Prolonging Defensive Wars

Favorius

I am not a Chief!
Do you reject AI peace offers and continue a defensive war when you have a strong defensive position and cripple AI by killing its units and making them suffer war weariness? Is this a viable tactic? What are your experiences?

Sometimes. If I'm close to getting a General, or if I'm gaining a lot of experience and not losing units, I'll just prolong the war because it's not a loss for me. If the AI has a defensive pact, this might be the best time to push without drawing others into a war.

Where I draw the line is when I feel like I'm going to lose units. I've sometimes made peace because I got one of my highly promoted units in a pickle and I want to save it.

Or when the AI starts rolling out higher-tech units (like if the AI starts rolling Knights and you still have Spears, peace is probably a good idea). I don't want to risk it.

Do you reject AI peace offers and continue a defensive war when you have a strong defensive position and cripple AI by killing its units and making them suffer war weariness? Is this a viable tactic? What are your experiences?

I think it's pretty tough to rack up high, disproportionate WW on your opponent in a defensive war. You can kill his units, sure, but if you're staying defensive then you're unlikely to be doing much tile improvement or trade route pillaging to supplement it, let alone city capping. Though if the effects of WW are minimal to your empire because your happiness and unit cap are in safe ranges then it might still be worthwhile to continue the defensive war anyway and make your opponent suffer.

the problem i have is if i reject their peace, all the other civs keep calling me "oh hi bloodthirsty one" and hate me and call me warmonger, even if my enemy started the war?? i'm literally the good guy but all the other civs hate me for prolonging the war...

the problem i have is if i reject their peace, all the other civs keep calling me "oh hi bloodthirsty one" and hate me and call me warmonger, even if my enemy started the war?? i'm literally the good guy but all the other civs hate me for prolonging the war...

From what i understand, being considered a warmonger is just a function of the cities you've conquered. It has nothing to do with war length or who started the war.

But refusing to peace out does not, am I right?
i dunno, whenever i try talking to someone they go "oh hi bloodthirsty one" and "oh it's the warmonger" and stuff like that, go from FRIENDLY to GUARDED

even though the ai started the war, all i did was reject and prolong?

i've noticed it usually starts to happen about the third time you reject peace

They could've been DECEPTIVE instead of FRIENDLY, and changed their attitude to GUARDED after something else happened.

Top Bottom