Pinocchio and Co converted to Islam

Simpsons have also converted to Islam, so why not Pinocchio? :lol:

Seriously, if they can't even suffer that people of some other religion produced good pieces of art, why do they bother seeing it?

This only shows the islamic bigotry in all its beauty...

Winner said:
Simpsons have also converted to Islam, so why not Pinocchio? :lol:

Seriously, if they can't even suffer that people of some other religion produced good pieces of art, why do they bother seeing it?

This only shows the islamic bigotry in all its beauty...
:lol: physician heal thyself.

Bigotry is never beautiful to behold you of all people should look in a mirror.

Turkey and Israel have strong political and economic ties and are still alies in the Middle East, so anyone wanting to establish some hint of anti sematism is sorely mistken, although in recent years Turkey has become much more ctitical of it's ally and trade partner. Where once they talked all night and had moonlit strolls along the shore, sharing stories of terrorism fear and woe, now they seldom even call each other :)

And yes converting Pinocchio to Islam is stupid, did you know that Agamemnon was a muslim? ;)

Leha said:
Tom Sawyer is definitely american guy. Converting Tom Sawyer to islam is vandalizing of the great book of Mark Twain. It has nothing to do with "literary enrichment". Mark Twain books don't need any changes to "literary enrich". (in my humble opinion, of course)
I'm afraid you've missed my point.

Time to break out the international lawyers and sue for copyright violation and anything else we can think of .... or we could riot and protest and call for heads roll.

I think a new version of Huck Finn in an Arab, Islamic setting would be very interesting. Picture it: Hassan and Yeshua the runaway slave having their adventures on the Euphrates instead of the Mississippi. Just as the original was a snapshot of American life in a moment in time, this would be the same, but of Arab life, along the banks of an ancient river, set in the same time period as the original. Get my agent Morty on the phone! Screw the book, we'll make it a movie!

The Last Conformist said:
You won't tolerate? :lol: What, pray tell, are you gonna do?
At least we won't burn down embassies, kill people, and send death threats :rolleyes:

SS-18 ICBM said:
At least we won't burn down embassies, kill people, and send death threats :rolleyes:
I don't recall those things happening in Turkey, particularly.

Also, I'm curious about your signature: to what do nuclear weapons rank second as incarnations of man's capacity for destruction?

Taliesin said:
I'm afraid you've missed my point.

Well, correct me if I'm mistaking.

I think that calling Pinocchio an American story (and I'm sure you know it is not American. Please tell me you know that!) you sarcastically hinted that it is again "America vs East" cultural fight. And that Turkey has right to use classics in its education system. (which of course it has, without stupid converting of main characters to islam).

I could be wrong of course.

By the way, Turks are still OK, thanks G-d:
http://www.turkishdailynews.com.tr/article.php?enewsid=52523

Minister lashes out at publishers for scandalous books
Monday, August 28, 2006

‘If you like Heidi, don’t try Muslimize her; write your own Heidi book,’ says Çelik, announcing that the Education ministry will sue publishing houses

I think that calling Pinocchio an American story (and I'm sure you know it is not American. Please tell me you know that!) you sarcastically hinted that it is again "America vs East" cultural fight. And that Turkey has right to use classics in its education system. (which of course it has, without stupid converting of main characters to islam).
I wasn't really speaking to the main issue of the thread (I do think it's a bit silly to change literature around like this), but rather to rmsharpe's woolly-headed contempt for Turkey. Why does Turkey have these books on its curriculum? Same reason American schoolchildren read Pinocchio. Nothing more than that.

I'd just like to say that I'm officially changing Ali Baba to Ali Anderson, Alladin will now be Alladin Silverstein, and Sinbad is now Sinbad Johnson.

Taliesin said:
Also, I'm curious about your signature: to what do nuclear weapons rank second as incarnations of man's capacity for destruction?
Well we haven't invented anti-matter weaponry yet have we? Or some other futuristic weapon of mass destruction.:rolleyes:<--(why do I always find myself using this smilie?)

I think what's most curious is the last half of the article, omitted in the original post...
Article said:
The clumsy insertions by Islamic publishing houses have caused controversy in Turkey, which has been a strongly secular state since the 1920s.

Other books contain insults, slang and rude rhymes which mock the president and the prime minister.

Recep Tayyip Erdogan, who is Turkey's first Islamic premier, has called for swift action to be taken against the publishers.

The education ministry has threatened to take legal action against any publisher which continues to issue such books.

Without this bit, it would almost look like these asinine changes are official Turkish policy or something... Surely no one would want to paint Muslims in an unfavorable light unjustly...

I wonder how long before some Muslim kid grows up and emigrates from his country to a western nation, comes across the original books and says "HOW DARE THE INFIDELS TAKE OUR STORIES AND EDIT THE GREAT ALLAH OUT OF THEM!!!"

Mark my words. It will happen!

John HSOG said:
I wonder how long before some Muslim kid grows up and emigrates from his country to a western nation, comes across the original books and says "HOW DARE THE INFIDELS TAKE OUR STORIES AND EDIT THE GREAT ALLAH OUT OF THEM!!!"

Mark my words. It will happen!
No it won't.;)

I have seldom read an Arabian story of 1001 nights tat has an Islamic connotation, i don't see why the Turks might not modify some of the stories to make it more palatable to their audience, although some of the story is really going to read very strangely.

Top Bottom