Procylon's Call to Power Project

For those experiencing difficulties due to early aggression, my recommendation would be to just build a lot of warriors. With the generous production and gold, it is not difficult to build and maintain a decent fighting force without rushing a tech for spearmen, archers, or horsemen.

The AI will still have a numerical advantage, but the human player is better able to take advantage of terrain, promotions, and flanking bonuses.

That said, if you start near Mongolia, do get spearmen.

Used Yanikin files and removing the txt extension worked fine for me .. playing the V7 mod at this point. Gotta say big difference from V5, could not expand as fast and red face killing me in early game .. also food and money a lot harder to have in early game so growing cities harder (get to point were growth is like .25 food or zero). So until Industrial era hit a wall for growth then start again after couple techs. Oh as to tech I think Industrial to modern needs a bit more meat, seems like i blew through Industrial in about 20 game turns. At this point some of the cost to build seem a tad to high to me .. i'll take better notes on 2nd game, playing this time just to get a feel for the mechanics and flow. So far this is a really nice mod ... thanx for work.

The Circus Maximus wonder has the Nazca Lines dds file referenced so the wrong splash screen is shown. Not sure if the OCEAN HABITAT PROTOTYPE wonder should be coast only but it can be build in a land-locked city.

Have to say i'm enjoying the mod, thanks! However every time i go to load a game it gives me a runtime error message and a CTD...any ideas?

Used Yanikin files and removing the txt extension worked fine for me .. playing the V7 mod at this point. Gotta say big difference from V5, could not expand as fast and red face killing me in early game .. also food and money a lot harder to have in early game so growing cities harder (get to point were growth is like .25 food or zero). So until Industrial era hit a wall for growth then start again after couple techs. Oh as to tech I think Industrial to modern needs a bit more meat, seems like i blew through Industrial in about 20 game turns. At this point some of the cost to build seem a tad to high to me .. i'll take better notes on 2nd game, playing this time just to get a feel for the mechanics and flow. So far this is a really nice mod ... thanx for work.

Good to see you guys enjoying it again. :)

I tried to balance the industrial buildings so that they are expensive to get off the ground but once you do they give you a real industrial revolution feel. How is that going?

You mean you beelined to modern in 20 turns, or you had a significant portion of industrial techs researched in 20? Of course, industrial didn't exactly last very long, but I can try and cut out excessive beelining if it is too quick.

How is the AI handling tech? Do they fall behind at renaissance/industrial(as they do in previous versions) or are they managing to keep up?

The Circus Maximus wonder has the Nazca Lines dds file referenced so the wrong splash screen is shown. Not sure if the OCEAN HABITAT PROTOTYPE wonder should be coast only but it can be build in a land-locked city.

I will be sure to take a look at these, thanks for the report. :) I was sure that I added a line for coast only to the habitat, but maybe not.

Have to say i'm enjoying the mod, thanks! However every time i go to load a game it gives me a runtime error message and a CTD...any ideas?

Playing on V7? Can you check to see if there are any <ID> lines in the units or unitclasses xml's? If you are good in that area, we will have to do some troubleshooting to see where this problem is coming from. I don't remember anyone reporting CTD problems with loadgame though, just that you couldn't.

Production bldgs cost to me is Ok .. for what you get makes sense, but for the others seems like overkill (average to bld a monument is like 17 turns .. don't know if can reduce cost with time but for some of the early buildings is like a long long long time). Took about 20 turns (no beeline) to get modern, hadn't even built more than 1 or 2 units before they were outdated with modern ones. Oh .. and I got a tank unit in the renaissance period through unit upgrades from ruins. Gotta say that that was a surprise to me and a couple target cities shortly tereafter.
AI seems to be doing Ok with tech most are in the Industrial or close to moving into it, so while not staying with me many are not that far behind.

Note if want to flesh out the techs for Industrial and erlier might look at RnR in Civ3 .. that mod had plenty in this period versus a couple.

The slave already has the engineer production rush and that is what is causing the problem, so that would be pointless.

Also, I can't give it a % production rush. It is a base rush value and a multiplier value which I believe works off the number of turns played.

If I can figure out a way to implement it without the production bug and AI problems, I will. :)

Sorry, to be clear, I meant 25% of what the worker costs to produce. So 50(fifty) production if the worker costs 200(may want to tweak as low as 10% or as high as 50%). The AI's problem with the slave may be the flavor of a new non-combat unit it doesn't build the right amount of. It shouldn't be a problem with a modified worker, and the AI already over builds workers, imo. I am balance testing on king/marathon, with V7 fixed and the slave removed, the full report will be coming in a day or two. So far the early game is tough, but I'm not out of the game yet(300ish turns).

Here is a pic with a standard defensive formation around a vulnerable city. Cities with rivers and mountains slowing or blocking the enemy are the absolute best positions(with a one hex pass best of the best).

As you can see, even scouts can survive spearmen when you hedgehog disciplined troops around a great general. With no nearby mountains or major rivers, my cities had to be coastal, the next most defensible. In the ensuing fight I lost a horse, warrior, and scout, but cost the enemy 2 to 3 times those casualties, plus razing a nearby city.

In this example, the enemy did not break through to threaten the city, but had they, I would have retreated wounded troops down the road towards the capital, and used the fleet of triremes, and garrisoned archer to kill invaders quickly(4 triremes, 1 horse archer, and one city for 6 total ranged attacks) even if all melee units die and/or retreat the archery could kill 2 units a turn.

I hope others will post pics of their own tactics and major battles, something this mod adds that vanilla lacks.

Attachments

• tactics.jpg
    tactics.jpg
    309.5 KB · Views: 280

I tried to balance the industrial buildings so that they are expensive to get off the ground but once you do they give you a real industrial revolution feel. How is that going?

I know this doesn't all apply to me, but I will respond were I think it matters. Maybe it was just warlord for me. I had so much gold that I just bought a lot of the industrial buildings. Once bought I could just make what I wanted. I was getting wonders in ~6 or less turns on standard. I do not know if that is what you want.

You mean you beelined to modern in 20 turns, or you had a significant portion of industrial techs researched in 20? Of course, industrial didn't exactly last very long, but I can try and cut out excessive beelining if it is too quick.

How is the AI handling tech? Do they fall behind at renaissance/industrial(as they do in previous versions) or are they managing to keep up?

For my game, You can watch the footage. Due to my warmongering and being I gain culture from kills I kept getting policies.

I saved one and at 7:22 in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esXfhe2jfuo Went real deep into industrial. Now I did find out that I missed biology so couldn't build tanks; but if I had saved 2 GS I could have gone to modern quick. I don't know if there would have been an advantage. I was so far ahead on tech at this point (with neighbors) it isn't funny anymore.

It would be easy to get that policy for the two free techs (i did) and save it for a boom to something. Again; tanks need oil... blah blah blah.. there is a moment in video of, ah wait.. were is my oil?

I will be sure to take a look at these, thanks for the report. :) I was sure that I added a line for coast only to the habitat, but maybe not.

Playing on V7? Can you check to see if there are any <ID> lines in the units or unitclasses xml's? If you are good in that area, we will have to do some troubleshooting to see where this problem is coming from. I don't remember anyone reporting CTD problems with loadgame though, just that you couldn't.

I think someone said that ID's caused a CTD.

Bug note:
I don't know if it is the Mods used, or something else. In this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOIQBxKC-pM at ~2:56 you notice some of the yield icons do not show up.

Hmmm...well turns out i was playing on V5, updated to V7 and will try loading this evening, wlll advise if this sorts it out.

In the buildings xml, the harbor entry has updates to food twice, but no gold, so it only gives one food and one production to water tiles. I changed it in my version.

Hmmm...well turns out i was playing on V5, updated to V7 and will try loading this evening, wlll advise if this sorts it out.

:rolleyes: sheesh....i was trying to load the save game in single player rather than loading it from within 'Mods'...all sorted

One other thing though, I notice that from the start of the game some nano tech wonder shows up from the start 'Warp detection array' or something like that

:rolleyes: sheesh....i was trying to load the save game in single player rather than loading it from within 'Mods'...all sorted

One other thing though, I notice that from the start of the game some nano tech wonder shows up from the start 'Warp detection array' or something like that

Are you using any other mods that mess with eras or techs? Those related files still use manual IDs in this mod which causes many problems.

I was getting the nano techs also ... only proc loaded, what I did was go and delete the earlier versions of proc in the mod folder (v5/v6, when installed did so into separate folders for each version) and it went away for me. No idea if will work for others but seems like if have the other versions still in the mod section the game gets confused. Again no idea only stating that it worked for me.

Also an observation .. seems like an age is missing between classical and midE. Jump right into knights and all so fast aas set now. Just a view.

No worries, I did that before. Civ IV your saves would show up. It would prompt you to tell you you would load a mod.

Production bldgs cost to me is Ok .. for what you get makes sense, but for the others seems like overkill (average to bld a monument is like 17 turns .. don't know if can reduce cost with time but for some of the early buildings is like a long long long time). Took about 20 turns (no beeline) to get modern, hadn't even built more than 1 or 2 units before they were outdated with modern ones. Oh .. and I got a tank unit in the renaissance period through unit upgrades from ruins. Gotta say that that was a surprise to me and a couple target cities shortly tereafter.
AI seems to be doing Ok with tech most are in the Industrial or close to moving into it, so while not staying with me many are not that far behind.

Note if want to flesh out the techs for Industrial and erlier might look at RnR in Civ3 .. that mod had plenty in this period versus a couple.

17 turns for a monument on marathon? It is usually 6-9 on standard speed which seems about right for turn 1.

Can you give more specifics? Difficulty, gamespeed, map size, etc? :)

Industrial is 4 techs wide in this mod, which is 1 tech wider than standard. There really isn't much room to add more techs, but perhaps I can work the pipes a bit.

Sorry, to be clear, I meant 25% of what the worker costs to produce. So 50(fifty) production if the worker costs 200(may want to tweak as low as 10% or as high as 50%). The AI's problem with the slave may be the flavor of a new non-combat unit it doesn't build the right amount of. It shouldn't be a problem with a modified worker, and the AI already over builds workers, imo. I am balance testing on king/marathon, with V7 fixed and the slave removed, the full report will be coming in a day or two. So far the early game is tough, but I'm not out of the game yet(300ish turns).

Might not be a bad route, but probably only a route I would take if I were to implement a whole new line of workers that stretches to the future eras. I will keep this in mind for later. :)

Here is a pic with a standard defensive formation around a vulnerable city. Cities with rivers and mountains slowing or blocking the enemy are the absolute best positions(with a one hex pass best of the best).

I wish I had taken screens of some of my city setups. Out of the past 5-7 test games I have played, I have only lost 2 cities despite having an average of 3-5 units when the AI declared war on me. And of course the AI doesn't declare war until it's army is at your doorstep(one of it's few good points).

I hear the upcoming patch with make a couple interesting AI adjustments, so we will see how that affects things.

I added files from FIX v7 and not working It`s the same error when create new game ;/

Can you check and see if the fix files have .txt at the end of their file name? If so, delete this so that .xml is at the end.

I am not sure why this has been added, as the zip file I used does not show this problem.

I had so much gold that I just bought a lot of the industrial buildings. Once bought I could just make what I wanted. I was getting wonders in ~6 or less turns on standard. I do not know if that is what you want.

Do you have any examples of how much gold you had, how much gold per turn, and how much you were paying for the average industrial building? I had increased these things quite significantly so I could use some more specific examples of where it is at.

I don't know if there would have been an advantage. I was so far ahead on tech at this point (with neighbors) it isn't funny anymore.

Can you give me more info than this? I can't really get a picture of what is wrong with blanket statements like this.

It would be easy to get that policy for the two free techs (i did) and save it for a boom to something. Again; tanks need oil... blah blah blah.. there is a moment in video of, ah wait.. were is my oil?

Sounds like I will have to take a look and see if I can tie biology to combustion in some way.

with fix 7, no burial tomb (nor temple) playing egyptian

I wonder if I forgot to move the tomb onto mysticism. Can you check and see if the tomb is found on another tech?

In the buildings xml, the harbor entry has updates to food twice, but no gold, so it only gives one food and one production to water tiles. I changed it in my version.

Really? I will see if I can correct this for when I upload the final V7 to the hub. :)

Anyone else see this? I know that the project shows up on the correct tech but I haven't looked to see if it is produceable at turn 1.

I was getting the nano techs also ... only proc loaded, what I did was go and delete the earlier versions of proc in the mod folder (v5/v6, when installed did so into separate folders for each version) and it went away for me. No idea if will work for others but seems like if have the other versions still in the mod section the game gets confused. Again no idea only stating that it worked for me.

I have seen this a lot with this mod. I do not know if other mods have this problem. For some reason, prior versions of this mod somehow interfere with new versions. I don't know how this happens, and how it manifests seems pretty random.

All I can do is advise people to delete/archive(in case of a corrupt/bugged version) all older versions of this mod before updating to the newest.

Also an observation .. seems like an age is missing between classical and midE. Jump right into knights and all so fast aas set now. Just a view.

There isn't really an age missing, but I am looking into expanding ancient and classical so that they are at least 3 techs wide. Maybe even 4. If I do that, I will also epxand medieval to 4 wide. Will take a lot of thought and even more balancing though. This is a longterm goal.

Top Bottom