Player Not Winning Ties?

Plains-Cow

Best Resource; Always Wins
Hello, all. Long-time lurker, first-time poster. Hope you like the name; hopefully will be able to load an ava sometime lol

I watched some YouTube videos of skilled players of CIV IV who say that if there's one turn left in a city for a wonder to be constructed, that the player will get it because of turn order in the event of a "tie" when the AI is building the same wonder. I play on Emperor and win regularly, but there have been so many times where I've been (1) turn away from building a wonder and the AI will get it first, depriving me of everything glorious but failgold. I've had wonders go when they were only a few hammers from being completed with plenty of overflow to finish it in one turn.

Where did this idea come from that the player wins wonder tiebreakers in single player, or is there a mechanic that I'm not understanding?

If you're (1) turn away, it means the AI finished the wonder the turn before. Notifications of AI production are reported on the current turn of human activity.

The idea behind players win ties is that the player always takes their turn before the AIs do, meaning that if the player finishes a wonder an AI cannot complete it first. When the game tells you that a distant civ has finished a wonder it's reporting the events of last turn, so the AI completed the wonder a turn before you did.

Sounds like a misunderstanding, and hiya :)

(1) turn left is safe if no AI completed the wonder between turns, as they move after you and what they accomplished shows on your next turn.
It's true that you win ties if your wonder is still available with (1) left showing

If an AI was faster your city screen will still show the wonder for one more turn, but it's not really there anymore.
x-posts

Ah, I might have just been missing it in the notification area where it says that an AI finished it. I'm usually looking at other things, but I try to keep an eye out to see if the wonders are gone. I guess the times that I thought my wonder was "safe," I missed the update. Wish there was a way to know by looking at the city screen alone in case it was missed. Any favorite way to easily check if I missed it while looking away from the notification area?

Welcome to the forum and great name! Wholely agree with above advice.

I have tested this a bit lately and you always get the wonder if AI have not built it.

You can also work out maths if an AI is near completing a wonder on the demographics screen but I forget the formula. Of course you might not know what the hammers are invested in. Later on EP will also reveal this if you have enough espionage invested.

I don't mind nearby AI building wonders if you can take them out. Industrial AI can be nice neighbours at times. Especially if you can get some fail gold too.

Welcome to the forum and great name! Wholely agree with above advice.

I have tested this a bit lately and you always get the wonder if AI have not built it.

You can also work out maths if an AI is near completing a wonder on the demographics screen but I forget the formula. Of course you might not know what the hammers are invested in. Later on EP will also reveal this if you have enough espionage invested.

I don't mind nearby AI building wonders if you can take them out. Industrial AI can be nice neighbours at times. Especially if you can get some fail gold too.
At this point I blame the confusion on the user interface where it would say the wonder is gone, but it's still in my build menu. Sometimes I'd miss it entirely in the notifications area when certain things are happening. I guess it's something that I'd miss while looking at other things or distracted with something else. It happens sometimes, but I don't like to have to constantly click and scroll through the notifications log if there's one turn left anyway.

Thank you for the compliment!

Do you use the BUG mod, Sir Cow?

Do you use the BUG mod, Sir Cow?
I do not. I tried it several years ago, but I went back to vanilla UI. I might give it another go, but if I recall, it slows down the game a lot on larger maps with a lot of stuff happening. I have a powerful Linux PC, so this might handle it better. Thoughts?

Ram is main thing to speed up this game. Modern processors with 8-16gb ram play game great.

Ram is main thing to speed up this game. Modern processors with 8-16gb ram play game great.
I certainly have that. I play a lot of the 1000AD scenario for whatever reason, but still find the game slow down in the Modern Era to about 8-10 seconds a turn. I might make a thread about that scenario, but I don't know how many people play it these days.

Top Bottom