privateers... not that much secrecy

majk-iii

Eeh?
It seems to me that when i sink another civs boats with my pirates, they get mad at me... they dont declare war but they instantly change their attitude towards me. Even from polite to annoyed once. And i check it right away every time, the same turn.
<speak to civ-save game-attack-speak to civ>
Is this perhaps a bug or did firaxis mean to do this... i understand that sometimes its really easy to guess who's attacking, if your hiding behind other ships, attacking straight out of towns or if you're the only one with magnetism ...but i'm surprised that the AI can do this att all... especially when my pirates catches them alone out in the ocean.

It could just be a coincidence. Whenever you don't trade with the AI, it's additude toward you gets worse. Also, it could be that they get that additude toward everyone, because of the programmers needing to show their suspicion.

The AI knows that it was your privateer. The AI attitude towards you gets worse each time you use a privateer, they just won't actually declare war over it directly.

...another crazy thing about privateers is that I often see them come out of their port cities and within a move or two they attack my ships (as if I don't know who did it!!) - kinda lame

Well if you think about, IIRC, the most famous privateer, Sir Francis Drake, was well known to be in England's service. The other nations knew this, yet didn't declare war directly just because Drake happened to sink a ship, although they probably got quite annoyed with England. So put in that context, the way the privateers work in civ is fine by me, you can get away with attacking ennemy ships, but you end up ruining your reputation if you abuse it.

Originally posted by lbhhh
Well if you think about, IIRC, the most famous privateer, Sir Francis Drake, was well known to be in England's service. The other nations knew this, yet didn't declare war directly just because Drake happened to sink a ship, although they probably got quite annoyed with England. So put in that context, the way the privateers work in civ is fine by me, you can get away with attacking ennemy ships, but you end up ruining your reputation if you abuse it.

excellent point. I was going to say something similar when I read the first post.

Top Bottom