1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Post Short Single Player Tips Here

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by Padma, Jul 18, 2003.

1. WeirdoJoker

WeirdoJoker Prince

Thanks. I'll take a look when I get the chance.

I was not planning for a Histographic Victory to begin with (looking to build a Spaceship), so I'm not that concerned about my score as such. It's just mildly demoralizing to see myself in last place.

2. Aabraxan

Aabraxan Mid-level Micromanager

FWIW, down in the Succession Games forum, there's "An Archive of Training Day Games." There's also a link in my sig. Those were games in which a higher-level player (usually DG and up) would act as a mentor to a bunch of us newbies. There was a whole lot of discussion about the "whys" of C3C, and they almost always went for space victories. That way, they got to go through the whole tech tree. It wouldn't be much of a Training Day Game if you just conquer the world with cavs. Anyway, I don't know if the screenshots or the saves are still available, but the discussions might be worth your while to look into. They were very educational games for me.

3. justanick

justanick Emperor

This is one of the reasons why advanced players may tune down the research sliders 2 turns before finishing a tech. In order to finish a tech you need to have invested at least 1 beaker per turn in 4 seperate turns. The limit of 4 turns refers to turns of actual research. Also your total collected beakers for the tech need to suffice. If someone beats you to a tech that figure can decline and possibly decline a lot if the tech is traded a lot.

Knightfall likes this.
  4. Chicken Pizza

Chicken Pizza Warlord

How do you waste RNG without fighting?

I scouted out a place where I could get over seas in two turns, had thirteen galleys full of people and nine of them sank.

Poor bastards.

After some reloading, I accepted it and used what I got, but it still would be nice to know how you make the random number generator go forward by using the diplomacy screen, if you don't have anybody within reach to fight.

Do you have to threaten someone with "accept this or take the consequences"?

Knightfall likes this.
  5. justanick

justanick Emperor

Before starting the game uncheck "save random seed". This means that outcomes are not saved in the game and will be new whenever you load the savegame. It kinda is cheating, though.

Regarding shipping over unsave waters the smart move is to use more than ample transport. If you use a ship chain you can limit your losses to the ships while the chargo does not need to drown.

Knightfall and Chicken Pizza like this.
  6. Chicken Pizza

Chicken Pizza Warlord

I know :cry:

I should've built more galleys and sent 2/3 (or whatever) of them to the other side first.

Please don't kill me.

Knightfall likes this.
  7. EMan

EMan HOFer: Milk-Cow? Supporter

Or, you could build The Great Lighthouse first and then move the Galleys safely. ;)

Knightfall likes this.
  8. Chicken Pizza

Chicken Pizza Warlord

Spending 300 shields with the risk of someone else beting me to it? No, I prefer 10 more galleys.

The distance was 6 tiles from coast to coast, and 4 from sea to sea, so both was possible.

It didn't matter anyway, I sent about 35 cavalry later and got an entire new ring of cities in.. maybe only 15 turns.

All of them are now producing one shield per turn for me and I didn't even get to rape one of their women.

Knightfall likes this.
  9. justanick

justanick Emperor

The Great Lighthouse is actually a sound choice. Else just waiting for Astronomy is practical. Galleys are not really meant for invasions of other continents.

Knightfall likes this.
  10. Chicken Pizza

Chicken Pizza Warlord

What if you captured or settled your first towns far away from the capital, built courthouses, and maybe marketplace/temple for we love the king day to get even less corruption, then build your empire in an inwards direction?

No more waiting 40 turns for courthouses.

Knightfall likes this.
  11. justanick

justanick Emperor

This makes no sense.

In the long run corruption is dominated by rank corruption, so this seems to be one motivation for your counterintuitive approach. In the short run distance corruption dominates. Only after you have left despotism(50% more distance corruption than republic) and have build a courthouse, distance corruption will be small. Also keep in mind that not being part of your trade network gives a malus of 20%. Those factor are multiplicative.

Say as a developed republic distance corruption is 20%(This happen to match 20 tiles distance on a standard size map). Without courthouse it is 40%. With Despotism it is 60%. Not having a road to connect your town to the capital will increase distance corruption to 72%.

In the early game you want high returns on your investments and you want them to be as immediate as reasonable possible. Your settlers should exist as few turns as possible, they should settle soon.

In the (semi)late game you can simply build 4 cavalry for 80 shields each and disband them to get 80 shields in total for a courthouse. This is an effective strategy once your inner core has been developed. After you have railroads it can become a common strategy as production is plenty.

12. LaSalle

LaSalle Chieftain

Don't build every building in each city because maintenance costs will eat away at your treasury, slow your research, and drag down your empire.. Instead specialize your cities. In a location rich in food build a granary and build settlers and workers. Build a barracks in a city with high shield potential and then only build military units. Build libraries and universities in your cities with the highest commerce. The same goes for banks and stock exchanges.

iceage_va, Spoonwood and Knightfall like this.