergy. Venice is a strong capital which takes forever to buy City States due to AI incompetence and can't defend itself very well. Plus Dandy's penchant for betrayal doesn't suit it very well there.

Greece always goes down hard in my games. At some point he ends up catching the ire of every civilization on the map and they usually end up declaring war on him in unison. He doesn't seem to understand that he can't conquer the world with his classical-era units well into the Renaissance Era. Haha

Another that never seems to do well is China, and I'll never understand this. Always behind in tech, always low production, small cities, and always a low city count. Pretty much the exact opposite of what they are kinda supposed to be good at doing! They usually just chill out somewhere with their three cities until a more aggressive neighbor devours them. :(

AI Boudicca just sucks.

I just had a small continents game where she had by far the most room to expand (which she actualld di) and nobody declared war on her and she still couldn't get any respectable culture or science going on. If she doesnt have room she gets either wiped out in the early game or makes it into industrial with a pathetic 2 city empire only to be wiped out a bit later.

Maria of Portugal

Despite expanding like crazy all over known continents and islands, she is always an outsider with MASSIVE negative GPT and happines.

Alexander
Always
Gets
Destroyed

Seriously, this guy can NEVER catch a break. In GnK, he would always get steamrolled. In BNW, he always gets steamrolled. I often revive or help him, just our of sheer pity.

In my game, Alexander is always the runway civ I can't deal with.
Also I have picked on poor Maria Theresa of Austria far too many times, I'm afraid. Her snobbiness gets the better of me, and I end up "accidently" taking one or all of her cities.

I believe the capital of the Welsh is Edinburgh, oh wait that's the Scots..... :lol:

Whatever. I guess the world isn't ready for Boudicca's scantily clad ways.

Venice- The AI can't manage them at all

China-Inexplicable but I guess maybe it's partly because the AI can't manage generals very well.

The Celts-She always builds up some big early rush which inevitably fails then she's behind the rest of the game.

Portugal-She seems quick to denounce and makes enemies early then ignores medieval military techs to rush to her non-military UU and her swords and compbows get crushed by some one else's longswords and crossbows. I like having her as a neighbor because I know I can stomp her in the medieval anytime I want.

Babylon-The AI Babylon is terrible and since arts funding gets passed by the AI in nearly every game his UA takes a hit (I know he's still producing GSs 50% faster than everyone else but he's also producing them 33% slower than he should be which means he'll spawn fewer than he should over the course of the game). I really find this confusing. He should be the runaway but never is.

Japan-I don't know why but he just always falls behind and does nothing. His UA should actually be good for the AI considering their zerg tactics but it doesn't seem to help.

Songhai and Carthage. I always seem to see them at the bottom of the leaderboard. Once, Askia didn't build a second city ever, so at the Industrial era he had only his capital. WITH 8 POPULATION.

Venice - in my opinion, there is no AI script for merchant. Even when CS is next to it.

Venice- The AI can't manage them at all

I guess it depends how the dice roll and maybe on play style (you might be very succesfull at preventing Venice from getting what the AI is good at handling it). I've got a few games playing Portugal with Venice as the runaway (culture and science) with a huge army/navy to protect its little enclave of 3 cities. In another game he was right behind me until Bismarck got Panzers and finally wiped him out.

For me it's 50/50. Either the AI never manages to kickstart Venice and it's gone or crippled by the mid-game at the latest, or it gets a good start for growth, enough CS in its area for early TR and then good puppets, a tech lead and with all this a pick at key Wonders, and he remains one of the top three civs to the end.

Civs that almost always collapse in my games:

- Carthage: often gets good start, makes bitter enemies early, get chained denounced and reduced to 1-2 cities. She occasionally survive to pick an ideology but is often a civ that never gets one in my games. I lost count of the number of games in which I had to resurrect her to get her WC delegates.
- Celts: go wide and fall behind. Not often wiped out completely but beyond spamming religion they're often the cripple of my games.
- Songhai: they always end up conquered, though some time it only happens late game
- China: often have great starts but then she gets conquered.
- France: too peaceful, tries to go for Culture and fails and stagnates
- Maya: One of the first to be conquered or reduced to a minor civ, usually. In my recent game he had a decent start, then stupidly killed a CS when land became scarce, and made himself the black sheep and lost his capital and his second best city in Classical.
- Sweden: always gets embroiled in bitter conflicts for some reason, is too weak for them and gets crippled by an aggressive civ like Rome early.

Underperformers often include Japan, Russia, Portugal and the Netherlands.

In my numeorus games these are the worst Civs:

America
Maya
Songhai
Aztecs
Carthage
Polinesia
France

These grew then always attack me and die:
Greece
Arabs
India
Germany
Japan
Poland
Shoshone
Austria
Huns

The others sometimes are aggressive sometimes are very quiet and remissive so I can't judge them underperformers...

Egypt is particularly unfortunate - by building every wonder, plus their burial tombs, they're just too tempting a target!

This just happened in my current game. And I was the one who couldn't resist taking them! :ar15:

Top Bottom