Pigs in Space???

darski

Regent in Training
I would like to try for a quick (quickest) space race game.

Continents & Small map.

Which Civ would you recommend to get there as quickly as possible?

I am really leaning to Greece for those extra coins and the science advantage. Which Civ could likely be a quicker achiever? I know Korea offers those same traits but the Hoplite is just too valuable early on.

I plan to cancel domination and cultural VC's just to be safe :lol:

Russia by far is the best if you're prepared to exploit a little:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=90442

Essentially use goody huts to get some free techs (small map might not let you get the whole ancient age [especially on continents]) and then gain extra free techs by gifting scientfic opponents forwards an trading for their free techs before you get yours.

If you don't want to bend the rules then most of the scientific civs have good things going for them; particularly Byzantines--seafaring gives extra commerce to coastal cities, or Sumeria--grow faster = research faster.

yeah - that does seem like a good plan. I might even try a standard map to make it more interesting. Thanks... good idea.

Any scientific civ is the best choice for a game like this - half price libs/unis & free techs make them the kind of research.

Sumeria for expansion, korea or greece for less corruption, slightly more coins, great starting tech, byzantine for coastal bonus, ottoman or persia for harder working workers, russia for hut popping. Germany and Babylon aren't great, though cutting turns off of anarchy is nothing to sneeze at.

i'm not so experienced, but probably a Scientific/Industrious, if i don't recall, industrious build the spaceship parts faster? and the scientific researches the technology faster.. I'm not sure but that's just my 2 cents

What level are you playing this at Darksi, if you are regent or below then Russia is probably best, with russia you can set science research to zero until you pop writing, then start on philosophy but dont complete till code of laws is popped, take republic as free tech (you should pop literature before code of laws), once in republic spend the money saved on libraries and settlers.

What level are you playing this at Darksi, if you are regent or below then Russia is probably best, with russia you can set science research to zero until you pop writing, then start on philosophy but dont complete till code of laws is popped, take republic as free tech (you should pop literature before code of laws), once in republic spend the money saved on libraries and settlers.

I play at warlord. I just can't seem to go higher.

I haven't tried this lately... time to go back and try it one more time. Thanks for the reminder gents.

definitely go russia. I highly recommend popping huts until you get a settler or a town, which means not building one right off ;)

Industrious has faster workers and gets an extra shield in large cities - no real effect on spaceship part production, however.

I am playing as Russia but I sure miss my Commercial trait. I can't get any money together and my research is pathetic.

Well .. something just happened.. I was suddenly able to raise my science to get Nav in 4 turns. At this point I need the science more than the money but I can't upgrade and by cossacks will come very dearly in this game. so much for a little war music.

I hope to get Smith's and then maybe I can do some upgrades. One thing it is doing is forcing me to cut way back on defense. I am actually leaving cities without defenders this time.

One thing it is doing is forcing me to cut way back on defense. I am actually leaving cities without defenders this time.

Once you get those rails up you want need much military

Someone please quote this and re-post this for Darski. I think she has me blocked due to some things I said before.

Darski,

How has Russia gone for you? Do you research optional techs? I agree with Bartleby and AutomatedTeller pretty much for HoF games, but I have a feeling you play with a very, very different style than I did, AutomatedTeller does, or Bartleby does, so I'm not sure Russia quite fits for you. I believe Sumeria would work best for you. Not quite sure though. However, scientific is the way to go.

Spoonwood said:
Someone please quote this and re-post this for Darski. I think she has me blocked due to some things I said before.

Darski,

How has Russia gone for you? Do you research optional techs? I agree with Bartleby and AutomatedTeller pretty much for HoF games, but I have a feeling you play with a very, very different style than I did, AutomatedTeller does, or Bartleby does, so I'm not sure Russia quite fits for you. I believe Sumeria would work best for you. Not quite sure though. However, scientific is the way to go.

I don't play Space Race, Small Maps, or Continents, so I'm completely unqualified to give advice.

Apart from the second trait, what also merits consideration is the Golden Age and how and when to trigger it. A scientific civ with a late UU, a UU that comes with an optional technology, or a UU that has a weak attack or is otherwise unwieldy probably needs to rely on wonders to trigger the GA. Germany's Panzer is late, Russia's and Ottoman's UUs need Military Tradition, Greece's Hoplites have a weak attack, and Korea's H'wacha ... All not so optimal. Persia's Immortals on the other hand are relatively cheap, have a strong attack and are easily and early available. They are your best friends when it comes to GAs.

Top Bottom