1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Permanent alliance alters techs brokered status

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Unofficial Patches' started by Minor Annoyance, Jul 5, 2009.

1. Minor Annoyance

Minor Annoyance Chieftain

I was the first to research Biology which I traded to Greece, but not to superpower Rome, who they were fighting, when Julius Caesar demanded it. He soon declared war and I joined Pericles in a permanent alliance. Later I realized I was no longer able to trade away biology because I had taken on the brokered status on the technology when I joined the alliance.
    This was on 3.17 with better AI 0.60.

2. jdog5000

jdog5000 Revolutionary

I can see exactly how that happened ... in CvTeam::addTeam() where permanent alliances are created, there's a call to CvTeam::shareCounters(). In there, whenever one team has a tech set as a isNoTradeTech, then the merged team will as well.

The fix is just to switch the polarity ... clear isNoTradeTech if it is not true for either team (and they have researched the tech ...). That will work out just fine in all circumstances from what I see.

BTW, did you know that with No Tech Brokering on, you can trade a tech the first turn you acquire it? The mechanism which blocks tech brokering and trading on the first turn are the same, and with the way Firaxis has it setup they can't do both.

3. Elkad

Elkad Chieftain

Hmm. Assuming normal trading would it be possible to block trades for 10 turns instead of 1? (or some other number)

4. Ninja2

Ninja2 Great Engineer

Acquiring, you say. So if I gain a tech from trading, with No Tech Brokering on, I can sell it to another AI the turn I've acquired it ONLY? I shouldn't be able to. Clearly an exploit. Is this something which only the human can do, or can the AI do it as well? If so, that should be fixed. :)

5. jdog5000

jdog5000 Revolutionary

Sorry, meant to say the turn you've finished researching it ... brokering never works under No Tech Brokering, but the normal block on trading a tech you just completed researching doesn't apply in this case. Sorry for the confusion.

Not easily, it would require changing how the system works. Right now it's just a boolean, there'd need to be a counter.