Players agenda

Ll1442

Chieftain
So I was thinking, with the new agenda system to read and understand the AI movements, we might make a system to have players gain some impact on the AI too.

I know we're meant to adapt to the AI, but as a leader, we should be able to impact the world as well.

I think this could be done by some kind of "declared agenda" or focus for each civ, for the hole or a part of the game, such as Wonder, Science or cultural focus, or maybe a world peace focus. This could be combined with the Casus Belli system, so that ex if you go cultural, anyone who gains/have more culture than you, you get CB on. The effect would be so that anyone trying to befriend you would tune down their cultural focus, and in culture wars, you might gain extra culture for pillaging the enemy culture district etc.

I think it would take quite a bit of work, to not make it an "exploit the AI" feature, but I think it could work, particularly in MP, where you would be able to tell other Civs what you where doing, and how they might avoid conflict with you.

Okay, I'm doing a culture focus.

*starts focusing on science*

And now everyone's mistaken about my goals and I freely build my spaceship.

But that'd only be good for the game if AI did it too.

Okay, I'm doing a culture focus.

*starts focusing on science*

And now everyone's mistaken about my goals and I freely build my spaceship.

If you choose an agenda, you should get a reward for following it (so you have to add
"And I have to work harder because I don't have the +10% amenitie from focusing on culture")....like picking the Mongols and playing a peace game.

If you choose an agenda, you should get a reward for following it (so you have to add
"And I have to work harder because I don't have the +10% amenitie from focusing on culture")....like picking the Mongols and playing a peace game.

But you can't give players locked agendas, because that would force you too much into a certain playstyle with one civilization. To use a Civilization 5 example, one time playing Babylon I might go for a science victory (which probably is the agenda) by rushing Writing and building an academy to get a large tech advantage that I can use to gain even more tech, while the next time, I want to use said tech advantage not to build more universities and public schools and everything before it's even available to other civilizations, but instead raise superior armies to win a domination victory.

EDIT: Also, do the AI also get those bonuses then? And how big should they be, when are they balanced, etc?

Sure Leyrann it would be extremely difficult to balance, and would probably work better in MP, where you cant fool eachother like that.

Top Bottom