"Pleased" Civ refuses to talk to me

DagHammarskjol

Warlord
For several turns in a row, a civ which was "pleased" towards me would not talk to me. If I tried to initiate some kind of diplomacy, they'd just give me the "go away" or "we don't want to listen to any more of your lies" message as though we were at war with each other. We weren't at war--in fact no one in the world was at war at that time AFAIK.

Any idea what triggers this? Were they getting ready to declare war or something?

-Kris

Most probable cause is that you broke a trade agreement with them at someone else's bequest.

Bh

Other than Tokugawa or a glitch, I believe this happened because you agreed to break all ties with them when requested by another civ. When that happens you stop all trading with a civ, close your borders to that civ, get a negative diplomacy modifier with that civ, and that civ will refuse to talk to you for awhile. So, just give it some time and I'm sure they'll be more than happy to welcome you back in.

Sarnath'd (but I come with more info).

Most probable cause is that you broke a trade agreement with them at someone else's bequest.

Bh

Oh yeah, I think you're right. I didn't put that two together with that two because I would have expected the "silent treatment" to be accompanied by a lowering of status down to something at least below "pleased."

But I do think I did what you describe, because it happened that I was getting ready to go to war with this civ anyway and was fishing around for allies in that civ's vicinity.

-Kris

Similar thing happened to me last game. Also, a few turns later I was getting a 10 unhappiness bonus in all my cities for "The world considers you a villian" even though all civs were at pleased or above.

I was just joking. Tokugawa is just a notable jerk in the game. He's so protection-oriented that he rarely opens borders before "pleased" relations. He always lags behind in my games because of his isolationist tendencies and refusal to trade with anyone. He's like the reverse Gandhi.

Also, a few turns later I was getting a 10 unhappiness bonus in all my cities for "The world considers you a villian" even though all civs were at pleased or above.

If you vote to defy a UN resolution, you get 5 unhappiness in all your cities (same with the AP, but only in cities with the AP religion). So apparently you defied 2 resolutions.

Bh

Top Bottom