Playground Mod

Yeah, there's a bunch of stuff that's supposed to upgrade (but the upgrade flag is forgotten).

The only units that are supposed to upgrade but intentionally doesn't is the cootie carrier and the cootie bomb. (And small changes were made to them so that you get to build both the carrier and the bomb until sword-fighting, instead of the carrier upgrading to the bomb)

Ok, testing going fairly smoothly; more testers are welcome.

We're setting a deadline to make ourselves more productive: Before Civ V comes out. :p

Ok! Give me an hour or so to get this thing uploaded. (I have slow internet connection at home)

Ok! I guess I should give a progress report:

Unless if anything major comes up, the only things left to do/thoroughly test:

Unit interactions from 5th grade onward
Some super units, and super unit derivatives: Uber Battleship, Jet Fighter, Mage Castle, Mobile Fortress, Grand Horde, Ghost, Space Cruiser
Figure out a way to make LEGO less overpowerd. They win like 75% of the games they don't have a fail start.
Re-work the civpedia for a clear, concise list of unit and building abilities.
- For each tech that hordes of stuff goes obsolete in (ex: Stricter Rules, Conquest!, 6th Grade), list what exactly goes obsolete.

Thanks for the download! I'll be back with some opinions and suggestions after I've had a chance to play a little bit.

Just from looking at the editor, I notice quite a lot of units that don't have resource requirements. Particularly bad is The Chase where almost no units at all have resource requirements, except for the ones requiring Inspiration. That's something you might want to deal with as well.

Thanks for the download! I'll be back with some opinions and suggestions after I've had a chance to play a little bit.

Just from looking at the editor, I notice quite a lot of units that don't have resource requirements. Particularly bad is The Chase where almost no units at all have resource requirements, except for the ones requiring Inspiration. That's something you might want to deal with as well.

Hmm, I haven't seriously considered resource requirements as being a "major" factor. Iron and Magical stuff are the primary required resources to make powerful units, and Inspiration is as well.

Money and Mercenaries are also quite important, as well as some random things like sugar, fresh fruit, etc.

I'll look into that; maybe change Horses to a Strategic resource for Horse, and possibly add others.

Well, just something to think about. At the least, The Chase's mounted units should require horses, and its AAV should require Parts like all the other AAVs.

As far as Lego being overpowered, I just started my game as them. I think the fact that they start with the Blissful Anarchy government instead of Despotism (and therefore no tile penalty) is part of what makes them overpowered. Then again, that should mean the Girls are also overpowered, but I don't know about that yet.

At any rate, playing as the Lego right now I am seriously outpacing everyone else in technology, and expanding quite rapidly. Once the expansion phase is over and I get all my infrastructure set up, I should be in a good position to conquer the playground.

... It's AAV doesn't? (It's supposed to)

Yes, the Girls tech up quickly, but they have weak combat units in general, so they don't tend to dominate as much. And we tried playing around with giving them no POW camps. (lower their production capabilities) But LEGO aren't limited so much with weak combat units, which is why they tend to be able to win more often than the girls.

We tried to slow LEGO's expansion a bit by giving them more expensive settlers (45 instead of 30). That might slow things down a bit for them.

But anyhow, we need to re-work the later units; I made a spreadsheet of all the stuff, and it's not looking very balanced at all. And maybe look closer at the Girl units and either up costs or make them a point or two weaker. The last batch of editing was aimed at the Group Wars civs.

Yeah, I just double-checked. The All-Terrain AAV requires no resources. As far as I can tell, the Ghost is the only Chase unit requiring any resources at all.

I think making Lego settlers more expensive in terms of population rather than shields would balance things better. Make them require consume three population instead of two. The Rise and Rule mod does something similar where Agricultural civs get settlers that require more population to balance out the extra food they get.

Requiring three food is a bit drastic; we just want to slow their expansion, not cripple it. So far it seems to have worked; I've only done one game with Lego in it since the settler changes, but they were no longer nearly as overpowering as before.

Yeah, the one game I was half playing half observing (I built an empire and then plopped walls down on the borders and sat around watching), FA and Lego were about the same size, and both fighting the staff on and off. Staff were holding their ground, and gaining a bit actually.

Anyhow, I'm going to take a look at the middle school units soon, and re-work them. At the moment, I don't think Chase has *any* ability to launch amphibious attacks for example.

So... I was thinking. Maybe we should change the not already changed super units into "normal" units that require inspiration in a period where the civilization in question is not particularly strong in.

ie:
Move Grand Horde to like mid 5th grade, and give it stats to match the units there.
Uber battleship to mid-middle school, make it slightly better than the regular battleship in terms of bombard, make it fast, no blitz or lethal bombard, and give it detect invisible (to hunt the subs).
The others at the moment are fine where they are; they should just be cleaned up a bit so they aren't dominating units.

Update:

All units (AAVs, HS units, super units, normal units) have been balanced. Now testing to see how well balanced they are.
Blank nothingness will now require 6th grade before being traversed.
Added more unique city names (no more GWC outpost #23! And now you can give your life for Aiur as the GWC, defend the GAP as the Girls, and fortify Harpers Ferry as the Rebs! ;) )

To do:
Government resistance modifiers
A few more city lists
Some civpedia cleaning
*Optional: cleaning up mod directories and unit files; the mod was started when we had little/no idea how to mod, so there is a bunch of redundant files that can be cleaned out

And then we're done.

Can I get a playtest version, pretty please?

That idea of giving certain factions (i.e. agricultural) a 50% cost increase for their settlers seems like it would be a great idea in other Civ III mods (at least ones where settlers are even buildable from the get-go, that is ;))

Alright, give me a while to throw everything together and upload it.

BTW, do you have Civ III Complete, or Civ III Conquests?

I have both, but Civ 3 Conquests (fully patched) on the computer I usually play the game on....

Sweet. Omega and I both have Complete, and apparently there's a very slight difference in file structure for the two. So we need someone to test it on Conquests anyhow to see if any units crash and burn because of the slight difference.

Right... Just finished downloading, so I'm getting the ol' flyswatter handy for any bugs I might find. ;)

Ok, have messed around with the playtest version and have a few observations/notes:

#1: IMO, there are too many resources, particularly unique resources that only one faction can even see... I'm not entirely sure how best to go about addressing this problem, but one step in the right direction would be to merge Coffee with Soda to create a "Caffeine" resource.... Another might be to make some of the strategical ones visible to all (like Chase's "Epic Trees")....

Granted, the tons of resources isn't such a big problem on large maps or pre-set scenarios, but small random maps it is rather problematic (One example: I started, as the LEGO Republic, next to the only sources of Nintendo on the entire map, and Freak attack started next to the only sources of Flowers)...

That was one of the reasons I completely got rid of two Strategic resources in the Final Fantasy mod and changed one to a bonus resource... Those three resources were only good for 8 units and 3 improvements, thus, eliminating them or downgrading the status from Strategic to Bonus freed up the random number generator to place more critical strategic resources such as Iron.

#2: Why, I repeat, WHY do LIBRARY BOOKS generate POLLUTION?!

#3: In a related vein, would it be possible to change the Mass Transit and Recycling bin so that in addition to reducing pop and building pollution, they also produce -1 pollution.... A VERY useful trick that I learned from the Medieval European Mod and Fallout Mod... As a matter of fact, if everyone had negative pollution buildings and the negative was greater than the total pollution being produced, it will actually reverse the effects of global warming (making it actually worth while to build such buildings, or at the very least, have a city with over 12 pop since you'll actually be able to produce stuff without pollution popping up ever 3 turns)...

If that was the case, then the Lego Republic would be able to build hospitals without polluting, provided the city had Mass Transit in it (Mass Transit reduces pop pollution to 1 and with the -1 Pollution flag, it will completely eliminate it)....

#4: I've found Palette Issues on at least one tech icon, but I'm going to go through ALL the PCX files, one folder at a time, and fix any errors I find as I go... I'll then create a zip file with the proper folder tree and corrected PCX files, which I'll try to upload here ASAP, which should save you guys some work. ;)

Now to the specific points/questions I have with "my" faction:

#1: The Lego Halberdier should be called the "Lego Castle Guard", which is the technically correct term for pole arm equipped LEGO Castle minifigs, and as a bonus, also fits in with the general trend of units available with the 4th Grade tech.

#2: Bebro's "Generic Knight Late 15th Century" with the Lion on the shield and Barding would be a better representative of the Lego Knight... I had some Lego Castle Knights that looked almost exactly like that (and I can even link pictures of/scan the instructions for one of the sets I had that had that exact style of Knight).

#3: I've been having major problems with happiness and was thinking that maybe the Gossip Tent could be moved back to Female Nature, since I won't have the tech to allow, or the units to sacrifice, but the happiness would be a major help.... I do believe that I did mention that during school, I did tap into the girl's information network (and even was a source for said network)... Saved my skinny rear-end a couple times (thanks to timely warnings that the local bullies were waiting in ambush along my usual route, so I was able to go a different way and avoid getting beat up).

#4: I've thought up a better flag LH for my faction: The Lego Imperial Guards Flag from the pirate sets (since my brother and I DID use that as the National Flag... The Jolly Roger was merely the Navy Jack ;))... I'll try to get it finished and upload it along with the pallette-corrected PCX files that I've fixed sometime this weekend.

#5: About the Lego Cannon pedia entry: I'd like to ammend the description to read as follows:

The Lego Wars, at the beginning, were haotic affairs, with ad-hoc rules, bickering and fighting over the results taking far longer than the actual battles. That all changed with the Introduction of the Legoland Pirate theme and it's spring-loaded cannons in 1989. The introduction of these Lego Pirate Cannons revolutionized the way that the battles were fought: Both sides lined up their troops (a la Napoleon) and were given at least one Lego cannon each and equal amounts of 1x1 round bricks that the Cannons fired. After a coin-toss, each side would take turns using their [Lego Cannon(s)] and Brick Ammo inventory to attempt to knock down as many of the opposing side's Minifigs as possible.
^
^Combat would run in alternating turns until one side was completely wiped out. Granted, this resulted in the Lego Wars having a casualty total close to that of Verdun, but it eliminated the rules-lawyering and fighting the went with the previous methods of resolving battles.

I just wanted to stress how the mere introduction of one lego element completely revolutionized our Lego wargaming. ;)

Also about how Blissful Anarchy worked for us (even though we were mostly guys).... Three Words: Rule By Committee :D :lol: (As Prachett pointed out In Making Money, Lord Havelock Vetinari realized early on that what an Iron Maiden was to the stupid tyrant, the committee was to the smart one: Committees were a lot less messy, only marginally more expensive (the only cost being biscuits and coffee) and people never volunteered to go into the Iron Maiden. :lol: )

That's all I have for now.....

Top Bottom