Planning rush but get no copper, what do I do?

ReusableGore

Chieftain
Like the title says, I lose early when I don't discover a source of accessible copper after researching Bronze Working. If I wait to find Iron the AI has time to dig in. I hate being so dependent on copper, I don't like starting a game over because I don't get it.

Use horses or just rex... Both works completly fine on all levels...

Beeline Construction. With enough cats, even archers can take a city.

If you can find some good cottageable land, then found a few commerce cities and build cottages.

Tech to Iron Working to see if you have Iron. If you do, then build slowly toward a classical war while keeping a strong economy.

If you don't have Iron, then the same emphasis should be put on a strong economy, but your tech path should emphasis economy rather than military.

Otherwise, play Sitting Bull and you will be guaranteed a resourceless unit that replaces the Axeman!

If you want to rush but don't have copper then go for horses. Chariots work well assuming you hit early enough and bring enough of them along. The 2-move ability of chariots is a nice bonus despite taking a hit in strength.

Otherwise, expand to around 4 cities while teching IW and Construction and prepare for a classical war. The nice thing about classical warfare is that you can war much more efficiently and not do so much damage to your economy. I had a recent game with Mehmed where I sword-rushed Zara who was on my doorstep and then wiped out Boudica with swords/axes/cats and then started mopping the floor with Toku with veteran swords (one already had CR3/combat1) and axes/cats. All the while I was able to keep around 40-50% science. Fun times.

If you have no copper, keep expanding and get iron working fairly soon. You'll want iron anyway for all of the medieval units.

Remember that another way to "rush" your opponent is to build cities near him aggressively, to block off territory and deny him resources.

Like the title says, I lose early when I don't discover a source of accessible copper after researching Bronze Working. If I wait to find Iron the AI has time to dig in. I hate being so dependent on copper, I don't like starting a game over because I don't get it.

Is it not possible just to expand peacefully?

I've archer rushed another civ's capital to get copper before. It's doable. Set me behind a little, but it gave me the whole continent for my very own, which made up for it.

Simple, don't "rush". Instead take time to build an empire peacefully, using archers for defense and good diplomacy. If you can't win without a rush, then go back down a difficulty level.

Rush with Longbowmen.

YOU CAN DO IT

Rush with Longbowmen.

YOU CAN DO IT

lol, longbow rushes are horrific on the men.
i've had to fight a long war against rome with prets before (on multiplayer), and even the longbows had a tough time against them, i was averaging losses of 1.5 units per 1 loss of his..(i wish i had crossbows available)
its gotta be pure classical warfare....expand as much as you can, get the land you need for superior production, and when the time is right...bring out the longbow/catapults combo.

no bronze, no rush; that being said, try by default to research ah 1st; quite early chariot rushes are doable. Did it up to immortal included; obviously, not on protective, not on mansa(tried on mansa, obviously didn't exactly work :p)

That if you have an obsession for rushing...

Build your settler earlier to claim the bronze, otherwise research iron working and construction.

Construction is nice if you have Ivory. Elephants are pretty cool units.

Better yet, amphibious elephants.

If you try for a axeman rush, but find no copper, you will be too far behind in tech and infra to try a Horse-Archer rush... so you might as well try to REX, and live with your neighbours.

You will have to win the regular way... IE. with big, well balanced armies.

The good news is that you are practically guaranteed iron near your empire, and if you can REX enough, you should be able to grab some in your borders.

Sorry... but a Horse Archer rush would PROBABLY be too risky, unless you can grab the Oracle REALLY REALLY QUICKLY!!

If you try for a axeman rush, but find no copper, you will be too far behind in tech and infra to try a Horse-Archer rush... so you might as well try to REX, and live with your neighbours.

The good news is that you are practically guaranteed iron near your empire, and if you can REX enough, you should be able to grab some in your borders.

Sorry... but a Horse Archer rush would PROBABLY be too risky, unless you can grab the Oracle REALLY REALLY QUICKLY!!

Exactly what part of teching BW early and scouting your surroundings puts you behind in tech and infrastructure :rolleyes:? It's not like people don't go BW really early regardless for its chopping and whipping power. If you had a tech that allowed for a worker improvement or work boat it doesn't slow you down at ALL.

The previous comment was told to me in one of my games (I think EVP I), on the first attempt, when I asked if I should attempt a horse-archer rush... And 2 other people agreed... so I took thier advice. (I lost the game, but that was because I didn't attack at all, nor did I expand agressively enough, and finally, I was MILES behind in military power over the time)

It would probably be HARDER than a axe rush, as you would be starting later, and civs would have easy counters (spearmen)... put it that way

A horse archer rush? First of all, if you have horses right there, you've got a good shot at a chariot rush, but if you're too slow and your enemy already has multiple spears, why would you research horseback riding when you could research iron working, start building a crapload of swordsmen, then research catapults? Swords and catapults with a few axes and spears would work far better than horse archers.

Who needs metals?? Attacko will tell you that amphibious warriors are THE way to go.
In fact, if you have copper, don't hook it up because then you'll be forced to make axes; and that would be a disaster!

In short:
Amphibious Warriors >>>>>>> Axes. :hammer:

Seriously, now, you have to ask if the rush is the right decision anyway.. If you have enough room for 4-6 peaceful cities the attack can wait for construction and cats.

Top Bottom