Possible development thread

phungus420

Deity
I was thinking about adding two new XML tags to CivicInfos. First would be bCanDefy, which if set to true would mean the civ would not suffer unhappyness from defying resolutions (UN or AP), second would be iDiploChange which would cause a change in diplo from all AIs. Basically I want to set up PoliceState in LoR to negate UN and AP unhappyness, while causing a -2 diplomatic penalty with all civs. However I'm not sure if other modmakers would be interested in these tags. There is no reason to add this to RevDCM if LoR would be the only mod to use them. Also in order to implement these tags the AI must have logic to understand them; so this is mainly aimed at Afforess, but would anyone be interested in coding the AI logic for these tags if they are added?

Also another question for Afforess. We'd like to port over your "Ruthless AI" game option into RevDCM 2.8. Any chance you'd be willing to merge in this code into the RevDCM 2.8 version on the SVN (found in the branches folder) for me, so I don't have to do the work :deal:

I was thinking about adding two new XML tags to CivicInfos. First would be bCanDefy, which if set to true would mean the civ would not suffer unhappyness from defying resolutions (UN or AP), second would be iDiploChange which would cause a change in diplo from all AIs. Basically I want to set up PoliceState in LoR to negate UN and AP unhappyness, while causing a -2 diplomatic penalty with all civs. However I'm not sure if other modmakers would be interested in these tags. There is no reason to add this to RevDCM if LoR would be the only mod to use them. Also in order to implement these tags the AI must have logic to understand them; so this is mainly aimed at Afforess, but would anyone be interested in coding the AI logic for these tags if they are added?

Also another question for Afforess. We'd like to port over your "Ruthless AI" game option into RevDCM 2.8. Any chance you'd be willing to merge in this code into the RevDCM 2.8 version on the SVN (found in the branches folder) for me, so I don't have to do the work :deal:

I already have a more customized diplomacy tag for civics, CivicAttitudeChange and CivicAttitudeReason, complete with AI code. You can set the civics that are affected, the attitude change, and the reason TXT_KEY all from XML. I would also be willing to merge Ruthless AI in.

Kissa has come up with suggestions for Revolutions:

Like Revolution + DCM has made a very good combo Mod,

Merge RevolutionDCM + Immigration + White Lies Black Ops could be really great and realistic Mod,

cause state instability, immigration, native guerilla and terrorism could make this Mod "Complete" like.

These causes are linked.

Add the capacity to "Send" Revolution to another Civ...
And the same from a Furious Civ against a Human player or AI to AI.
A part of Culture point (or spy point) could be turned to spring revolution to another Civ, like for spy.
Could be add to the spy ability, and choose the target Civ in the spy panel ?
With a certain amount of "revolution point" you could send revolution to another Civ and provocate a revolution with rebels etc.
Maybe help the rebels to win there revolution given them some help by the diplomatic panel...

Make immigration more realistic, not just +1 or -1 citizen, immigration could be a percentage of your population, and maybe problematic runing to 1/3 of your population, giving you troubles, like revolts, secession, terrorism, even revolution.

And maybe the ability to control your own Demography (this is a great part that missed in Civ 4 !!), eventually to volontarly send to another choosen Civ your pop and gain influence etc.
Refuse immigration for another Civ, or have another Civ refusing your immgration could have Diplomatic concequences.

Balance with new Civics : open Border like, Autarcy like, Multiculturalism, Xenophobia etc.

And few others interactions, that everyone could imagine to make this Combo "Complete".

I really think that RevolutionDCM + Immigration + White Lies Black Ops goes together and open new ability and oportunity to have fun in Civ 4.

Cheers

Any added component needs to be completely toggleable, or be something like an added new XML tag which is only utilized if a modder wants to implement it. At this point everything in RevDCM (except betterAI) can be easily turned off (or is off by default and needs to be toggled on by the user) so that the user can play base BtS using this mod if they so choose. This shouldn't change (actually I worked pretty hard to make things this way, and it makes it easier on any new modmaker that wants to use the RevDCM core for their mod).

I highly doubt this is the way that mod component works, most likely it is a crude Python hack that uses CvEventManager and would cause many new issues with multiplayer and toggleability; and as such would need to be completely rewritten code wise. I certainly have no desire to figure out how to work it in. If it's clean and neat, and can be easily turned off, and can be easily set to be off by default, by all means, but I highly doubt that's how it would work.

Yeah it's not so much the immigration idea because that is a big game change and would end up better off in the large scale mods. Just if there are enhancements to Revolutions concepts that fit well. For example as yet the role of espionage(terrorism/counter) in Revolutions has been fairly weak in my experience (possibly for very good reason). Big question is that I know that it seems like a good idea for the modern era, but would a player like to be hit by revolution espionage activity in a game experience? It would seem to add an interesting new strategy layer to the game alongside espionage already. It might help to provoke war in what would otherwise be a very stable geopolitical situation.
Cheers

That said, personally I've still yet to experience what Better BTS AI has done for the modern era in terms of the AI's abilities for victory paths. It takes a long time to experience that in detail. If it is clear that the AI is working towards the victory paths with some sense of purpose and ability, at that point it will become interesting to see where Revolutions should head in terms of new features. If it turns out that the AI is still muddling around without a sense of organised purpurse thus creating the typical stagnated late game, then there is very little point to add new features because these new features will only continue to deteriorate the AI in the late game.

Only my two cents.
Cheers

The component I'd really like to see merged in right now is Afforess's Advanced Unit Automations modcomp. Was hoping Afforess would eventually mrege it, since he wrote the code, and is on the RevDCM team, but last I've seen him post he said he was off modding other non Civilization games.

Oh well, keep quietly plugging away, chipping away at it. Everyone needs a break from Civ. I'm sure Afforess wouldn't mind if we extract the code ourselves with acknowledgements.
Cheers

Top Bottom