Pinocchio and Co converted to Islam

Leha

ooseepoosee
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/08/31/wpino31.xml

Pinocchio and friends converted to Islam
Malcolm Moore in Antalya

(Filed: 31/08/2006)

Pinocchio, Tom Sawyer and other characters have been converted to Islam in new versions of 100 classic stories on the Turkish school curriculum.

"Give me some bread, for Allah's sake," Pinocchio says to Geppetto, his maker, in a book stamped with the crest of the ministry of education.

"Thanks be to Allah," the puppet says later.

In The Three Musketeers, D'Artagnan is told that he cannot visit Aramis. The reason would surprise the author, Alexandre Dumas.

An old woman explains: "He is surrounded by men of religion. He converted to Islam after his illness."

Tom Sawyer may always have shirked his homework, but he is more conscientious in learning his Islamic prayers. He is given a "special treat" for learning the Arabic words.

But they forgot Obi Van.

Darth: "Obi Van is not match to me anymore"

Droid General: "Why?"

Darth: "Because Force isn't on his side anymore. Good ole Obi is now worshipper of Alla. BWAHAHAHAHAHA!"

((Now taking bets on when they announce they've turned the Big Bad Wolf into the Big Bad Jew.))

Why does Turkey even have these books in their school curriculums? Don't they have any literature of their own? :lol:

Bright day
The Pinochio is understandable.

The rest is foolish and disrespectfull as they are works clearly set in their places.

If this is true its not good. In USSR we did "copy" a lot of characters and twisted around with the plot. Trust me things like "country of OZ" came out better under names of new authors (garric should know). But to twist classics like Mark Twain.... I do hope they gave them a new name. Then I could I understant. If not then I just don't.

rmsharpe said:
((Now taking bets on when they announce they've turned the Big Bad Wolf into the Big Bad Jew.))

Why does Turkey even have these books in their school curriculums? Don't they have any literature of their own? :lol:
Even the evil commies had world literature in their schools. I'm sure evil Muslims have that too.

Gelion said:
If this is true its not good. In USSR we did "copy" a lot of characters and twisted around with the plot. Trust me things like "country of OZ" came out better under names of new authors (garric should know). But to twist classics like Mark Twain.... I do hope they gave them a new name. Then I could I understant. If not then I just don't.

Gelion, I understand you too ;)

"Wisard of OZ" was so popular that it was copied (faked) by english-speaking writers too.

Edit: BTW, I read Baum's original, and Volkov's version. I liked Baum's more.

Leha said:
Gelion, I understand you too ;)

"Wisard of OZ" was so popular that it was copied (faked) by english-speaking writers too.
Man we do how to get along when not talking about politics right? ;)

Do you think English versions are avaliable? I want so many of my friends to read them....

Gelion said:
Man we do how to get along when not talking about politics right? ;)

Do you think English versions are avaliable? I want so many of my friends to read them....

I've read english version while living in Sovdep. Book was awsome. Of course you can find it.

...or were you talking about Volkov's version? Then I don't know.

rmsharpe said:

Maybe they think that stories from other cultures and literary traditions would enrich their students. What a silly concept! Imagine, Turks stealing good American stories like Pinocchio. :lol:

Taliesin said:
Maybe they think that stories from other cultures and literary traditions would enrich their students. What a silly concept! Imagine, Turks stealing good American stories like Pinocchio. :lol:

Tom Sawyer is definitely american guy. Converting Tom Sawyer to islam is vandalizing of the great book of Mark Twain. It has nothing to do with "literary enrichment". Mark Twain books don't need any changes to "literary enrich". (in my humble opinion, of course)

What's the big deal?I don't see anthing wrong with this, they sholud be allowed to do that if they want to.

pathetic.

10 character limit is nice but rather pesky.

I suppose it's alright, but...Reminds me how The Protocols of the Elders of Zion are taken seriously in some areas of the Middle East :rolleyes: Fine, so long as they stick to non-fiction (imagine a textbook denying the discoveries of brilliant Jews like Einstein).

Look, I really don't care who gets nukes or has a day in DisneyLand, but the destruction of Tom Sawyer?

Now, I want war.

This is ridiculous, and disappointing that it is happening in Turkey of all places.

Top Bottom