Polynesia Trade Routes

What quantity of Civs do you include in the group "one of the best", Polynesia gets a Coastal Bias but doesn't guarantee that you'll have lots of coastal space or a coastal start for that matter and therefore you aren't guaranteed to get any number of Moai tiles.

Not only do the French have a better UI than Polynesia but their UA is doubles the theming bonus in the Capital. Clearly the French are superior from a cultural standpoint.

I don't really like Brazil either but their UI is also more readily available on balanced maps and their UA boosts culture dramatically.

Polynesia is better than Denmark on balanced maps but that's about it.

The quantity of civs i classify as one of the best is irrelevant, since throughout this thread i've been referring to it exclusively as one of the best culture civs ;) Whether that makes it one of the best civs depends on how balanced you think the victory conditions are.

Yes the french are better, i'm glad you agree. But you VASTLY underestimate the amount of coastal tiles that you are likely to get in a game. If you are the ploynesians, obviously you try to get coast if you're a good player, so you're gunna get more than the average amount too. Their UI is very solid and dependable, with a controlled bit of variance based on the map.

As i say, i think polynesia has the potential to be better than brazil with a half decent role and an aggressive strategy of expansion. It's all in your hands as a polynesia player, but the potential is right there in front of you. That's why i think they are better culturally than Brazil.

Even supposing they weren't better than Brazil, they are still clearly the 3rd best civ for culture victories by some margin. It's not even comparable to Denmark anymore in my book, it's been markedly improved since G&K. :goodjob:

I like Polynesia's music and for that reason alone I play them quite a bit. So I'll give them that, they have the best background music until they play over the Native American Music which really doesn't fit.

Back on point I disagree that they are the 3rd best Civ for cultural victories
-Babylon and any of the other Science civs are clearly better as you are going to get to Hotels, Airports, the National Convention Center much quicker than Polynesia.
-The Zulu and most of the Conquering Civs are going to have the tools to loot more artifacts and great works than the Polynesians

Don't get me wrong I like Polynesia but frankly that are about as weak a Civ as there is even when it comes to Cultural Victories.

EDIT: The one perk that I really notice when playing with them is that my workers/missonaries/etc can stay pretty safe at sea due to the UA.

I like Polynesia's music and for that reason alone I play them quite a bit. So I'll give them that, they have the best background music until they play over the Native American Music which really doesn't fit.

Back on point I disagree that they are the 3rd best Civ for cultural victories
-Babylon and any of the other Science civs are clearly better as you are going to get to Hotels, Airports, the National Convention Center much quicker than Polynesia.
-The Zulu and most of the Conquering Civs are going to have the tools to loot more artifacts and great works than the Polynesians

Don't get me wrong I like Polynesia but frankly that are about as weak a Civ as there is even when it comes to Cultural Victories.

I think we're gunna have to agree to disagree here :p You make some good points though! I'd love to properly measure them against each other.

Top Bottom