1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Post only if you can play huge maps with no problems

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by jcikal, Mar 13, 2006.

1. blargh

blargh Warlord

I've had my share of troubles but seems to be worked out and can play huge maps into modern ages without trouble. It slows down but not much.

My system is:
    WIN XP Home
    P4 3.01 GHz (HT enabled)
    512 MB 400 MHz DDR, dual channel (soon to go to 1 or 2 GB) :crazyeye:
    ATI Radeon 9550

Not overclocking anything nor using third party drivers.

2. Mahatmajon

Mahatmajon Prince

That's my machine but I only have a single 7800GT :sad:
    Well, it would be my machine if I ever put the second 1G of RAM in - everything runs perfectly without it and I'm too lazy to open the case & have to deal with getting around a fan to put the RAM in :lol:

1600x1200 is the only way to go

3. Sirian

Sirian Designer, Mohawk Games

2G dual-channel DDR-2 RAM

nVidia GeForce 7800 GT w/256MB RAM

Intel 3.0ghz dual-core CPU

Windows XP 64

- Sirian

4. MasterShake

MasterShake Goofy Boots

emachine t3410(the one from walmart)
    1&1/2 DDR Ram (came with 1/2)
    AMD 2.0ghz CPU
    windows xp

5. MattJek

MattJek King

Doubling my ram 513 to 1G helped me alot

6. Helmling

Helmling Philosopher King

I'll tell you what, I run it just fine on considerably more modest specs than most of these boys.

I've used two laptops, both in the 3 Ghz range--one P4, the other Celeron--and both with only 512. One had an onboard 64 Mb of video, the other's some cheap borrow-your-system memory video board.

Both play fine (here's the But) but I did have to turn down the graphics to low because the mid and especially the late game slow down otherwise (once the whole map's revealed, hit the brakes!).

7. Agifem

Agifem Chieftain

I exclusivly play on huge maps, 18 civs, pangea (so i meet everyone early). No problem whatsoever. My antivirus is still on, as well as trillian, and i play on windowed mode.

My computer is :
    Athlon 64 3000+
    1G RAM
    GeForce 6600

8. N3pomuk

N3pomuk Warlord

Amd Athlon 64 x2 4800+ @2,8
    2 GB of Corsair ULL DDR400
    NVIDIA EN7800 GTX
    The rest are accessories.
    I run civ @1920x1200 at 4xAA
    Huge Maps and Marathon have been no problems... Windows has.
    Except for a couple of glitches it runs smooth as a babys butt... but everyone has those.

I believe the Size of your ram has the biggest impact on wether it runs smoothly, your cpu on how long it takes between turns and resolution, and your graphicscard on the graphical detail and resolution... so it might be possible to run marathon and huge maps on something like a geforce 5 seiries with everything turend down.

cheers

9. DngrMse

DngrMse Chieftain

No problems here....I play on huge maps all the time, never a crash.

AMD Athlon 64, 3500+, (I think) Socket 754, 1 gig ram, PCI-E X800XL 256 vid card.

10. Brave Jay

Brave Jay Warlord

128mb radeon 9250
    2.8ghz cpu
    1 gig ram

I used to have 512 mb of ram and i had problems running huge maps. now i see a little bit of slow down but nothing at all like before. a huge map is playable for me with 1 gig of ram

11. Traflagar

Traflagar Chieftain

I have played huge maps a few times but I usually go for the smaller ones out of persomal preference. With my AMX 2600, one gig Kingston DDR ram and 9600SE card I had no major problems other than a little bit of lag late in the game but it was acceptable. On smaller maps I have no problems at all.

12. Extro

Extro Chieftain

Pentium 1.4 on Intel board

640 Mb RDRAM

ATI 9200 Radeon 128 Mb

Works ok on Huge Maps but it slows down considerably toward the end... would have to upgrade to 1Gb RAM as I notice that my save files are around 800Mb in the last 100 turns... I sincerly think that 1Gb of RAM or more is the trick here...

Extro :)

13. Thasis

Thasis Warlord

I have 512 RAM and I can play it fine. My computer is a Pentium 4 and my graphics card isn't great. As soon as I got the patch my gaming was fine. Havn't played anything other then a huge map ;)

14. Fluteman

Fluteman Chieftain

I have no problem playing huge maps, and I have a $50 GeForce 5200, 512MB RAM, and an Athlon XP 2500+ 1.83 GHz. However I run an EXTREMELY clean machine by keeping the number of background tasks to a bare minimum. Thus maximizing my system resources.

Use msconfig to change what runs in the background, but always check with this database (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/) before you tell something not to run in the background, as some things are vital to your system.

Also make sure to run a program like Spybot Search and Destroy on a regular basis, as spyware can seriously eat up resources.

Good Luck!

15. impervius

impervius Chieftain

512mb ram

3ghz

128mb radeon

16. jcikal

jcikal The Voice of Reason

Great info so far guys. This is good information even to pass along to Firaxis. Maybe they could gather some important information from this. So far I've gathered that the most important things to have are:

1) An Nvidia card with at least 256mb
    3) 1 or 2 Gigs of memory ram

I'm actually running the demo on my measly 1.1Ghz AMD CPU with 256mb RAM, 64mb ATI Video card. Yes, I get the creepy leaderheads, with only their eyes/teeth showing. They creep me out sometimes. Tim Burton would be proud.

The bik movies are practically unwatchable since they C R A W L at a snail's pace. The game is very playable though, slowing somewhat once the map is revealed. I'm running everything on High settings but only playing with 4 Civs total.

I'll probably end up getting an AMD 2.8 or 3.0 Ghz with definitively 2 Gigs of RAM and an NVIDIA 256mb Card (7800 or 6800, haven't checked out the prices for each yet).

17. Calder

Calder Warlord

AMD Athlon64 4000+
    GeForce 7800GTX 256mb
    2Gig RAM

After being the unlucky owner of one of those 1 in a million faulty motherboards, and constant game crashes for two months, I replaced motherboard, uninstalled game and patch then reinstalled, and I can now play on the highest settings, huge maps without a glitch.

18. Vladesch

Vladesch Warlord

1) Physical Ram Memory in your computer : 1GB

2) CPU speed : Athalon 3000 xp @ 166 Mhz FSB

3) Video card used. Please state the manufacturer & model (EX: Nvidia GE Force 6800) : Powercolor radeon 9600xt