1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Problem installing BTS

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Carazycool, Aug 14, 2007.

1. Carazycool

Carazycool Warlord

An error message occurs when the InstallShield setup is about 50% loaded. It says that I should close all other applications, but no other applications are running. The InstallShield program then freezes and quits. I tried restarting my computer but the same thing happened every time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

edit:

This is the exact error message:

"An error (-5006:0x80070017) has occurred while running the setup. Please make sure you have finished any previous setup and closed other applications. If the error still occurs, please contact your vendor: Firaxis Games"

2. mjs0

mjs0 The 4th X

0x80070017 is a win 32 error code that means you have a CRC error.

There are a couple of schools of thought I have seen on this error, which occurs for many products not just CIV...I got this error installing an MS product!

1. Your disc is scratched or dirty
    2. Some people get this error code because certain CD/DVD drives are sensitive to some copy protection schemes

Regardless...the first thing to try is to install from a different drive, if you have another drive. (This worked for me!).
    If this doesn't work (or isn't possible) clean the disc and then try the install again.

Sorry, that's all I have.
    Martin.

3. Snoopaloop

Snoopaloop King

Does anyone else have any ideas how to fix this?

I know a couple people having the same problem..

4. MrWhereItsAt

MrWhereItsAt Warlord

Although I think the number of my error was different, it looks like what I have with several games that use Installshield. Am I right in thinking you are using Vista? Because of their (IMO) ridiculous secuity policy that, for a time, stopped me from even playing a music CD I put in the drive (how stupid is that?!), you may not have the permissions to do things like install some software even if you are the administrator.

The way around it is to install anything you need to when logged in as the built-in Administrator for Vista. Once installed, you can run all the software you need to in any login you want.

Here's a link to getting at the built-in Administrator account. http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9001970, and another, with pictures.

http://www.tweakvista.eu/show_tweak.php?tweak=170

I did the second one, and it worked perfectly for me. Now when I boot, I have the option of logging in as me, who, despite having Admin privileges, cannot install software or open MS Office documents (now THAT's screwy!), or the Administrator, and I can do anything I want. I installed BtS with the Admin account, then logged in again as me and played. Tell us if it works for you!

5. Carazycool

Carazycool Warlord

I do not have windows vista. I have windows XP.

I have tried everything I can think of and tried Martin's suggestions without any luck. I would like to try uninstalling Civ IV completely and then starting from scratch but now I can't locate my original Civ IV disc because I haven't used it in over a year, but I'm not even sure that would solve anything anyways.

I'm getting rather frustrated and not sure what else to try. Might it simply be a faulty disc? And if so, what is the best way to get a replacement?

Thanks for your help.
    Rob

6. Snoopaloop

Snoopaloop King

does anyone else have any ideas of how to solve this problem?

...bump

7. Tesla1886

Tesla1886 Chieftain

If you have access to another computer install it on that computer just to see if it installs ok. (rule out a bad CD)

I have taken cds and used dish or hand soap and water to clean them then dried them off with a terry cloth. Even a finger print or smudge on a cd can cause errors.

Check your system logs in event viewer, it may give you some in-site as to why the installation failed.
    The CD drive you are using is it a new drive or is an older one? (Could it be on the brink of going bad?)
    What Service pack are you running? (Upgrade to SP2)
    Have you updated Windows? (Download at least all the critical updates, I recommend leaving the drivers alone, go to your hardware manufactures website and download the drivers your self)

I did a google search for the error code that you gave and most of what google found pretained to vista. (which is also recommended to stay away from). Can you provide any more information?

8. Carazycool

Carazycool Warlord

I have two CD drives which I have never had a problem with before (4 years old each). I tried installing BTS with both but had the same problem. I bought the CD brand new and it looks completely clean (no scratches or smudges). I cleaned it just in case, but no luck.

I am going to try to uninstall all Civ IV applications and then reinstall using a friend's disc because I cannot find my original copy of vanilla Civ IV.

9. samiratou

samiratou Chieftain

If you're having the same problems on multiple drives you might have just gotten a defective disc. Have you tried contacting Firaxis or the store you got it from for an exchange?

10. Tesla1886

Tesla1886 Chieftain

I agree with samiratou to a point.

I would attempt to install on another computer before I did anything else. Their may be a problem with other hardware.

11. Carazycool

Carazycool Warlord

Just an update...

my friend's copy of BTS installed on my computer without a problem and now I can use my disc to play the game. There was some defect with my disc so that it could not install the game properly.