Potential lag exploit already being used in the ranked ladder?

TheMystic

Warlord
I've spoken with a few of the top players on the ladder, and there has been a mention of this on the 2K forums twice, so I thought I'd see what you all thought. Yesterday I matched with the #6 guy on the ladder, I wished him good luck via voice on the 360, he remains silent, we launch the game.

I was the Zulu, and I play aggressively. First turn begins, I lay down my settler in a perfect starting point, I modify my worker output for customized production, and I hit end turn after taking a peek at the diplomacy panel and seeing that he's romans. I thought to myself that he's going to do the typical Roman settler boom cheese strat, unfortunately for him though my Impi Warriors move two tiles a turn, and I'd be making my best effort to find him as quickly as possible.

So the turn ends, the gears spin, but then "waiting for joeyf1985" pops up. I had seen this message before, but it would usually go away after a few seconds and the game would resume. I found it odd that this popped up the second the gears started spinning though. The message remains for about 15-20 seconds, then it goes away. The gears keep spinning.

So I try talking over voicecomm, still no communication from Joey. I quickly pull up the 360 dashboard mini-window and navigate to Players. I see that he's in-game. I send him a private chat request along with a page, and send him a text message. I wait a minute or two, no response. I then send another text message and wait. No response. Finally, I send another chat request with 2-3 pages this time, and a final text message asking if he was exploiting or something. It was just too odd that this guy was ignoring all communication attempts.

So I continue to wait, minutes pass. He never joined chat, never messaged me back. I look at his profile about five minutes later, and see that he is now "away". He stays away for 32 minutes before coming back. While this is going on, I begin a private chat with another top ladder player (rank 3) who says he believes that an exploit may be out there to lag out games when it goes to end a turn. He pulls up Joey's current stats, and I begin gathering some evidence just incase there is an exploit in use.

Joey had come back, and he had gone away again. He hadn't messaged me back, he ignored chat requests and messages. He received four messages in total, and around six chat requests in the two hours he made me wait. A little after the two hour mark, Joey quit the game, I received the victory screen, and then he messages me saying that he was sorry that his game had locked, so he went out for a bit. He was gone for 32 minutes before coming back, then was away again, then came back. All that time he had messages from me, and chat requests, which he ignored. Then when he finally wants to quit, he messages me.

Now, this is a guy who on the 2K forums was complaining that he never had lost a game, and was upset how disconnects were handled since they had given him losses. I found it extremely suspicious that this occured on the first turn, which I'm guessing if it is an exploit he knew that with me being Zulu and he being Romans, he'd be in trouble if I rushed him. The fact that he ignored me, then went away for 32 minutes, then came back, then went away again, makes me think that he knew exactly what he was doing. He was waiting for me to quit the game. He quit first, I got the win, the ladder updated to reflect this.

Here are four pictures during the event. When he initially came back after the 32 minutes, the "waiting for joeyf1985" prompt did come up again, and stayed on the screen for several minutes before going away. The gears only stopped spinning after he quit the game.

http://www.invisibledream.com/joeyf1985.jpg
http://www.invisibledream.com/joeyf1985b.jpg
http://www.invisibledream.com/joeyf1985c.jpg
http://www.invisibledream.com/joeyf1985d.jpg

So do you believe that this was the use of an exploit by a top ladder player?

You've made a very good case. Looks to be an exploit and his reactions were very suspicious. It really blows that people are so worried about their rank they will try to keep it at other's expenses.

That's just sad.

Guess that's why having a good friends list is important.

Cheaters in a video game = losers in real life. Sucks to be them. :D

That's just sad.

Guess that's why having a good friends list is important.

Cheaters in a video game = losers in real life. Sucks to be them. :D

You can't invite friends into ranked games. They do that to avoid point pushing between friends and everything.

ive seen similar things like this before too

the game locking needs to be fixed before we can be sure of anything though, personally i have lost no Head to Head matches either other than through being disconnected, very annoying!

ive seen similar things like this before too

the game locking needs to be fixed before we can be sure of anything though, personally i have lost no Head to Head matches either other than through being disconnected, very annoying!

I had this happen again last night in a 4 player FFA game. He left us waiting for about five minutes though, but I convinced the other two people to wait it out. I said I'd be leaving the game on all night if I had to, since it was 12:30AM my time and I'd be sleeping for a good six hours at least.

What's funny is, the guy was still in game, and he popped in voice comm after I started saying that there was probably an exploit being used. It wasn't until I started talking about leaving the game on all night and following up with 2K that he took off, leaving us all baffled. The game then ran fine all the way until the end.

I had this happen again last night in a 4 player FFA game. He left us waiting for about five minutes though, but I convinced the other two people to wait it out. I said I'd be leaving the game on all night if I had to, since it was 12:30AM my time and I'd be sleeping for a good six hours at least.

What's funny is, the guy was still in game, and he popped in voice comm after I started saying that there was probably an exploit being used. It wasn't until I started talking about leaving the game on all night and following up with 2K that he took off, leaving us all baffled. The game then ran fine all the way until the end.

I believe that this may be an exploit as Mystic has pointed out, this did happen to me in the demo yesterday, but i'm not certain if it was done by accident or the guys game froze. He was still talking to me fine and everything. But the same thing happened though, His name pops up in the "Waiting for Response", message. And then the gears kept spinning constantly. I definitely believe this is an exploit. But at least we all know how to beat them at their own game. Just wait it out, go to a party or sleep and then come back.lol.

its ridiculous we have to wait out this time of thing...why doesn't it just time them out?

I thought there was a time limit on turns...does it not try to just skip their turn at all?

You can't invite friends into ranked games. They do that to avoid point pushing between friends and everything.

Yeah, I meant playing in general.

I understand the whole friends/ranking thing. Guess if I play MP, it will be just non-ranked. :D

its ridiculous we have to wait out this time of thing...why doesn't it just time them out?

I thought there was a time limit on turns...does it not try to just skip their turn at all?

aye ud think it would, hopefully thatl be fixed

Top Bottom