Petting

I'm hoping for the next patch to extend this ability to pet the cats...
Maybe the reason it makes sense to me that you can't pet cats is that I've watched too much "My Cat from Hell." :p

"One does not simply pet a cat". Well, Lizzy would certainly disagree. In fact, she complains when I stop petting her.

On the other hand ... she definitely isn’t a cat enjoying to accompany a scout in the wilderness. In fact I can imagine her hiding in the back back and never setting a foot on this unsettling and dangerous “outside” thingy.

Not going to lie, am slightly sad that there isn't a "pet the cat" animation.

To OP -- When I saw the name of the thread I was like whaaaaat? And then I got disappointed because it was civ6 related. Same exact feelings you felt about Pet button :pat:

As someone playing the game, I'de have more fun playing it, if they spent the time they wasted on the "pet" feature on fixing even a single bug in the game instead.

Serious about that. I would have preferred they didn't bother with the lame pet feature, and maybe paid more attention to the current Replaceable Parts and Metal Casting eureka bugs. (They didn't update it from build 3 musketman to build 3 lineman, and Metal Casting from 2 bombards to 2 trebs on the tech tree). My last game got pretty annoying when I wasted time trying to complete the mis-labeled eurekas. It would have been much more fun if those weren't wrong, than some button I pushed one time and thought. "Huh, that was dumb"

As someone playing the game, I'de have more fun playing it, if they spent the time they wasted on the "pet" feature on fixing even a single bug in the game instead.

Serious about that. I would have preferred they didn't bother with the lame pet feature, and maybe paid more attention to the current Replaceable Parts and Metal Casting eureka bugs. (They didn't update it from build 3 musketman to build 3 lineman, and Metal Casting from 2 bombards to 2 trebs on the tech tree). My last game got pretty annoying when I wasted time trying to complete the mis-labeled eurekas. It would have been much more fun if those weren't wrong, than some button I pushed one time and thought. "Huh, that was dumb"
I don't think that's how it works. You can't just get an animator to test and fix bugs.

Also, the two issues are not related. You may be annoyed by the 'feature' when bugs still persist (and new ones are formed by the patch), but that's not because they were 'too busy' making a pet the dog feature

It takes far longer to fix a bug than to insert a feature like that. It's like complaining that someone got you a snack from the fridge that they should have spent that time cooking you a meal. Yeah, maybe the meal wiuid have been more appreciated, but just because they had the time to grab you a snack doesn't mean they had the time to cook you a meal. In fact, one probably wouldn't even significantly impact the ability to do the other.

Additionally, someone said that it was done in the free time of one of the workers. If true, then there really is no grounds for complaint and we should be grateful.

It takes far longer to fix a bug than to insert a feature like that. It's like complaining that someone got you a snack from the fridge that they should have spent that time cooking you a meal. Yeah, maybe the meal wiuid have been more appreciated, but just because they had the time to grab you a snack doesn't mean they had the time to cook you a meal. In fact, one probably wouldn't even significantly impact the ability to do the other.

Additionally, someone said that it was done in the free time of one of the workers. If true, then there really is no grounds for complaint and we should be grateful.

And generally when someone grabs you a snack from the fridge the appropriate thing to say is "thank you".

A closer analogy would be expecting the cool uncle who cand do sweet wood working projects but struggles to make Mac n Cheese right to fix you a three course dinner instead of building a toy airplane.

An animator put a feature into the game similar to the dumb dances or spoken Easter eggs of other games and entitled players are here pissed off about it.

And generally when someone grabs you a snack from the fridge the appropriate thing to say is "thank you".

not when the snack they bring you is something that disgusts you.

Thanks for the black liquorice and raw onions Firaxis.

Last edited:
If the existence of a pet the dog easter egg disgust you as much as eating raw onions, that would seem to be a you thing.

I was just making a dumb analogy, like the multiple people before me crying in defense of the amazing animation that has truly made the game so much better for everyone :)

not when the snack they bring you is something that disgusts you.
That just seems like unnecessary hyperbole, in my opinion. I understand if people didn't necessarily like the petting animation, I don't hate or love the feature myself, but don't you think "disgusts" is overexaggerating even just a little bit?

Last edited:
What were animators (who, again, don't fix programing bugs) supposed to do with the little amount of time this took that would have brought more quality to the game, then?

The problem wasn't the analogy, incidentally. The problem is that you use disgust to desrive your feelings over a trivial and inoffensive easter egg. That's a massive overreaction.

I was just making a dumb analogy, like the multiple people before me crying in defense of the amazing animation that has truly made the game so much better for everyone :)
No one is really defending it...just pointing out it's not gotten in the way of other, better things. It was a choice of having it, or not. Personally, I couldn't care less. It amused me for five seconds and then became an extra button on the UI that I don't use. It's not done you or anyone else any significant harm, so why get so worked up about it?

Literally, the complaining on here about the button has done more harm than the actual feature...

Top Bottom