Praise and Critics (if you don't mind...)

ono-neko

Prince
I play the BtS version and love it! I always love epic game, so I only play the "Marathon" timeline. Unfortunately, with the biggest map, my computer will take half a minute or so to wait for the AI in between turns, so I play with medium map, which is fine for me. Great mod, especially for people who likes the ancient worlds/warfare with swords and spears rather than guns and tanks.

As I am very interested with Roman's civilization, I play as Roman a lot. The only irk I have is, it seems that I can only get to the technology to create Legionnaires in early AD, while they already existed historically since 4th century BC. This causes the need of having a lot of axemen for attacks in early games. As I have a lot of axemen in early wars, they got a lot of experiences and levels, which by the time I am able to create Legionnaires, my axemen are more useful then them. Of course having axemen makes it "historically incorrect" for Roman civilization, since Roman already use the term Legions since they were Republic. I'd rather think of the unix Axeman as the early Legionnaires in repiblic era, and the unit Legionnaries as the Legions after the Marian reform (when the Legionnaires became professional armies) :).

Ok, back to Axemen being more useful. This is because you can give "City Attack" promotion to Axemen, but not to Legionnaires. With only 3 promotion of city raiders, this makes Axemen to be more useful for city attack compare to Legionnaires with the same number of promotion. I always end up with several Axemen for city attack and Legionnaires for protection/defender and to attack units outside the cities. Though, I understand that if Legionnaires can have City raider promotion, this will make them too powerful and unbalance in the game. They are definitely a good replacement of archers for city defenders, but I always give them the stars promotions to make them the "all purpose units".

Well, those are my only complains. Other then that, all I can say is that it is a great mod, and I always enjoy playing the mod! If only my PC can handle the AI movement faster, I'd play the most epic game with the biggest map TAM can offer!

Thank you for the great mod, and keep up the great work!

With only 3 promotion of city raiders, this makes Axemen to be more useful for city attack compare to Legionnaires with the same number of promotion.

If they both have the same number of promotions, the Legionary is actually better.

Axeman with City Raider III: 5 str +25% +75% = 10 Str when attacking cities
Legionary with Strength III: 8 str +10% +30% = 11.2 Str when attacking cities

The Roman Legionaries are better than Axemen in every circumstance, unless the Axeman has more promotions. I always build nothing but Legionaries once I reach Iron Working.

Top Bottom