1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Prefer Civ II to Civ III

Discussion in 'Civ2 - General Discussions' started by mattc670, Feb 27, 2004.

1. Stegyre

Stegyre Expatriate

:lol:
    Reminds me of Krusty the Clown's plea in a Simpsons episode: "They drove truckloads of cash up to my house. . . . I'm only human *sob* *sob*"

2. SideshowBob

SideshowBob Ah, winter finally.

:lol: But it's only human nature, when you've got a lot you want more because you can't do anything with all the money you have (if you have that much i.e.). The only thing you can do is make the numbers grow. I'll be happy when I've paid for the roof over my head and can afford to live well even though not extravagantly.

3. rponton

rponton Warlord

I agree with sideshow, she hit it right on the head. Pay my bills, put my kids through school, live a good, clean life. Of course I wouldn't turn down a million Dollars...

4. rychan

rychan CS geek

Hmm... I definitely like civ3 better. I do miss the nice wonder movies that civ 2 had :( The city view was also more compelling. Civ3 cities are always unimpressive looking.

I like the culture system in civ3.

5. scloopy

scloopy Lost One

I love Civ II and finally gave up on III the graphics and the bells and whistles are not an improvement just a distraction.

If have finished two games in III but not near as much fun as II. I don't feel like I accomplished much.

6. Nylan

Nylan Characters Welcome

Well, Civ3 is "harder" than Civ2.:eek:

7. scloopy

scloopy Lost One

I did not find it to be harder, just longer. In fact it is easier than II once you get used to the new AI cheats. I went back to II and I think there I shall stay. I don't win as often, but I have more fun.

I still have one unfinished game of III and every now and again I play a few turns, but then I get bored and go back to II.

8. DvR

DvR ½ man, ½ amazing

I tried Civ III one or two times... But I just couldn't stand the cartoony looks...
    CivII has some more maturity to it somehow... Whenever I see Civ III, I feel like I'm looking at some cheaply fast produced kiddygame with the only intention of making more money out of it...

9. PresidentCaesar

PresidentCaesar Chieftain

I've been trying to get used to Civ III for the past week, and I finally broke down and went back to Civ II today. It feels like getting a breath of fresh air after being cooped up in a stuffy, smoke-filled room. Maybe some day I'll get used to all of the little changes and nuances of Civ III like I have for Civ II, but for right now I'm going to stick with good ol' familiar civ II (at least for two or three games).
    The two changes I like the best in Civ III are the borders and the way trade is handled, although I'm not a big fan of the new resource system.

10. Sir Oswulf

Sir Oswulf Chieftain

I think the whole concept of culture is a neat idea--but can't endure CIV III for long enough to actually see it in action.

11. Nylan

Nylan Characters Welcome

@Scloopy:

Well, I ment it as in the new ways to win and stuff. AI seems to beat me at getting all of the new ones in Civ3

12. SVAndrei

SVAndrei Chieftain

I'm new to the forum, but i've been playing CIV II MGE for quite a while. I don't think that Civ 3 brings any real improvments to its prequel.

13. ArmPilot

ArmPilot Warlord

What i miss is the drop down cheat menu :D

14. MornNB

MornNB Chieftain

Civ 3 has better AI, better airforce implamentation, borders, relies less on city fortications. However, the scenario's for it are quite limited without any event file or way to edit diplomacy, the great thing about civ 2 is the scenario's.
    I think that Civ 3 has the better aircraft though, more realistic, using airfields, doesn't move like a regular unit because it is not!

15. scloopy

scloopy Lost One

I think, after playing III and II the only thing I wish II had that it does not is that the area of the cities expand. I am not to knowledgeable about airplanes and stuff, but cities do expand.

16. Jonesie85two

Jonesie85two Chieftain

im easily temted into cheating... and with civ2 it has an i built cheat menu... which ruins the experience for me... but, with civ3... the temptation of just agreeing to the cheat menu activation box is gone... as it has no cheat menu

17. funxus

funxus Orange Cycloptic Blob

You've got to have some will-power.:)

Maybe you could edit the whole menu out of the game as well.

18. blackthorn

blackthorn Black ship of dispair

He he. cheat mode is for the weak.

19. addiv

addiv Hero of our time

You see that you have cheated in your Civ score anyway, so you can't just cheat without consequences (that is, if you care about your Civ score ;)).

20. Ace

Ace Emperor

I like the cheat mode. It gives one the chance to vent anger/frustrations when things go terribly wrong. Like, its 1000bc, you have just built your 6th city, and barbs pop up on consequitive turns next to your cities AND the Greeks sneak attack your capital, breaking a ceasefire!! Activate the cheat mode, nuke em all, and start a new game. It is amazing how a few mushroom clouds can improve your morale!