Privateer Revealed When First Entering a Border?

JohnCarterOfMars

Chieftain
I'm sorry if this has been asked and answered, but a quick search didn't find my specific situation.

I have a privateer that entered an undisclosed civ's border for the first time, and I was greeted with the first contact screen. Should this have happened, or should the privateer's nationality have been hidden and I should have been able to explore the coast unknown?

I'm playing BtS with the Realism:Invictus mod, if that matters.

Thanks in advance.

I can't speak for RI mechanics, although @PPQ_Purple might have an answer in that regard. The privateer may have allowed the contact with overseas AI, but as far as the game is concerned your privateer is still neutral, at least in the base game.

Works like that in BTS too. Just had a game where Monty of all people discovered me with a privy. It also immediately led to contact with his master.
AI still should be none the wiser, but has multiplayer implications. But there's also the "got a great general while not at war" that could give it away :lol:

Thanks for the replies. So, from what you're saying, while I know who the civ is, they won't know about me?

Thanks.

while I know who the civ is, they won't know about me
They will know you and can interact with you but they don't know the Privateer is yours - daft but that's how it works.

They will know you and can interact with you but they don't know the Privateer is yours - daft but that's how it works.
Thanks.

I continued my game and figured that out. The privateer triggered the first contact, and then the civs started asking me for open borders and to join their wars, so I figured that they knew me despite the privateer hiding my nationality.

I'm still raiding their fisheries and sinking their ships and they don't know that's me, but they knew it was me when I first contacted them.

I was hoping to keep my civ a secret for longer, but it doesn't matter now as I'm so far along since not being involved in wars while alone on my two islands.

What I didn't try was my first contact being to sink one of their ships outside of their own borders, but I'd guess it works the same way -- first contact they know me, then sinking them they don't.

Daft is a good word for it.

Top Bottom