President's Thread Term 7

I'm afraid he's serious. :sad:

He contacted me about it before he did.
Unfortunately, our deal with Piffle is clear, Compass and Optics for Philosophy. They gave us Philosophy last turn… no way we could hold out on them with any honor… and given how things are going with Innovia and Aloha, and we don't need to be making enemies!

EDIT: For clarity, Piffle called US and demanded it. We didn't offer it up.

Since we're gearing up to settle 3 new cities...

Current Settlement plan for discussion:

or the full version without going off-site:
Spoiler :

Current Settlement Order:
1) Point Defiance
2) Overlook Bay
3) Mighty Bulwark
4) Sunrise Citadel
5) Argyle Watch
6) Icy Redoubt
7) Scion Fortress (formerly city)
8) Sanctuary West

Dave has suggested moving Overlook Bay down on the list.
Scion Fortress and Sanctuary West both have the advantage of adding new resources to the Empire.
Argyle Watch and Overlook Bay are better sites imo, but they don't add any new resources to our pile.

We should try to make an order decision asap so our Defense Minister can assign troops accordingly.

Another advantage to settling SF and SW is Fog Busting. Once they get a cultural expansion, we'll only have 5 or 6 tiles of fog, which will be nice. Plus, it makes it very easy for us to shuttle units among cities.

I'm really hoping we get another luxury or two soon so that we can free up more units for garrisoning and fogbusting.

If we agree that getting extra happy luxuries is top priority, then Sanctuary West is our spot.

Remember - Sunrise Citadel will net us Ivory for +1:) ... but the more the merrier!

Well 1 Settler is ready and 2 more are comming ASAP...where should they go and in what order?

How does worker support look Dave?

Mighty Bulwark seems like a good choice for me at the moment as there are 2 workers nearby that can begin to help out with the land. (Ssettler is ready for next turn)

Additionally this Settler can't head towards Sunrise Citadel as he would eb infront of the Maceman. (as a second and third no go there is no worker available yet, and this city also needs a missionary unit for the border expasion. (Maybe after the Mine on the plains Hill that worker can go??)

Mighty Bulwark next sounds good to me.
I think we need to get to Sunrise Citadel asap – but if we can’t get a worker or missionary down there, then I guess it could slip to 3rd priorty.

As for second place… Scion Fortress makes good sense as a quick grab to me. Close to our established cities, and picking up horses would be nice if we decide we need some rapid response units.

So…
1) Mighty Bulwark
2) Scion Fortress
3) Sunrise Citadel

Is that what we’re all thinking?

Some nitpicks about Scion Fortress.

- It has the same acronym as Sunset Fortress. :sad:
- I would rather build it 1 tile north, to avoid having any unused tiles.
- I would rather have iron than horses.

What about building a galley to assist the settler reaching Sunrise Citadel?

Depending on the timing, we could produce one after the Caravel from Point Defiance. Two turns at sea is a lot quicker than slogging through jungle. :)

Also, are we going to continue to produce 3 or 4 turn Macemen for a while in Eridani? We could really use the deterrent force, as well as MP.

Ok So please have a Look Below:

This is what I envision West (Towards Mighty Bulwark)
1 Catapult (2 give us 2 Axe's and 1 Catapult)
The Settler
Spoiler :

And Going East: (Towards Sunrise Citadel)
1 Axeman & 1 Maceman. Then once the city is set up one unit can press on and explore
Spoiler :

The Next Settler out of Port of Mists, should be able to jump on a Galley (with a worker) if we produce a Galley in Sunset Fortress after the forge. They will meet the Axeman (and trailing Maceman) there.

The 3rd Settler out of the Capital will go to an undetermined spot at the moment. (Pending on our worker Deployment)

Thoughts? Ideas? Sugeestions?

I didn't even consider a galley from Sunset Fortress :hmm:

I agree that we could do more exploring to our SE, but wouldn't it make more sense to do that exploration with a caravel or galley from Point Defiance?? Oh! - Will Sunrise Citadel be a canal?! That would satisfy me ;)

This line confuses me:
1 Catapult (2 give us 2 Axe's and 1 Catapult)
The Settler

I think for safety's sake we should garrison Mighty Bulwark with at least an axeman (or mace) as well as a catapult. I expect to see barbarian activity there. Road Guard is already there, so we only need to send a catapult. The other location (Scion something or other, I believe) could get an axeman and cat as well :)

I like that plan!

I also really like the idea of sending the Settler to Sunset Fortress and then sailing over on a galley to Sunrise Citadel.
I think it will be militarily important to have a galley in those waters anyway for rapid military response to either choke point. So… lots of good reasons to do this.
@DaveMcW – can we prioritize building a Galley after the Forge in Sunset Fortress?

DaveMcW said:
Some nitpicks about Scion Fortress.

- It has the same acronym as Sunset Fortress. :sad:
- I would rather build it 1 tile north, to avoid having any unused tiles.
- I would rather have iron than horses.

#1) Ok – man, I’m having a hard time with these names! :lol:
Forgot about cities we already had (yeah… been sick… I’m gonna use that excuse again)

So how about Fortress Scion?

#2) I’m not sure I understand why you want to move the location one tile north? We lose the useless mountain tile – which is nice. But we also lose a plains forest, and end up with 3 overlapping tiles. If the issue is having maximum number of usable tiles, then surely 1 north is one step forward and 3 steps backward?

#3) I agree – I’d much rather have Iron than horses also… but I thought we were maybe holding off on Iron till we decided we really needed it?
I’d actually be totally on board for settling Icy Redoubt before Fortress Scion – gives us a nice Northern Passage for our boats, and gives us access to a key military resource… too bad it’s a crummy city otherwise.

Are you proposing Icy Redoubt as our 3rd city in this wave of settlers?

Another political calculation about settling Icy Redoubt: Any civ that hasn't found their own Iron will be justifiably apoplectic that the team over 100 points out in front has something they don't have. That could serve to paint a big target on us.

Why not produce a settler, and send him along with a Maceman up to Icy Redoubt, and just let them snooze until we need Iron? We don't need roads, as we can trade along the coast, right? And we don't need a worker, as settling on the Iron itself provides the resource, right?

I know it's usually bad form to invest hammers and and halt growth for a few turns, then not harvest a return on that investment; but in this case it may make sense to 'preload' our Iron.

I didn't even consider a galley from Sunset Fortress :hmm:

I agree that we could do more exploring to our SE, but wouldn't it make more sense to do that exploration with a caravel or galley from Point Defiance?? Oh! - Will Sunrise Citadel be a canal?! That would satisfy me ;)

This line confuses me:

I think for safety's sake we should garrison Mighty Bulwark with at least an axeman (or mace) as well as a catapult. I expect to see barbarian activity there. Road Guard is already there, so we only need to send a catapult. The other location (Scion something or other, I believe) could get an axeman and cat as well :)

To Clear it up.

We already have 2 Axemen over there. Road Guard and the Fortified Gate Keeper. Unless Pfiffle Attacks soon (highly Unlikely) Gate Keeper is Fine.

The Catapult was in the screenshot. That was me suggesting we divert 1 Catapult to the West to sit inbetween Mighty Bulwark and Sunset.

The first Maceman out of Immortal Keep I would suggest sending there, as well. (with the Second going back to the East, 3rd East Again. 4th West, 5th East, 6th West....etc.

As for the other catapult in The Holy City that coudl even go to the East as well...but that is a discussion for the other thread.

#2) I’m not sure I understand why you want to move the location one tile north? We lose the useless mountain tile – which is nice. But we also lose a plains forest, and end up with 3 overlapping tiles. If the issue is having maximum number of usable tiles, then surely 1 north is one step forward and 3 steps backward?

I want all the (good) tiles on our continent to be part of a city eventually.

Overlap is actually good, it lets us grow cottages faster for the science-specialized cities.

ok - that makes sense.

What's your take on when we should settle Icy Redoubt?

After Mighty Bulwark and Sunrise Citadel, my preferences are:

1. Overlook Bay (easiest to connect and defend)
2. Icy Redoubt (need time to get a defender and missionary)
3. Argyle's Watch (commerce and piffle-blocking)
4. Scion (need horses before Military Tradition)

That looks like a good list to me! :thumbsup:

Do we know on which turns settlers will be produced? That could help us determine which garrison units need a head start to beat the settler to the location. Thankfully, Memphus already figured out the hardest one :goodjob:

Top Bottom