Production overflow

How does it exactly work right now ?

With the 100% production boost card and my nations special ability, it turns out my city has 102 production towards producing ships.

I want to produce viking longships and quadriremes. They cost 65 and 120 production respectively.

When i que up just quadriremes, the first one takes 2 turns, the second one gets the overflow from the first one and takes 1 turn. Thats all normal.
You would expect however the third one to also take 1 turn. In fact, i would expect to produce 5 boats in 6 turns. (5 boats cost 600, 6 turns = 612 production). This is however not the case, after benefiting from the overflow once, the next turn, the city starts with 0 production. So its 2 turns, 1 turn, 2 turns, 1 turn, 2 turns, 1 turn.

So it seems the overflow does not work if you had overflow last turn. I figured then it should be possible to make a longship in 1, use the overflow to produce a quadrireme in 1, then without overflow start a longship again and keep alternating like this producing them all in 1 turn each. It didn't however turn out to work.

Anyone know the exact mechanics ?

We know that chopping overflow bug has been fixed in GS, this is a great news. However we made some experiments with speed-up policies + chop overflow in GS, and found that it was not the same as previously thoughts. It was assumed as "production bonuses no longer apply to production going into overflow" or "no more bonus on overflow", but actually it's a lot more complicated.

The following is our results. If you are interested, you can also do some experiments, welcome to point out any omissions and mistakes.

Define 3 variables
- the production needed to complete the project (X)
- the chop/city-per-turn production (Y)
- the production modifier bonus (A)
So Y is the basic production part, A*Y is the bonus production part.
For example, assume we are training an archer with Agoge (+50% speed so A = 0.5), the current production panel shows 35/60, then X = 60 - 35 = 25. Now we chop and get Y = 30 production, so with +50% policy we should get bonus production A*Y = 15.
  • If X < Y, project complete, we get only Y, overflow = Y - X, The bonus part A*Y will be totally wasted.
    As the example above, if panel shows 50/60, chop 30 with Agoge, archer will complete and we get 20 prod overflow.
  • If X [Y, Y + A*Y], project complete with zero overflow, we only get X. The bonus part A*Y will be more or less wasted.
    As the example above, if panel shows 25/60, chop 30 with Agoge, archer will complete and we get 0 prod overflow.
  • If X > Y + A*Y, project incomplete, and we get full base and bonus part Y + A*Y.
    As the example above, if panel shows 10/60, chop 30 with Agoge, then archer will not complete and panel shows 55/60.
And some other tips:
  • Not only chop, city production yield per turn also follows this mechanism.
    As the example above, if panel shows 0/60 at the beginning, when your city yields >40 production, +50% policy will actually between +0%~+50%, which is less efficient; if your city yields >60 production, you don't need Agoge for an archer, which is fully waste.
  • Overflow from previous build can be speed up now, it will add to next Y, whatever chop or city production yield per turn.
    As the example above, if we get 20 prod overflow from previous chop, this turn city yields 6 prod with Agoge, then the next archer will get (20+6) as Y, in next turn panel shows 39/60. But if you immediately chop 30 again with Agoge, then the next archer will get (20+30) as Y, archer will also completed and no overflow.
Of course, this mechanism is better than that overflow = (1 + A)Y - X in RF and Vanilla, but still need a lot of calculations to avoid waste. I personally think overflow = ((1 + A)Y - X) / (1 + A) was better, which can make us not to worry about waste, no need to calculate anything, much more friendly to casual players.

You might want to check out the whole thread... Interesting stuff there... ;)
Basically it works as intended. And I think it's not a bad solution. 5 longships out of 6 turns in 1 City is just OP...

Hey, its my only city for this game ! It should produce units in 1 turn really.

Where is that threat ? Do you have a link to it ?

I think the system is a bit screwed up because i am building ship after ship, so i don't see why the game should not give me the overflow of the bonus production on the next project which also has the same bonus. I understand they did this to prevent abuse or multiplication of bonusses, but it seems to not be very well thought out imo.

Last edited:
Hey, its my only city for this game ! It should produce units in 1 turn really.

Where is that threat ? Do you have a link to it ?

I think the system is a bit screwed up because i am building ship after ship, so i don't see why the game should not give me the overflow of the bonus production on the next project which also has the same bonus. I understand they did this to prevent abuse or multiplication of bonusses, but it seems to not be very well thought out imo.
I'm on mobile, but if you click on the arrow on the top of the quote box, you should get there... But here it is in all clear: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/is-chopping-overflow-overcorrected.642113/#post-15372261

Top Bottom