Project Zomboid - retro zombie survival RPG

SuperJay

Bending Space and Time
My brother emailed me about this indie game project called Project Zomboid that was apparently mentioned in CAD recently. The game's currently pre-alpha, but you can pay like $5-10 to subscribe and play the current version as its being developed (and eventually you'll own the full game).

It sounds like a pretty dark game with a bleak outlook - you are not going to "win" the zombie apolcalypse, it's merely a question of how long before you die... because you WILL die.

Website here: http://projectzomboid.com/blog/

Here's the TLDR description from the devs:

Project Zomboid is a Zombie Survival RPG. Here are some of its planned features:

◦Retro-isometric style with plenty of zombie insides thrown in for good measure.

◦A massive city and the surrounding areas to traverse, explore and loot.

◦Open-ended sandbox world – survival is your only goal, and we’re sorry to tell you… you WILL die eventually.

◦Get infected. How will you spend your final days? Will you have a heroic moment of self-sacrifice, or end up chewing your best friend’s throat out?

◦Meet other survivors who you can join forces with, trade with, undertake missions for, or fight with for resources.

◦Loot, salvage, and build what you need to survive the apocalypse, from food and medical supplies, to weapons, even just booze to help get you through the nights.

◦Advanced item crafting allows you to use looted items to build weapons, traps, defenses, and many other things to help you survive.

◦Character progression. Learn skills and perks to help your character face the challenges of survival.

◦Starvation, illness, loneliness, depression, alcoholism, drug addiction, suicide, insanity, trust issues. There’s more to zombie survival than shooting zombie heads off.

◦Join your friends and survive the apocalypse together in co-op multiplayer.

◦The world changes the longer you survive; power plants fail, plunging the city into darkness and making batteries and tinned food prized commodities. The army rolls into the streets to perform ‘clean up operations’ and other gamechanging events occur the longer you survive.

◦Play in your browser, or stand-alone, on PC, Mac and Linux.

•It will be released Minecraft style, where there will be continual updates adding new features, weapons, game-play and locations.

•You technically cannot ‘pre-order’ or purchase the game, but we do give it away as a free gift when you buy our other games! (There are reasons why it has to be this way. Read our blog for an insight)

•It is available here alongside aforementioned games, and there will be a tech demo coming soon.

•The tech demo will just show a fraction of the planned features and is merely a taste of what is to come. We will continue developing after this point, feasibly for years and years, improving and expanding the game.

•We have an active community that helps drive development, which can be found here.

Everybody glomping onto the Minecraft wandbagon. Also actually DO mention minecraft to ensure hundreds of thousands of sales just by virtue of having mentionned it, like Terraria.

Anyway, if it is a good game it is a good game. I just become cynical the moment everybody starts to jump on a specific bandwagon. You know the quality level of the releases attempting the same thing will start dropping pretty soon and we'll go from a handful of pearls to finding pearls in a sea of turds.

Still, count me as interested...

So every independent game developer is just "jumping on the Minecraft bandwagon?" Really?

There were indie games before Minecraft, there will be indie games after Minecraft - that one's just a really compelling success story. Probably a big motivation to other indie developers, a reminder that yes, this CAN happen, you CAN succeed even without major backing from a publisher or dev studio. I have trouble seeing how that's a bad thing.

You're right. Of course.

Although the comparison goes a little over it being indie, it's open-ended sandbox world with crafting. And then it mentions Minecraft. Like Terraria. Although it's a lot less like Minecraft than Terraria. We're "procedurally-generated world" away from Minecraft that is, hehe. Although maybe the city itself will be procedurally generated?

I don't think "open world sandbox game with crafting" automatically equals Minecraft rip-off. ;) Even if you only read the OP, it's clear that this game is completely unlike Minecraft in terms of the game content. You know, the whole "zombie survival RPG" part!

What IS like Minecraft is the financing & development model - in that you can pay a very modest amount to play the game as it's being developed, and you'll then get free updates to the game for its entire lifetime - up to initial release and beyond. But Minecraft didn't invent that model, it's just a recent standout example of it working successfully.

It's a good model for indie developers because it helps cover development costs as they're incurred rather than the indie devs basically investing their life savings, maxing credit cards, taking out loans etc just to get the game released, only to find out nobody really likes it. It also actively includes the players in the dev process, so the devs get a ton of feedback from free volunteer testers who are interested in helping make the best game possible.

Its too bad the devs have been incompetent at handling the model. Problems with google checkout? Lets use paypal! Same problem happens, and they go back to google checkout... *facepalms*

At least other games like Minecraft and Mount&Blade actually gave you a product, even if it was just the beta.

You do get to play the Zomboid game when you purchase a lifetime license. They've also changed their ordering system so you now purchase another game of theirs for $5 and that order includes access to Zomboid and lifetime updates for that game, specifically because they had to have a game to sell. It's a dumb workaround to have to use, but it gets the game out.

It's an interesting concept for a game. I just recently re-read Richard Matheson's classic I Am Legend novel and it feels like Project Zomboid is a direct descendent of that book. I love that it's not a fast-paced shoot-em-up-and-win kind of zombie game, but rather a slow, gradual descent into horror. (Seriously, in the very opening of the game, you have the option to smother your own wife so her broken leg doesn't slow you down. That's bleak.)

It has worlds of potential, for sure. Even if I don't end up playing it much, I'm going to kick down five bucks to these guys just to support independent development.

Replace "wife" by "your own kid" and NOW you have bleak ;) (still bitter about having no kids beat up in Fallout)

No but seriously, I think it'd be nice to have various "beginning" stories. Wouldn't always have to be you and your wife in a room, but other situations maybe.

They released a pre-alpha demo you can download and play for free. I've only played for a little bit but so far I've lit myself on fire and burned to death (remember to turn your stoves off!), been shot in the head with a shotgun, and been devoured by a hungry horde in a valiant attempt to save others in my safehouse.
In the last one I lead the zombies into another house, hoping to burn it down with them inside, but locked myself in a closet and then tried to hammer my way through the horde after they battered the door down. Went down swinging!

The developers also finally did something right, they released the demo as a torrent. They fonud out that the pirated copy of the game was downloading itself every time it was run (or osmething like that) from the cloud, costing them bandwidth and hence money every time a pirated copy was run.

I honestly don't think this game is meant to succeed considering its developer's completely failure of making money.

I hereby issue an open challenge to all competitors!

My current record is 9 Days and 9 hours, beat that.

Spoiler :
Also, if anyone recommends giving your wife an extra pillow, don't.

Its too bad the devs have been incompetent at handling the model. Problems with google checkout? Lets use paypal! Same problem happens, and they go back to google checkout... *facepalms*

At least other games like Minecraft and Mount&Blade actually gave you a product, even if it was just the beta.

Go on. I'd like to know what other choice we had at the time? ;) FYI we have to have had a business account for a year to qualify for merchant banking to handle proper credit card transactions, so without that as an option what could we have used? Even having checkout and no paypal has cost us a TON of sales because generally PayPal is the only one largely used by customers, with Checkout in second. We're looking into other options but seriously, do you not think we looked into any possible alternative we could have used? All these online merchants share similar TOS capable of biting us in the ass, and very few have the customer reach to deal with something like this.

Thanks everyone else for the lovely comments <3

I honestly don't think this game is meant to succeed considering its developer's completely failure of making money.

No one said we hadn't made money. :p 13,926 registered users, if that's any indication. This piracy issue aside since release has been wonderful.

Spoiler :
No, giving your wife an extra pillow is the right thing to do.

Go on. I'd like to know what other choice we had at the time? ;)
Have a product to give to customers (you may have had it at the third time, I don't know as I stopped caring). It looked pretty foolish when I saw the third post about Zomboid that I had seen on another side which was them getting screwed over for a 3rd time for the same reason as the last too.

Even having checkout and no paypal has cost us a TON of sales because generally PayPal is the only one largely used by customers, with Checkout in second.
:lol: That's rather unfortunate lazyness on their part. Unless Google Checkout is complicated to sign up for (I don't recall having any problems signing up for PayPal and I rarely use that account). If they really wanted to buy your game I'm sure they would have.

No one said we hadn't made money. :p 13,926 registered users, if that's any indication. This piracy issue aside since release has been wonderful.
You have had huge problems trying to get that money is what I was saying.

Despite all that, I still wouldn't buy it anyway, the control scheme looks horrendous and all I ever read (outside of this one thread) is the developers complaining. The control scheme looks awkward at best and I don't really want to have to be online to play an alpha.

Have a product to give to customers (you may have had it at the third time, I don't know as I stopped caring). It looked pretty foolish when I saw the third post about Zomboid that I had seen on another side which was them getting screwed over for a 3rd time for the same reason as the last too.

As I say, the most frustrating thing about all this is everyone has an opinion and just rashly beats out the opinion that we're obviously 'foolish' without knowing anything of the situation. We put Checkout back on only when we knew it would be safe to. Unless you yourself have been in the business of selling an indie game over the internet then can you possibly imagine a scenario where you're not as informed as you think you are?

:lol: That's rather unfortunate lazyness on their part. Unless Google Checkout is complicated to sign up for (I don't recall having any problems signing up for PayPal and I rarely use that account). If they really wanted to buy your game I'm sure they would have.

Checkout requires a credit card for one, and is also an issue for people in certain countries. Regardless of the reason, PayPal have sellers over a barrel because it's so popular as to make any other means massively detrimental to sales compared to using it. You can assume and theorise and pass judgement but unless you've got numbers, sale counts, and 100 emails in your inbox every day saying 'why no PayPal?' then you probably are not in a position to give advice on the situation. Sorry.

You have had huge problems trying to get that money is what I was saying.h.

Despite all that, I still wouldn't buy it anyway, the control scheme looks horrendous and all I ever read (outside of this one thread) is the developers complaining. The control scheme looks awkward at best and I don't really want to have to be online to play an alpha.

You say we had huge problems then casually and harshly criticise the game we've poured heart and soul into directly to me in the same sentence as saying 'all we do is complain' (all you have done in this thread, FYI). I find this quite funny. Also we just posted on our blog important info about what was happening with the game. Should we not report to our customers on what is happening on our blog? Should we have sang, danced and be merry when we were having a bad time of it? Besides we've shown plenty of joy and love around the internet and on our blog so if you've not seen it then you've got a pretty lop sided view of it.

I think you're confusing a string of misfortune and keeping the community informed with a string of complaining, tbh. And the game is playable offline, FYI.

As I say, the most frustrating thing about all this is everyone has an opinion and just rashly beats out the opinion that we're obviously 'foolish' without knowing anything of the situation. We put Checkout back on only when we knew it would be safe to. Unless you yourself have been in the business of selling an indie game over the internet then can you possibly imagine a scenario where you're not as informed as you think you are?
I'll admit that I read little about what happened, but it didn't really inspire me to read anything more about the latest fad indie game to reach the front page as they seem to be a dime a dozen these days. Sorry about the incompetent remark.

Checkout requires a credit card for one, and is also an issue for people in certain countries.
Good to know, thanks.

You say we had huge problems then casually and harshly criticise the game we've poured heart and soul into directly to me in the same sentence as saying 'all we do is complain'. I find this quite funny. Also we just posted on our blog important info about what was happening with the game. Should we not report to our customers on what is happening on our blog? Should we have sang, danced and be merry when we were having a bad time of it?
Harshly criticize your game? I said the control scheme looks awkward. If I was being harsh I think there would be a lot more I could find to complain about if I cared to (which I don't, and I realize it is in alpha and has a long ways to go).

I guess I could have been clearer, but all I've seen is Project Zomboid is in trouble (again)! I haven't read your blog or much on it because, as I said, indie games are a dime a dozen these days and I didn't really care. If you guys are still around in several months (which if you're pouring your heart and soul into then it probably will be) maybe I'll check it out (it looks promising). In the mean time I wish you goodluck!

And the game is playable offline, FYI.
Ah well that's good, I saw a post about how to disable the offline requirement for it and assumed it required it.

Stupid question: will this be an online-only game ?

Cool stuff :) sorry to be at logger heads about all that, really just wanted to come on the thread and say thanks and as usual I get easily drawn into this kinda thing. :D
You handled yourself extremely well :) Sorry for being harsh.

Top Bottom