Post war depression?

Nobody

Gangster
I don't know if this is a thing or just happened to me. Iv only really started playing civ6 and this is only my first game to go anywhere. Iv been living peacefully for thousands of years when China declared war on me. My economy was booming and was leading science but my military sucked, anyway so i went to war bulit a army went and smashed china. Now the wars over and my economy is dead, my citys are in rebellion with lots of Diggers attacking my own lands which means my bulidings are pillaged and my army is still off in china. I just went bankrupt so my army is getting deleted and my amenitys are down horrible which is causing my rebellions.

Anyway im sure i can solve the problems. But does this sort of thing always happen after a big war?

it happens to me. I typically dont send my entire army abroad, I waste units posting them to important districts.
but the first time it happened to me the same as described happened. Except that 3-4 modern armor would pop up around almost every city.
I was toast.

It happens if you lose too much or, more in general, let the war go on for too long. You accumulate war weariness, which only increases during the war, and starts decreasing only when it's over. War weariness is basically an amenities penalty, and once you get below a certain threshold, rebels start to spawn. Also, going bankrupt may have to do with having penalties instead of bonuses to city yields (again because of amenities).

Full disclosure, haven't played 6 so this is just theory

But do you think you may have over-extended the war effort? Maybe you could have gotten a peace deal sooner? Did you take any cities? Especially bad ones?

Lastly is your military weighing down the economy?

Full disclosure, haven't played 6 so this is just theory

But do you think you may have over-extended the war effort? Maybe you could have gotten a peace deal sooner? Did you take any cities? Especially bad ones?

Lastly is your military weighing down the economy?

Bad cities don't matter in Civ 6. The only thing is that your amenities are spread out over more cities, but if you didn't have amenity problems beforehand it won't be enough to cause a rebellion.

Anyway im sure i can solve the problems. But does this sort of thing always happen after a big war?
No, not always. It sounds like you didn't plan for the war and had to build a lot of units from scratch. I always build up my army as I go and upgrade the units with cash, and then maybe build a few units to expand my army or replace losses. One thing this means is that my cities can keep building things while I'm fighting. I never have to do that "total war" thing of bending my entire economy to war production.

You also need to keep an eye on your amenities. A rapid growth in your population - such as you get from capturing a bunch of cities - can stretch your luxuries so thin that all of your cities become unhappy.

I've also noticed that War Weariness is not necessarily evenly distributed across your cities. Just this past weekend, I invaded a neighbor and one of my home cities gained -6 war weariness rather quickly, but everybody else was fine.

You sir just suffered a massive war weariness effect. The longer a war goes on and the more casualties are suffered, the more unhappiness is generated in your cities, which in the end can result in rebellions and barb like units spawning.

Also, war weariness is worst in captured cities.

So when going at war, it s best to have an amenity buffer and to keep an eye on your cities amenities. When you reach -2, it s probably time to just make peace.

Then war weariness will slowly go back to 0 restoring order.

Ah, i didn't expect that to be such a factor, I was winning the war but lost a few boats and they declared war.

Yea the war probably went on a bit long maybe 30 turns but it took a while to build up then go in. I only took 3 cities (Liberated an Indian and Seoul) and captured their capital. But I spent too long taking their capital just to punish them when I could have peace. But I crushed them in the war so it was worth it.

Actually, pretty fun and realistic to win the war then have back home fell apart. But once that was over everything went back to good.

Last edited:
I always build up my army as I go and upgrade the units with cash, and then maybe build a few units to expand my army or replace losses. One thing this means is that my cities can keep building things while I'm fighting.
I think this is a part of the single-most-important-element of Civilization 6, that being...

...the key to success is to declare the one war you intend to fight in the ancient era and finish it before the medieval era. From that point on, your military is to be kept strong enough and positioned well enough that no one will declare war on you.

From my experience, you will win every single-player game if you can pull off this feat, and with very few headaches along the way. There are several stipulations/considerations. First, it obviously does not apply to domination wins. Second, it is extremely hard to pull off at deity level.Third, you may only discover which war is necessary by the classical era so you'd be a bit delayed in setting up your victory. Fourth, the placement of civilizations may mean that you'll want to have two wars instead of one. This is because of the reason why you're declaring the war in the first place. And that reason is...

Having adequate territory gives you the space to build the cities which give you the yields that you need to win the game.

That's pretty much the whole game in a nutshell. You need enough cities to get your science, culture, production, gold, tourism and/or faith yields to an adequate degree which will allow you to perform the tasks that are needed to achieve a victory condition. Usually, someone else claims part of the territory that is needed to fulfill this agenda, and that is the person that you declare war on. Someone else DoWing you, or being a major nuisance, is not a valid reason for declaring war. There is no emotion; no retribution, that has a purpose, the only purpose is to claim the territory that is necessary to get your yields to a degree that a victory condition can be reached. Granted, there is some role-playing involved as this is a game, there is satisfaction that is felt when you trounce the person who's been a nuisance in this game or previous games, but for optimum play they are a distant second in priority.

Playing the game from this perspective, you'll want the declaration of war to take place in the ancient era because there is no warmonger penalty if this is the case. You will get some warmonger penalty because conquering cities does contribute, and this is considerably more of a penalty if you burn cities down because the AI made a bone-headed placement or if you need to eradicate a civilization.

One of the most notable considerations when you play this way is that early unique units are more helpful than later ones. The cossack may provide better advantages than the war cart, but since the purpose of the war cart is acquisition whereas the purpose of the cossack is either deterring war or concluding it earlier, the war cart is a much more valuable asset.

I've also noticed that War Weariness is not necessarily evenly distributed across your cities. Just this past weekend, I invaded a neighbor and one of my home cities gained -6 war weariness rather quickly, but everybody else was fine.
I've seen this happen too, but often the "office of luxury amenity distribution" will correct this on the subsequent turn.

I had similar experiences when I stared playing. This is civ, I thought, science is king and will cure all problems. The problem is in civ 6 you can't just build whatever building a city you want. Buildings are limited by what districts you have, and districts are limited by population. I kept running out of money until I started building commerce hubs. Then I can't keep my capital happy because it's large and is suffering from war wariness so I need to build a Entertainment district there. I also need to increase my production capacity...

Now spys are recking me, they bankrupted me which put me into rebellions and my only option to delete my military which i just finished buliding.

Top Bottom