PH15-not. Birds of a Feather.

The tale of Pholkherocles continues in the year 3120 AD. Or BC? Don't know if we might actually be going back in time somehow. Anyway:

Pre: decide to build an extra warrior before the settler to have one for scouting the northern coast and another one to join the settler afterwards.

3120 The southern cloning device product a.k.a. scout moves to the SW and sees the borders of Pacal's lands.

3000 This same scout continues exploring a bit along Pacal's border and sees a hut he left untouched, which he duly pops. Expecting to see him self doubled he's a bit disappointed at the result. At home however people rejoice the new Classical Era with the advent of the Iron Age! :dance: IW from a hut is not bad indeed.

2920 AH is in and start on Wheel.

2800 We meet Bismarck.

2760 We meet Boudica.

2720 The northern scout has a near death experience again, surviving at 0.0 health.
Wheel in, start Agriculture.

2640 Settler built with the help of some chops. Decide to immediately queue an extra worker as he'll be badly needed.

2520 Agri in, start Masonry. We found Engineering City at the lakeside, to be conveniently polluted over the next milennia. Long term better at this site than on the coast as it will have many more hills and more grassland to be farmed. EC starts on a warrior.

2480 Second worker comes online. Start a barracks in the capital, basically to let it grow in the meanwhile. Start farming a floodplain to that end, despite it being cottage heaven.

2280 Masonry is in and select pottery, hand it over. All units have movement left. There's a worker next to engineering city, guess we'll have to get the rice up first. Or the stone. Or phants maybe? Next player may decide :lol:. The other worker is on a forested hill next to capital for another chop.

Here's a picture of our immediate vicinity. Note we have iron, horse and also marble way up north. No sea food up north unfortunately though. Warrior (who was viciously attacked by a lion and had to heal a good number of turns) is heading towards the borders in the north east (near the iron) to look for sea food there.

If no sea food shows up anywhere, a good place to settle may be 2S of that eastern iron on the plains hill, picking up sheep and wheat. On the south eastern peninsula we could then have another city picking up bronze and rice (2W1S of bronze).

I still fancy my previously proposed science city, more so now horse would be in the BFC as well (settle 2W of horse).

The only practical problem is how to get marble decently within our borders. Any city with marble in its BFC look mediocre-ish at best. Maybe 1SW of it to share sheep and horse with science city and on a plains hill. But then it's 1 tile off the coast which doesn't looks well either.

More to the west the land looks like this:

Pacal is immediately south of the dyes while Boudica is directly to his west. They founded buddhism and hinduism respectively, so they'll keep eachother busy in the foreseeable future :). More west is Bismarck.

In the northern part of the shown territory we could conceivably think of so some interesting spots to settle beyond the desert.

Attachments

• Pholkherocles BC-2280.CivBeyondSwordSave
    57.5 KB · Views: 64
Roster
nocho- just played
r_rolo1-UP (unless he wants another swop)
meiz on deck
LKEndter
Diamondeye
Thy Spellcraft (unless its before 29/5)
pigswill

Good news on IW. I'd reckon improve rice first to get that city growing. If we're running slavery for a large portion of the game (likely imo) then science city will only be running 2 scientists in addition to Glib freebies so 2 food sources would be plenty for it.

We're going to need metal and have three sources available so need to decide on which one to take.

I'm wondering about getting out some fogbusting warriors in the not too distant future.
Marble is interesting. Having it available would be a huge boost to wonder-spamming but would lead to a pretty mediocre city.

If no sea food shows up anywhere, a good place to settle may be 2S of that eastern iron on the plains hill, picking up sheep and wheat. On the south eastern peninsula we could then have another city picking up bronze and rice (2W1S of bronze).

I still fancy my previously proposed science city, more so now horse would be in the BFC as well (settle 2W of horse).

The only practical problem is how to get marble decently within our borders. Any city with marble in its BFC look mediocre-ish at best. Maybe 1SW of it to share sheep and horse with science city and on a plains hill. But then it's 1 tile off the coast which doesn't looks well either.

I agree with nocho's city suggestions. In my opinion, that medicore marble city should be our priest city. Oracle should be easy to get with marble.

Iron spot could be our military city and rice/bronze city could be for artists. What else does it need to do than build the fricking Pantheon? :lol:.

There's some nice green land SW of engineer city, so I'd settle our merchant city there. Maybe SE of horses, for lot of farms and some bananas. We would have to hurry before Pacal gets there though...

I agree with nocho's city suggestions.
Always good to hear! :goodjob::lol:
In my opinion, that medicore marble city should be our priest city. Oracle should be easy to get with marble.

Iron spot could be our military city and rice/bronze city could be for artists. What else does it need to do than build the fricking Pantheon? :lol:.

There's some nice green land SW of engineer city, so I'd settle our merchant city there. Maybe SE of horses, for lot of farms and some bananas. We would have to hurry before Pacal gets there though...
I think it may be better to let mediocre marble city be the artist city. We'll probably be too late for the Oracle anyway. Obviously the Parthenon (and not the Pantheon as I see you consistently call it :p) also needs marble and as you rightly say what else does artist city really need to build. Having priest city way up at the marble and artist city way down south needs lots of roading to get marble online for southern artist city. Although if both would be coastal and we'd have sailing it should have access anyway, I guess, if we unfog the sea route. Anyhow, that'll need more settlers before being able to start on the Parthenon, so I'd propose artist near the marble. Probably on that plains hill (the Parthenon really ought to be on a hill, right :)) for maxing out production with the hill itself, marble, horse, sheep. Once Parthenon is built we can give horse and sheep back to science city and let those artists do their creative things till the end of time in the middle of their barren surroundings... Priest can be the rice/copper place so with Maoi which was a priest wonder iirc wouldn't be that bad for production long term.

The merchant city you propose doesn't sound bad by itself, but I think it's a very long shot. Pacal is really close by and we'll need to settle at least 2 cities before that.

Oh, and about the worker near engineering city, I'll leave the mm-ing to next player, but wanted to suggest that as he's on a forest right now, it may be a good idea to chop it right away for a second worker. After that I might actually hook up stone before the rice so EC can start on the Pyramids right after that worker build.

EDIT: As we need polytheism to build the Parthenon I'd propose the tech path be something like pottery, writing, myst, poly, aesthetics, literature. Maybe throw in archery somewhere for when the barbs show up.

The way I think we're going to win this game is through early conquest: we're limited to eight cities, only two of them are really allowed decent research (cottage and science city) and the longer we leave it the harder the game becomes.

We're pretty much going for initial cities based on resources needed (metal, stone and marble). I reckon that after aesthetics>lit we go for HbR/construction and aim to wipe out the AIs with elepult/sword army as soon as possible.

Therefore I'm not too worried about us building that many cities: a capital with Great Wall becomes Spy City, Stonehenge capital gives us Priest City and so on. Obviously if a city has mixed wonders (eg ToA or Oracle+Hanging Gardens) we'll have to raze it to keep to the variant.

If anyone else has ideas on how we're going to win and what we need to do to achieve it then share them with the team.

The way I think we're going to win this game is through early conquest: we're limited to eight cities, only two of them are really allowed decent research (cottage and science city) and the longer we leave it the harder the game becomes.

We're pretty much going for initial cities based on resources needed (metal, stone and marble). I reckon that after aesthetics>lit we go for HbR/construction and aim to wipe out the AIs with elepult/sword army as soon as possible.

Therefore I'm not too worried about us building that many cities: a capital with Great Wall becomes Spy City, Stonehenge capital gives us Priest City and so on. Obviously if a city has mixed wonders (eg ToA or Oracle+Hanging Gardens) we'll have to raze it to keep to the variant.

If anyone else has ideas on how we're going to win and what we need to do to achieve it then share them with the team.
We do have more room then we did last game, but indeed with all the desert around it's difficult to find 7 prime spots to settle, so a quest for Lebensraum might be in order. And it'd be more fun too :). So getting Pacal out of the way rather soon sounds fine to me to settle around there. I think though that the original variant didn't allow keeping captured cities.

Anyway, I think we'll have to settle science, artist and probably military (at a metal source) cities ourselves first though.

With Pacal's land probably we have enough room for the eight-city greek confederacy and from there on we apply scourged earth method, first through Boudica's land then Bismarck's and finally Qin's and Mehmed's, wherever they may hang out.

Yes, this sounds like a plan! But I'm not sure whether we really should try to conquer the whole world early on. I'd stop after Pacal to build up our empire to continue the conquest with a more medieval army.

Sounds good as well..

I'd rather raise them, 'cause we won't be able to look into the cities and theire GP-pool. So rather destroy a wonder than conquering a polluted pool.. ;)

So I too would suggest to settle our artist city SE of marble. But where to put our military city? Best for me seems 1N2E of the southern rice (or 1 S2W of the copper) as it provides the best production facilities nearby. But it won't grab iron...

Technically third city should be science city for Glib imo (though all cities are allowed to build military).

Ok, fast set....

Nothing really happened :( ( i'm starting to miss SGs where the burden of rough times goes over my head....ooops, did I said that loud? :p )....

First, we met a leader I truly dislike ( and that usually call "the rat" ). He's on the far NW.
Spoiler :

Then we finished pottery
Spoiler :

And you know that pholk isn't playing when you see this :D
Spoiler :

The rest of the set was quite peaceful, excet that fact that barb archers started to appear..... our empire:
Spoiler :

As you can see, I started the mids in our Eng city ( mostly for the lack of anything else to do :p ) and we will have a settler ready as soon as we hit enter. I also queued Aesthetics after writing, but there are no beakers invested.

Attachments

• Pholkherocles BC-1840.CivBeyondSwordSave
    66.9 KB · Views: 75
Got it, but I'll have to play soon already. I'm thinking to settle science city while teching towards Aesthestics. We also need more workers, chariots for defense and another settler for the _Parthenon_ :p. Let's see how much I can accomplish within 15 turns.

Turn 1

Open borders with everyone, but we might need to cancel some of those once religion modifiers start to kick in.

Capital is set for max growth as we are far away from happy cap.

Turn 3

Massive barbarian uprising appears somewhere, luckily nowhere near us.

Turn 4

Settle scientist city and spot a barbarian archer right next to our borders. Feeling lucky?

Turn 5

Yeah, the archer disappears. Make a mental note: CHARIOTS ASAP!

Turn 8

Bismarck founds Judaism in Hamburg, so we have three different religion founders. Diplomacy might be tricky... :p

Turn 12

Bismarck builds stonehenge, so expect a shrine for judaism.

Turn 14

We get herbalist event and I take the gamble, even if it means unhappiness for our capital.

Turn 15

Gamble pays off and we gain +2 health (although also lost 1 population in our cities...)! We also met Mehmed this turn and opened borders with him aswell.

Well, that was a quick one! We have couple of workers finishing soon so that should be enough for now. Capital should start a settler for artists spot and we better get some defenses up after horse pasture is done.

Edit: Just realized that I added a sign where the Parthenon is again the Pantheon. Please don't hit me! :D

Roster
nocho
r_rolo1
meiz
LKEndter - UP
Diamondeye
Thy Spellcraft (unless its before 29/5)
pigswill

It is in the queue for Monday night at the earliest.

1240 BC
My big worry is military. We need copper or iron connected soon. Yet we have the pressure for Parthenon city ASAP. It is a frustrating start for metal access.

1120 BC
(IT) I research polytheism to open up the Parthenon.

1000 BC
I research archery. We can start building chariots.

975 BC
:eek: Barbs are crossing our borders, and all we have are warriors. :eek:
I then find out we didn't revolt to slavery, so I can't whip emergency defense. A revolt to slavery is immediately ordered.
(IT) We just lost engineering city.

I am stopping hear. IMHO this game is toasted.
Sorry team, but I inherited a farmer's gambit. We lost...

Let me know where to go from here.

IMHO a restart is called for.

Uhh... that doesn't sound too good :(. Save would still come handy to take a closer look at the situation.

Geez, we seem to be doomed! :( Is it the ghost of pholkhero haunting us? :lol:

I'm fine either with a third try or the cheesy option of LKendter replaying the set with the knowledge that immediate revolt to slavery and research of archery is called for. Continuing from this point were we lost EC does not have much sense.

Why quit when it just got interesting?

Collective carelessness leading to a major setback. Pholkhero must be really proud of us!

What are the odds of knocking up a bunch of chariots and retaking barb city (formerly known as eng city) and still building pyramids, parthenon (mustn't forget parthenon) and glib before anyone else? Low? 'A million to one chance but it just might work'?

lurker comment: so sorry to read this... good luck for next set/reroll! :)
Spoiler :
but next time, connect horse or whatever resource you have asa it is in borders... this should always take priority over a cottage, even on floodplain ;)

Top Bottom