Pericles has a wrong helmet...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Were there complaints about how the leaders looked historically inaccurate before Civ5 came out? The one complaint I remember the most was about an expansion pack leader, Gustavus Adolphus, looking like another Swedish king.

Also can we be happy that the travesty of Alexander leading Greece is no more...

Well, I'd say that no logical reasoning would dictate that Alexander leading Greece was a travesty, I feel that is a something of a hyperbole. I can though understand you feeling that his reign does not well personify what his nation has generally been about, and is not in line with the bonuses his Civ gets, but that never used to be a problem- previous Civ games did not always have leaders who had to be particularly connected to their civ abilities for example Napoleon leading a culture based France.

Were there complaints about how the leaders looked historically inaccurate before Civ5 came out? The one complaint I remember the most was about an expansion pack leader, Gustavus Adolphus, looking like another Swedish king.

Yeah, the leader in the game was based on a mixture of Gustavus Adolphus and Eric XIV.

There was also an issue with Siam's leader looking like the (unpopular) Thai Prime Minister as well. And a potential sacrilege involving Buddha statues in the background (which were removed for his appearance on the official Civ website, but not in-game).

But overall not as many complaints for Civ V as for Civ VI.

Civ VI's art team is trying to go stylized, which is fine, but it backfires when the in-game leaders look nothing like their real life counterparts (Teddy Roosevelt looking like Taft, Pedro looking like an Aardman animation, inaccurate armaments on Barbarossa and Pericles, etc).

Eh, he wad a general, but he was also a politician. So his design is what the average person thinks what a Classical Greek politician looked like.

The designer of this LH had for sure Solon in mind when making him. But his boss thinks no average person knows Solon, thats why they changed the name again.

I would say Solon would be an excellent choice for a leader of greece and everyone should know him.

The designer of this LH had for sure Solon in mind when making him. But his boss thinks no average person knows Solon, thats why they changed the name again.

I would say Solon would be an excellent choice for a leader of greece and everyone should know him.

I think you're right! The in-game Pericles looks a LOT more like Solon than Pericles.

The leaders are stylized if you havent noticed. Who is to say that he didn't have a helmet like this one year - nobody knows. Do you wear the same clothes every day all your life?

Nupe, but I never wear a piece of clothes that I can't wear because the hole for the head is missing.
And that's the problem with that helmet, he just can't wear it because there is no place to fit the nose while you put it.
Otherwise, he just look perfect and his beard...oh my gosh I want to pass my day petting that beard.

People complained Caesar was too skinny for Civ IV (I agree). Also they have three fair haired leaders in Civ VI so far (Harald, Pedro and Philip), yet they are all given dark hair for some reason.

People complained Caesar was too skinny for Civ IV (I agree). Also they have three fair haired leaders in Civ VI so far (Harald, Pedro and Philip), yet they are all given dark hair for some reason.

They all had darkish brown hair, no? They weren't "fair" headed per se, imo. I agree that Pedro's hair should not be black though.

They all had darkish brown hair, no? They weren't "fair" headed per se, imo. I agree that Pedro's hair should not be black though.

Pedro's hair was reddish blond. Philip's was medium-to-dark blond. We don't have contemporary accounts of Harald, but Snorri Sturluson says he was "fair-haired." So no, none of them had brown hair.

Pedro's hair was reddish blond. Philip's was medium-to-dark blond. We don't have contemporary accounts of Harald, but Snorri Sturluson says he was "fair-haired." So no, none of them had brown hair.

To be fair, the hair color is the least noticeable flaw with their in-game representation IMO. They look almost nothing like their real-life counterparts. Philip is noticeably more robust in-game, with swagger, while Pedro has none of the seriousness and gravity that his face bears even from a young age.

To be fair, the hair color is the least noticeable flaw with their in-game representation IMO. They look almost nothing like their real-life counterparts. Philip is noticeably more robust in-game, with swagger, while Pedro has none of the seriousness and gravity that his face bears even from a young age.

I'd say rather that all of it together is symptomatic of ahistorical portrayals of many of the leaders (which is interesting, given that in other cases, like Tomyris, they went to great lengths to be reasonably accurate): wrong hair colors (in all the games she's featured, we've yet to see Isabella with her signature strawberry blonde hair), anachronistic clothing (varying from "accurate but wrong period" for Barbarossa to straight-up fantasy for Monty), wrong personalities, etc. I love the art style, but I'd personally like to see more attention to detail in the accuracy of the portrayals myself. It's not a deal breaker, but it would be something nice to have.

...and Gilgamesh (a mythical figure) will be in Civ VI, just like in Civ IV.

It would be impossible to debate the accuracy of Gilgamesh's appearance.

Of course it will be possible to debate his appearance. We didn't see him in game yet, but I'm pretty sure Gilgamesh will have the wrong beard :lol:

...and Gilgamesh (a mythical figure) will be in Civ VI, just like in Civ IV.

It would be impossible to debate the accuracy of Gilgamesh's appearance.

Correction: Gilgamesh, a historical figure of whom legends were also told, will be in Civ VI, just like in Civ IV. Though, incidentally, his Sumerian name was Bilgamesh; Gilgamesh is the Akkadian form. Though the depictions weren't contemporary, Gilgamesh was widely depicted in both Sumerian and Akkadian art, leaving us plenty of room to discuss his appearance. ;)

In my opinion the leaders were best portrayed in..

CIVILIZATION I !!! 25 years ago!

Look at the Alexander - you can feel the power and agressiveness (indeed Greece was aggressive in Civ). And these dynamic backgrounds changing along with governments... You instantly knew what level of advancement he achieved and how strong he is militarily (by number of advisors behind his back)
Spoiler :

In later games he looked like a silly boy from mid-american college.

Now compare Napoleon in Civ4 (scared middle-aged blue collar guy):
Spoiler :

And Civ 1 (scary, proud emperor):
Spoiler :

In my opinion the leaders were best portrayed in..
CIVILIZATION I !!! 25 years ago!

self evident part 1 was the best:old:

And really with just some small things like the men in the background there were so many informations on one screen without the need to read or search a lot in the various screens.

I would prefer if the diplomatic screen of civ 6 gives more information to the player in that easy way:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom