performance

rrr11r

Chieftain
I was wondering if anyone is running or has considered running civ v from an ssd drive and what improvement I might get if I installed civ v on an ssd drive

Basically any game that loads textures/other stuff during your play will perform better apart from the the obvious faster loading and saving games.

So yeah you would gain a few FPS.

You can always try? what do you have to lose? just move the 'steamapps' folder from the HDD to the SSD and you can run it from there.
No extra downloading required apart from the steam update which takes a minute or 2. x.x

I did have Civ V on my SSD drive for a long while, along with the "My Games" folder etc. However since reinstalling Win 7 I haven't bothered to do that as there was very little real difference noted at all in performance during the game. Maybe it loaded fractionally quicker but that was about it.
As I have just installed Shogun 2 TW that has made my Steam folder too large now to fit on my SSD and so it is now on my mechanical drive.
If you have the spare capacity then you could try it out and even if you notice a difference at the beginning you will soon "adapt" to that but going back to the std HD didn't make me miss any of the small noted benefits of using the SSD.

I've tried Civ5 both on my old drive and on my SSD, but I don't notice any difference during gameplay and hardly during loading, although it loads a bit faster on my SSD.

And a small tip, something I use to put my most played games on SSD and the rest on a different (slower) drive: I use Steam tool (a little program) to choose what folder or disk I install my different games on.
By default Steam will put all games in one folder, which can be a bit annoying, especially since SSD's aren't that big, but with Steam tool you can choose to only put your favourite games, or games that benefit most on your SSD :)
It's also handy when the drive you've installed Steam on starts to get full.

The only difference I have noticed is that it takes significantly less time to load the maps. If you are playing on huge maps it is worth it for this alone if you have the space on the SSD.

Anyway, most games have a design that allow them to load everything they will need at a given time (loading, transitions, etc) and then never hit the hard drive again, as long as the memory is large enough to hold everything. For those games, a SSD drive doesn't give more fps if you do have enough memory (and if you can afford a SSD, you can afford RAM), only shorter loading times or faster alt+tab (since the game memory can be moved to the hard drive while you're on your browser).

The exceptions are typically games with a continuous world (elder scrolls, mmorpg, etc).

Top Bottom