Playing CIV2 in the Office...

mpescatori

Chieftain
OK, I admit it, I'm drugged, I'm stuck...

I need to do rehab, detox, get CIV2 out of my system...

I like CIV2 so much I had once successfully installed a bootleg copy of CIV2 (i.e., original CD but without the SysAdmin's blessing) into my office workstation...
...that was in the days of Windows2000 Pro, and everything worked, provided I kept the sound OFF !!!

Now they've upgraded to XP PRO (Vista being highly frowned upon) so I tried to re-install it, and setup seems to work... until I launch the game and the whole thing stalls because a few .dll's
were not written in the expected windows/system32/... folder.

OK, so the big question is:
1) Which files am I supposed to unwrap from the CD into Windows/system32/...?
2) Can I unwrap them directly into the CIV2 folder? (this trick worked like a charm under WIN2000...)
3) How can I sneak my way into playing the game without having to buy the SysAdmin a holiday to the Bahamas ? :crazyeye:

I copied all of the files from C:/MPS/CIV2 (on my home pc, running xp, I believe) onto a 2 GB USB drive (so I have R:/MPS/CIV2 files). When I first tried to execute civ2.exe I got what was probably the same type of error. I ended up copying the following files from my home pc into the R:/MPS/CIV2 directory:
WING.DLL, WINGDE.DLL, WINGDIB.DRV, WINGPAL.WND.

I believe they were from a windows directory, but search from WING.DLL and copy them all from the same source directory. I am not sure if they are all needed, the error I got pointed at WING.DLL.

Top Bottom