Preview of Large North America map

have you thought about adding Greenland? Did you see my edit in the last post?

Originally posted by Yoda Power

edit-isn´t Mexico too green?
Most of the green you are seeing is hills. There is also dry forest along the coast which I have simulated with forest over plains.

Edit: removed attachment.

have you thought about adding Greenland? Did you see my edit in the last post?
Probably not. In the North America projecion I am using the far north is very distorted, Greenland runs diagonally. To really make it look right I think I would need to do a seperate projection for arctic Canada and fuse it on top of the rest of North America, then position Greenland free hand. This is where laziness comes into play; I'm itching to give this map a go and I want it to be done.

Mexico-
There are no mountains on the Yucatan pensula.
There should´nt be jungle in other places than Yucatan. The rest of mexico is very dry, desert and plains instead of jungle:)

Rocky Mountains-
With all that floodplan its going to be metropolis paradise. I suggest that you put more mountains in(keep some of the flood plain though).

Alaska-
Need more mountains and hills.

East Coast-
From Virginia and down the coast line has lot of swamp. Since there is no swamp in civ, I suggest you put forest and jungle instead(a mix between them).

Texas-
Add some desert, you will need it when placing resources.

Missisipi-
I think the west side should have more plains.

keep up the good work:goodjob:

Mexico-
There are no mountains on the Yucatan pensula.
There should´nt be jungle in other places than Yucatan. The rest of mexico is very dry, desert and plains instead of jungle:)

Rocky Mountains-
With all that floodplan its going to be metropolis paradise. I suggest that you put more mountains in(keep some of the flood plain though).

Alaska-
Need more mountains and hills.

East Coast-
From Virginia and down the coast line has lot of swamp. Since there is no swamp in civ, I suggest you put forest and jungle instead(a mix between them).

Texas-
Add some desert, you will need it when placing resources.

Missisipi-
I think the west side should have more plains.

keep up the good work:goodjob:
I am using a very detailed map of North America's ecoregions, this is part of the reason this map is taking so long. I really wish it was possible to put jungle over plains and desert and forest over desert; there are many ecoregions in North America that would be best expressed this way.

The mountain in the Yucatan is part of the grid and will be removed as soon as I do Cuba. There are jungles on the east coast of Mexico all the way up to Tampico; Oaxaca and Chiapas are also covered in dense tropical forest even though the climate is somewhat dry. The west coast and the Sierra Madre Occidental Mountains are full of dry climate forest south of the Sanoran Desert, I chose to express this with forest over plains. From Jalisco south, most of Mexico was originally forested.

I have had the same thought about the flood plains in the Rockies, especially the Snake River valley. They are geographically accurate and may be needed for balance (this will become clearer when I add the bonus resources). I may change them to plains with pine forest. I will make a decision after I have tested the map a couple of times. I should note that I intend to prohibit the building of cities on desert or tundra.

I am thinking of adding more pine forest to the southeast coast of the US and more hills to Alaska.

Most of the desert areas of Texas are in the south or southwest part of the state where the terrain is quite rugged, since these areas are next to the Rio Grande I made them into hills and mountains to limit the flood plains. I am changing the rules for resource placement as needed to put them in the proper locations. This will be needed for things like the oil in Alberta, west Texas and Oklahoma and diamonds in northern Canada

I have completed the basic map though there might be some revisions. The next step is to place the resorces and then playtest the map and revise it so that all of the starting areas are relatively equal. When I have done this I will post the results in User Created Maps. Here is a download of the map without resources.

Here is the screenshot.

Attachments

• na final.jpg
    na final.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 62
one small suggestions. Venezuela isn´t all jungle, the coast is more like plain and forest.

one small suggestions. Venezuela isn´t all jungle, the coast is more like plain and forest.
Yeah, I did that more for strategy reasons, I wanted to make it hard to colonize, otherwise the Mexico City starting location would have a huge advantage over the others. I made all of lower Central America and Venezuela jungle to slow them down. If it turns out to not be an issue when I play test it, I may change it to be more accurate.

Top Bottom