Pitboss

lol I think that tells us more about Take2 than it does about how firaxis are progressing. I suggest you send them the link to this article which also covers a quote from the lead designer of possibly their most important game at the moment. If they still have difficulty understanding it ask them to explain what the saved game folder "pitboss" is doing under the Civ IV directories :)

I trust Soren at the moment he comes across as very passionate about gaming and Civ in particular.

Tals

p.s I would suggest those that are keen for this feature do post in here to make sure the devs are clear this is a key feature for the game. Certainly for me I believe this if done correctly will bring Civ into MP gaming in a huge way.

Everyone just be happy your not waiting for Duke Nukem Forever :D

NYURDRMS said:
Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for contacting Take 2 Technical Support.

No one here at take 2 technical support has heard of this. Please can you provide any more information ie where you heard of the feature and exactaly what it is. maybe its somthing promised by the developers that we havn't been told about.

Please be sure to delete all previous correspondence when replying. This will help us to process your response in a more timely and efficient manner.

Kind Regards,
Take 2 Technical Support

- Missing 3 Capitals ('Take 2 Technical Support', not 'take 2 technical support')
- 3 Typos.
- 'Please can you' should be 'Can you please'.

And I remember the days when you needed half a brain to own a computer, let alone provide technical support for them!

The last paragraph is good, but thats only because it's a generic script. Well, at least the guy knows how to copy and paste!:mischief:

NYURDRMS said:
I just got this email from Take2 about the Pitboss. I basically sent them an email asking if they knew when the pitboss feature would be coming out. This is the response that I got from Take2.

Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for contacting Take 2 Technical Support.

No one here at take 2 technical support has heard of this. Please can you provide any more information ie where you heard of the feature and exactaly what it is. maybe its somthing promised by the developers that we havn't been told about.

Please be sure to delete all previous correspondence when replying. This will help us to process your response in a more timely and efficient manner.

Kind Regards,
Take 2 Technical Support

Haha holly crap. What game you talking about again? Civ what? Who are you? Tell them it was listed with the taco making feature. Wow what a clueless tech support person.

LOL

OMGZ!

From the front page

Civ4 PitBoss (Beta) Available
posted by Thunderfall at 01-05-2006 21:23 | comments: 0
The beta version of the persistent turn-based server program for Civilization IV, also known as PitBoss, is now available for download. Here is a description of PitBoss from the Info Center:

The PitBoss persistent turn-based server will allow for players to play as long as they like and leave when they like without disrupting the game. Players can also fill in for AI players and join when they like (so it is possible to jump in right in the middle of a game and take an AI's role). The server will download the current game state, then a player takes their turn and the server afterwards saves for the next player. It is like playing a streamlined version of play by e-mail or hot seat multiplayer.

To run a PitBoss server, download the file (3.5 MB, zipped), extract the PitBoss.exe to your main Civ4 directory, and run it. You will be asked to supply a SMTP email loging, select type of the game (DirectIP, LAN, or Internet), choose the game options, etc.

Here are a few screenshots showing the setup process: Screen#1 Screen#2 Screen#3 Screen#4 Screen#5.

Give it a try and post your experience in this thread in the Civ4 Multiplayer forum.

Tals

Top Bottom