Possible Issue with 1 unit per tile - allies getting in your way.

There are numerous examples through history when friendly units (of the same army even) blocked each other and caused problems.

As for a fix for the problem, you COULD mod it (I imagine) to allow YOUR unit to convert into a civilian unit when you enter an ally's tile by manipulating and copying the code from sea travel. This would allow for fewer problems in terms of manuverability in a war where you have multiple allies. The problem for that strategically would be that if he is attacked and falls, then both units would be lost (since your perhaps superior unit would still be a civilian).
I don't know if it's really a problem but your solution actually sounds like a cool idea for a mod, especially for later era military units such as motorized infantry. You could 'embark' them turning them into a weaker non-combat unit with a better movement rate at the risk of them being utterly destroyed if caught like that. Even ancient units could do it, call it forced march.

Of course this does create the issue that you would suddently be able to stack (albeit inefficiently) two military units on a single tile. I would also make it possible to use military units to block AI civilian units. And then there is the issue of not actually solving anything if everybody is running around with these 'embarked' units in peacetime.

I still think it sounds like something that would be fun to try and mod in. :)

God, this brings back memories of playing CivNet with my buddy. My caravan crossed one of his city squares on its way somewhere. Since the primitive Civ 1 engine had no notion of a truely invisible "friendly" unit, all production in that square stopped, as if it had been occupied by a neutral/enemy player, throwing his city into disorder due to loss of trade arrows needed to pacify the populace...

The whole point of having 1upt is so there is much more combat strategy, unlike civ 4 where a stack of death could wipe out a civ. another point, if you think the minor civs is going to be a burden then turn them off. Think about wars. you do not say to another friendly unit to move because they have a better defensive tile. You get it first, otherwise its your own fault. So the combat is going do be one of the best things about civ 5. Choke points. Get there 1st or live with it.

I see some possible fixes to this being easily done in the XML. I also see an error in logic.

As the poster above me mentioned... you cannot use military units to block civilian units. You can use civilian units, but it would seem excessive to waste a settler or worker to slow down (not even stop due to the "embark" function) another players settlers at a natural choke point.

As for a fix for the problem, you COULD mod it (I imagine) to allow YOUR unit to convert into a civilian unit when you enter an ally's tile by manipulating and copying the code from sea travel. This would allow for fewer problems in terms of manuverability in a war where you have multiple allies. The problem for that strategically would be that if he is attacked and falls, then both units would be lost (since your perhaps superior unit would still be a civilian).

I like that idea. You can put two units into a tile but it's risky. If you also end the turn after a unit returns to war state, I don't think any direct advantage apart from being able to move into the tile would come of it.

Top Bottom