Post only if you can play huge maps with no problems

jcikal

The Voice of Reason
April is nearing by and I still have to make up my mind as to how much computer power I need in order to run Civ 4 successfully without having to worry about lagging or lockups in the big maps, as I have seen constantly here with complaints over their hardware not being able to keep up with the game on the huge maps. The number of civs doesn't seem to be the problem, just the size of the maps.

If you can play the big maps with no problem at all, I just need to know 3 things:

1) Physical Ram Memory in your computer

2) CPU speed

3) Video card used. Please state the manufacturer & model (EX: Nvidia GE Force 6800)

Thanks for any info.

It runs mostly fine with me and I've got 1.25GB ram, 3.00 GHz cpu and Nvidia GE Force 6800 (which is the only thing that gives me problems and the occasional crash).

I play huge Terra maps with 11+ civs at 1024x768 resolution and max graphics settings with a $120 Nvidia GeForce 6600 256 megabyte AGP card, a gig of RAM and AMD Athlon XP, 2200 MHz (11 x 200) 3200+ CPU. No crashes even on 10 hour plus gaming marathons.

I play with hugh maps and 11+ civs and have never had a crash or a lockup in 3 months use. It does however, slow down later in the game but I have gotten used to it and it does not bother me.

My system:
Dell XPS400
Pentium D 830 dual core (3Ghz, 800FSB)
2 GB DDR2 SDRAM
19 inch Ultrasharp digital flat panal 1280 x 1024 resolution
256MB PCI Express nVidia GeForce 6800

I'm the same as Chesster. It can slow down. If I take off ant-virus and stuff, its better.

Dell Dimension 8100, pretty powerful system. I do have a lot of RAM (1024).

Best wishes,

Breunor

I upgraded from 512 to 1024 ram, and it made a world of difference.

I run huge maps with no problems but at low graphics settings ....never crashed yet! ... I played with 18 civs and it gets slow at the end but no crashes

512mb ram ddr
AMD athlon 1900+ (asus motherboard)
and a dual output video card ati RADEON 32mb

Im getting a new video card for my birthday ..... dunno what I should get?!

I dont run huge maps but laptop 3ghz P4 512mbs ram integrated graphics 128mbs but standard map. Game runs swimmingly. Civ 3 speed on large maps were okay even with 200 cities on a map.

Worth looking at anand, Toms Hardware or the inquirer for reviews on Graphics. The new ATI 1900 offerings are meant to be good.

i play civ4 with huge map 18 civs and late game,

i have...
3.2Eghz p4
1 gb ram
ati x800xl
asus p4p 800 SE mobo
creative X-fi card
it ran excellent on that... i now OC'ed my processor to 3.55 ghz with same ramm at 220 mhz FSB and runs no better... plus OC'd my vid card. did make a lil difference.

2GB RAM
AMD Athlon 64 4000+
XFX 6800GS video card (128MB) - comes with a copy of Farcry (Runs excelent and is a good game)

Runs Civ4 very well with huge terra but I don't play with 18 civs because I don't play that style (my computer could do it)

It works fine for me at 1600x1200 and full AA with a huge map and max civs.

My comp

AMD 3500+
2 Gig Ram
Duel NVIDIA 7800 GT's

Go for RAM, the more the better.

jcikal said:
If you can play the big maps with no problem at all, I just need to know 3 things:

1) Physical Ram Memory in your computer

2) CPU speed

3) Video card used. Please state the manufacturer & model (EX: Nvidia GE Force 6800)

Thanks for any info.

No problem on the huge map! My system is an AMD dual core X2 4400, 2 Gigs of RAM, Radeon X1600Pro-512MB-PCI-E.

I play huge maps with 11 civs (including mine) no lockups/crashes and just some slowdown in the late game. Graphics settings on low.

Bought a new computer (off the shelf, no upgrades) to play it:

P4 1.3 Ghz
512MB RAM
integreted Intel 9xx chipset (no hardware T&L)

As I said above, the game runs fine on low settings, just slows down late game.

i haven't had ONE crash on the new gear. i'm quite surprised.

no problems on my machine, it just gets somewhat slow at the endgame sometimes.

amd barton@2.2ghz, 2 gigs ram, geforce 6800 ultra

Top Bottom