1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

processors

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Technical Support' started by Shaolin, Oct 31, 2001.

1. Shaolin

Shaolin Chieftain

I have an old computer with only a 233MHz Intel Pentium processor with MMX. Civ 3 won't run on my computer. I was wondering if you guys could tell me how much it would cost to upgrade my processor. I barely know anything about computers, so please if you give me information try to keep it simple. Please hurry before i get to frustrated and take the game back.

2. Meneer Popken

Meneer Popken Chieftain

Newer processors don't fit on your motherboard, so you need a motherboard as well, and your old memory doesn't fit on the new motherboard, so you'll need new memory as well.

Memory (128MB) ~$15
    Motherboard ~$100-$125
    Processor ~$75-$100

And make sure everything fits together when you buy it :)

Also, if you buy an AMD set you might need a new powersupply.

3. Jay H

Jay H Chieftain

I was in your boat too although I have a 300Mhz PII, and it actually runs OK on Win2k on small worlds, I am awaiting an upgrade. Don't buy a new CPU, it's not worth it as your mobo wont support any of the newer CPUS that are worth buying. I just put together this system for $290 including $30 shipping from newegg.com:

Shuttle AK31A motherboard K7 Via Apollo KT266a $85
    Crucial 256MB 2100 DDR Ram $36 (oem)
    AMD T'bird 1.0gig/266Mhz FSB CPU (retail) $96 with HSF
    Enlight minitower with 300W PSU $47.

I am moving over my video card and Adaptec 2940U SCSI card and my USR 56k modem. The mobo has an onboard Audio chip so I might not need my old Soundblaster 32 on it.

So, I think it's a pretty good value now that AMD has Durons and XPs out, the t'bird line seems like a good price now.. and the RAM is so cheap, I'm kind of wondering if I should of gotten 512MB of RAM...

Jay

4. Shaolin

Shaolin Chieftain

I have already updated my ram it's at 160 mb, and thanks for the help.

5. t92300

t92300 Yip Thats Me

has any body tried playing civ3 on a over clocked intel 233mhz MMX processor

Shaolin what happened when you tried to play

thankx
    t92300

6. Shaolin

Shaolin Chieftain

It just wouldn't run. The installation was fine. But when I would double click on the shortcut the Civilization III screen would come up and then nothing. If you've heard any way to play the game with a 233MHz with MMX let me know.

7. t92300

t92300 Yip Thats Me

tryied overclocking

8. Ramon

Ramon Chieftain

There might be hope for you, :crazyeyes have you tried some things like using the latest DX or changing your display adapter to 1024*768@75Hz?

It's not like Civ3 detects what CPU you have and then shuts down if it's not fast enough, y'know!

Just don't give up that quick!

9. Shaolin

Shaolin Chieftain

At 800x600 it's at 75Hz, but when I change it to 1026x768 it goes down to 60Hz, How do you change that?

10. Shaolin

Shaolin Chieftain

I changed the settings to 1024x768, i tried to set the rfresh rate at 75hz but it's not compatible, but thanks for the ideas.

11. Shaolin

Shaolin Chieftain

Thanks for trying to help me out, but after playing around with everything, the game still won't run, and I don't have the money right now to buy a new processor. So the game will go back and I'll buy it later. It kinda feels like I've just been kicked in the balls, but thanks again for the help.

12. t92300

t92300 Yip Thats Me

Have you tried over clocking your 233mhz it might work

t92300

13. bonscott

bonscott Prince

The minimum requirements for the game are a PII-300mhz, Direct X 8 video card at 1024x768 in 16 bit color mode. So you shouldn't feel ripped off or anything, your PC isn't at the minimum. Also, when you see minimum requirements, I'd always double that to be safe.

14. protista

protista Chieftain

I think your problem may lie with the intro video (Bink) and resolution. There is a way to disable the introductory Bink video, I remember reading about that somewhere, that is not difficult to perform. I think it might be in the Civ ini files. If you can bypass the video, I am sure the game will run. Also, try lowering the video resolution, as mentioned in previous posts. Good luck with this! I had the same problem long ago with Ultima 9, and once I disabled the video, the program ran fine, albeit slowly. I have since upgraded to a PIII-733, but hopefully you will not have to do this to run this program.

15. Shaolin

Shaolin Chieftain

Thanks for the idea, but i already returned the game:cry: , so unless anyone else is having trouble, i suggest the monitors close this thread and save people time so they don't post any more replies.

16. CoolLizy

CoolLizy King

No, but I have played it on an underclocked 350 AMD (forgot to set them dang jumpers). It should run just fine in 233MMX mode from what I found, just turn off the music or face some serious problems! :eek:

17. KiyamvirMaar

KiyamvirMaar Chieftain

I have a Pentium 166mmx, with a Rage II+ graphics card and an old Compaq 140 14" monitor....

...and I have no problems with running the game on this spec. Yeah it's very slow, but I'm used to that!

:D

18. t92300

t92300 Yip Thats Me

:eek:
    Is this Civ3? Did you say 133Mhz mmx
    Could please tell me how

I might get civ3 if it would work on a 233Mhz mmx :D

t92300:)

19. KiyamvirMaar

KiyamvirMaar Chieftain

Actually it's a p166mmx, with 256mb ram - so that's probably why it runs.

It *is* slow - but playing on a Standard size map with 8 other civs isn't *too* bad....

So, it *is* possible, if you can put up with the delays :)