Pollution

aimeeandbeatles

watermelon
SOme reason my pollution is going nuts...no matter how many workers I make to clean it up, it won't stop appearing

P.S. I don't have any of the improvements to "stop" it and I'm trying to go as fast as I can without running out of money

And keep an eye out for anything that causes pollution. So don't build factories in towns that don't need them.

Thanks, I'll try these ;)

I hate pollution, it's the AI's way of hosing your worker efficiency.

I made the mistake once of not selling my coal plants when I got the Hoover Dam - so just remember to do so, every continental city gets a free hydro plant and there's no need at that point for the higher polluting coal plants.

Here's one trick - I used to get pretty anal about getting the pollution cleaned up, so I'd stick enough workers on a polluted spot to clear it in one turn. That costs a lot of worker efficiency considering it takes 3 or 6 or more turns to clear the stuff depending on what tile it's on.

I don't know this for sure, but pollution is random - however I think it pops up again somewhere else once you've cleared a spot, so the faster you clear it - the faster it pops up somewhere else. And that gets cumbersome later in the game as you are building more polluting stuff.

If your city is not affected by one tile being unusable (ie: there's another available tile that the citizen using the now polluted spot can move to to minimize lost productivity and/or starvation), then let one worker take the maximum turns to clear it.

Because it will just pop up again somewhere else once it is cleared, so spending extra turns to clear it takes workers away from doing other productive things.

And - especially, if a tile is polluted that doesn't affect your cities current efficiency status (ie: no citizen is working the tile) - let it sit until that city grows in population and you need that tile.

I hate pollution.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

^ That's not necesarily true. It pops up depending how large your cities are and the improvements. For every pop there is an extra 1% pollution chance. So if you had a size 12 city. There would be a 12% chance of pollution striking in that cities radius. Also note that improvements like the factory also add to this.

I have to put my cities on producing workers non-stop lol

I don't know this for sure, but pollution is random - however I think it pops up again somewhere else once you've cleared a spot, so the faster you clear it - the faster it pops up somewhere else. And that gets cumbersome later in the game as you are building more polluting stuff.

Because it will just pop up again somewhere else once it is cleared, so spending extra turns to clear it takes workers away from doing other productive things.

This is untrue!

There is a chance, each turn, of pollution popping up within the city radius. how big this chance is, depends on how many pollution triangles the city generates.
Some improvements and pop above size 12 generate these pollution triangles.

It is possible a city will never have pollution even if it is generating 40 triangles.
And there is a chance a city will have pollution each turn, even if it is generating only 1 triangle.

Cleaning the pollution or not, has no effect on the chance of more pollution popping up somewhere else, but not cleaning the pollution will effect global warming.

Here's one trick - I used to get pretty anal about getting the pollution cleaned up, so I'd stick enough workers on a polluted spot to clear it in one turn. That costs a lot of worker efficiency considering it takes 3 or 6 or more turns to clear the stuff depending on what tile it's on.

If your city is not affected by one tile being unusable (ie: there's another available tile that the citizen using the now polluted spot can move to to minimize lost productivity and/or starvation), then let one worker take the maximum turns to clear it.

And - especially, if a tile is polluted that doesn't affect your cities current efficiency status (ie: no citizen is working the tile) - let it sit until that city grows in population and you need that tile.

As stated above the more polluted tiles there are, the bigger the chance of global warming. So it is in your interest to clean pollution as fast as possible, to keep the number of polluted tiles as close as possible to zero!

On higher difficult levels, this can be somewhat of a problem because the AI doesn't clean up pollution very quickly. So you'll have global warming thx to teh AI. The best cure for that is to conquer the AI.

Also, if you have placed your cities with any kind of efficiency in mind about tile-usage, the there should no longer be any tiles in your terrain that are not worked by any citizen.

The biggest polluters are pop above size 12. A size 13 metro will generate 1 pop-based pollution triangle. A size 21 metro will generate 9. Building a Mass Transit System, will reduce this to 1 triangle, no matter how many pop.

The triangles generated by city improvements are not effected by the Mass Transit System, instead they are effected Recycling Center, witch works the same way.
A metropolis with both transit and recycling will generate 2 pollution triangles. It can't get lower than that.
The only exception to these rule is the Iron works small wonder. The IW triangles are counted seperately from both pop, and improvement pollution.

Cities at size 12 or below will never generate pop-pollution. If you also never build any polluting improvements, you'll never have pollution at all.

As for the amount of workers you need... I usually enter the modern age with over 100 workers, on a standard size map. And that is just left over from the rail-roading effort.
I usually don't build additional workers anymore, except when I'm still conquering (assuming I fail to capture enough slaves) or when I'm relocating pop to crate instant max sized metro's.

However, I don't normally have a lot of metro's, if at all.

Code:
Polluting city improvement:

Improvements			:number of
				:triangles
Research Lab			:	1
Airport				:	1
Offshore Platform		:	2
Commercial Docks		:	1
				:
Small Wonders			:

Airfields (C3C) don't generate pollution. Thus the only function of Airports is to create vet air units. My advice would be to select one or a few cities that specialize in making air units. And only build an airport in those cities. This will also save you additional upkeep cots, if the cities can be specialized enough, these will also not need barracks, if they don't build land units.

When building a factory, or when building a hospital and letting the city grow beond size 12, consider if the increase in producting will actually be enough to shave a turn of the units per turn output of whatever unit you plant to specialize the city for. Example: A MA will cost 120 shields. a city producing 20 uncorrupted base shields per turn , thus 40 with both a factory and a plant, will produce one each 3 turns. If letting the city grow from size 12 to 20 will only add 8 more shields, its production will go up to 56. That is still 3 turns for a MA, so why bother to let the city grow?

Which is why I stated that I wasn't sure about the randomness of pollution.

But once it's cleared up, the percentage meter starts running - and the correlation of what I've seen - pollution popping up once it's cleared is pretty consistant still with the formula of how it actually works.

I'll still stick with my method, I like the idea of not using too much of my workers resources to clear pollution - especially if I have a good amount of improvements that they need to do elsewhere.

If I have sufficient available workers to clear pollution in one turn or so, I'll usually put them on pollution automate and let them have at it.

I don't get excited about global warming - it's almost a non factor, IMO.

Once every couple of turns, a tile somewhere turns from forest to grassland or something like that, and it's typically not in an area that I have improved.

Ah, thanks :D

What I'm wondering is why your workers have anything other than to clean pollution to do. Shouldn't everything else have been finished a long, long time ago?

What I'm wondering is why your workers have anything other than to clean pollution to do. Shouldn't everything else have been finished a long, long time ago?

I don't always build the recommended 2 workers per city - especially when I'm busting out cities from city-factories.

At some point, I go through a city explosion and my style is to initially build 1 worker on each new city start-up.

So, at some point - I have a mess of new cities that are growing and need tile improvements, plus I'm usually building stuff like military units and city improvements - it gets complicated as you're probably well aware.

Much later in the game when all of my cities are tile-improved, I will put a dozen or so workers on pollution-automate and focus a small group on "special projects" while joining the rest of them to smaller cities with capacity for population - but that doesn't happen until well after the pollution tsunami phase starts up.

May not be the optimal strategy, but that's how I do it.

I don't build 2 workers per city either, but my rails are all up on every tile and each tile is usually fully improved before I have any pollution. I stack my workers near my capital in different groups the right size to clear flat, hill and mountain tiles without having to combine any stacks, and I still have enough to rail behind my armies.

It's a nuisance to break into a major military campaign to do something so mind-numbingly dull, but it is fast. :p

Do most people follow the 2 per city guideline?

I don't usually bother to count, if it looks like I need more then I build more..

To be honest, thats what I do as well!

But I build workers the same way I build units in war time. I keep building them until I no longer have tiles to improve.
If a city is working un-improved tiles, I build a worker in that city. (except my very frist few starting cities, also, if i can build a worker in five and grow in ten, i'll build a warrior first)

I may rejoin some workers after the initial improving faze is over.

Make a high food producing city into a worker factory, it will grow as fast or faster than it produces workers, and you get lotsa workers. Once you go to war, you get access to slave workers, which on a larger map, you can build hundreds of them in captured cities. Slave workers only work at half speed, but require no support. I divide mine into groups of multiples of 12 (8 in an industrious tribe, after Replaceable Parts) to clean up pollution and do RR building and other tasks. On my maps, I usually have "parking lots" with slave stacks deep in my territory, as the AI adores capturing workers. Pollution is an onerous task, but part of the game, and the loss of production should not be tolerated long.

Does globing warming really turn desert into water tiles??? :confused:. I've heard people say this before, but it never actually happened to me.

Does globing warming really turn desert into water tiles??? :confused:. I've heard people say this before, but it never actually happened to me.

Try throwing around a couple of dozen nukes, then hit the "next turn" button. :D

So if theres a lot of pollution then the chances of desert turning into water is maximized?

Does it only happen to desert?

Top Bottom