Polynesian Speraman

My limited understanding is that different methods of holding spears accomplish different things. If you've got a shield, you can hold the spear overarm so that it sticks out over the top of the shield and perhaps rests on it - this is a good defensive sort of posture while allowing you to attack as well. If you've got a great long spear and there's another line of people in front of you with shorter weapons, holding it overarm makes it easier to poke it over or between their heads so that you all fight together. However, if you have no shield or you are by yourself, an underarm thrust is more controllable and versatile. I think.

Looks nice. :D

Carthagian mercernary uses overhand spears, I can understanding doing over hand if you are throwing, stabbing something on the ground, or aiming above the shield to a headshot.

It's just easier with the underhand you would think though.

I have actually thrown a javelin and it was perfectly balances for throwing, however you couldn't jab with it in the throwing position, overhand. The enemy would have to come a lot closer to you with a spear overhand because you come down with the spear. When you use it under hand you get the full extent of the pole, hence the reason for all the different pole weapons. Also the Hoplite fought in the Phalanx formation, front line had spears next to them, not over the shoulder, and the hoplite next to them would protect them with their spear, they couldn't do that if it was overhand. But I guess everybody already knew that.

Hey I dloaded this and my conquests disk doesnt work so I did PTW and it wasnt there.

Nice with some Polenesians. It would have been awsomw if they could do the "Haka" (polynesian ritual, done e.g by the All Blacks) before attacking (very fast then)

Top Bottom