Possible Esus mechanic: drug smuggling/addiction

[to_xp]Gekko

QCT junkie
just throwing out an idea I had that should be fun and easy to implement if it tickles Ahwaric's and/or Opera's taste :p

so lets' get on with this:

1) new resource, called Weevil maybe? ( Evil Weed - get it? ) , revealed by poison
2) with Poisons, CoE state religion and access to Weevil you can build a new national wonder, that refines the Weevil and gives 1 refined Weevil ( name missing ATM :p ) . this means that if you want more of this refined resource, you'll have to build more of these "weevil labs" . reason will be explained in a moment
3) cities with a Weevil lab can create a "Weevil smuggler" unit, no combat abilities, 2 moves, hidden and can explore rival territory regardless of open borders. it can then spread "Weevil trade" in cities, which would work as a guild/religion.
4) cities with Weevil Trade in it have an x% chance that any unit built in the city start with the "Weevil Fiend" promotion. what does it do?
5) so, what does "Weevil Fiend" do? absolutely nothing. that is, IF you have access to "refined Weevil" resource. if you don't, then units with the promotion will have a x% chance each turn to gain crazed ( this could actually go as far as "immediately get enraged as soon as you don't have Refined Weevil", depending on game balance of course )
6) there you go. CoE just gained a nice way to blackmail opponents into meeting your demands, under the threat of losing access to a resource unique to Esus followers which they badly need in order to avoid having their units going berserk. alternatively when feeling mischievous of course, you can just decide to deny them access to the precious resource and then have fun watching their units go wild... such as when you go to war with them for example :D

here it is, like it or leave it. comments? :)

I think it would be interesting to have a small percentage chance to make the unit actually go HN and join the supplying player's Civ. For example, I'm Esus, I infect a player's city and they pop a Champion with Weevil Fiend, and I trade that player some Refined Weevil. I deny that player, that unit decides "Hey, THEY'VE got Weevil, I'll fight for them.", and as such joins your side.

I'd make Hero units immune to this, as well as units created through ritual (Priests of Winter, for example) or Autospawn units (Great People, Sheiam Planar Gate units, Angels and Manes, ect.). no fair having them be sucked right out from under your feet.

thanx for the first comment :D

good call on units created in unusual way, those should definitely be immune to this as well as heroes. not sure how useful that go-HN thingy could be, a unit suddenly becoming hostile in the middle of its previous territory would not survive long I fear :D

It is an interesting idea... I might gobble and add it into my mod-mod if it is okay with you? :lol:

Anyway, how can I add the icon for the new resource? I know it goes to fonts but I failed to add anything there. What program can I use? Thanks.

sure, you're entitled to any idea I might have. I'd love to see someone put this into the game! :D

no idea about the icons though, but someone knowledgeable will hopefully pop in to help :)

Reading this, I've gotten an idea which I'll just throw out there for whatever it might be worth: is there any way to make the Council of Esus into both a religion and a Corporation?

Reading this, I've gotten an idea which I'll just throw out there for whatever it might be worth: is there any way to make the Council of Esus into both a religion and a Corporation?
Hmm... the Council could be a religion, while the Nightwatch could be the corporation...

Someone was indulging in the goods when they had a bright idea?

The icon should be a picture of a doob. :p

Top Bottom