Problems with Civ 2 on XP

PS, About "Uninstalling"....

MS does not unistall most programs properly, and probably never will. When issues touch on system patches, video drivers (including Indeo), even seemingly innocent programs like the sick, twisted programs such as Adaptec CD-ROM burning software will cause problems such as you describe. They do not uninstall correctly and leave debris in your registry. You can actually unistall most by hand, if you really know what files to remove from your \Windows\System and \Windows\System32 directories, and can cut out the bad Registry settings manually.

If your problem is not identifiable with hardware or hardware driver issues, an incremental install from a fresh base installation will likely be the fasted and surest way. One thing is for sure, you will not be pleased when the exact cause is determined, LOL.

OK, that's helpful. It means you did not have any CD-R software installed, particularly anything from Adaptec.

When you have the info talked about in my earlier thread, it will be easier to use determine known open issues for your case. If it turns out some of your hardware has some unresolved issues, it will save you time of the troubleshooting process. I now strongly suspect an MS issue (duhhh...) based on your last post.

It's very weird. I can play Civ II for hours as long as nothing else is open and it never freezes. I'm slowly trying to have other programs open and see if they cause a problem. Right now it seems somewhat isolated to IE, Outlook, or the Modem. Since those three things seem to make it freeze.

The next thing I was planning on trying was to uninstall and re-install Office 2000.

It's very weird. I can play Civ II for hours as long as nothing else is open and it never freezes. I'm slowly trying to have other programs open and see if they cause a problem. Right now it seems somewhat isolated to IE, Outlook, or the Modem. Since those three things seem to make it freeze.

These observations are helpful. Have you had any other system halts or freezes in other programs? Are you using an internal modem, or external? What is the make and model, if internal? Did you install a 3rd party driver at any point?

Do you have a network card installed? What are the titles of components installed in your network (look in the Control Panel --> Network --> Configuration).

What are the bindings for your dial up adapter (CP --> Network --> Configuration, then click on the Dial Up Adapter, and select Properties, then chose the bindings tab and have a look)...

Top Bottom