Promotions

xmen510

Emperor
This thread is for the discussions of the Promotions we are putting in the game. I will start with a small list and we can add/remove as the discussion progresses.

Spoiler :
Promotions:

Amphibious
Accuracy
Barrage I
Barrage II
Barrage III
Blitz
Charge
City Garrison I
City Garrison II
City Garisson III
City Raider I
City Raider II
City Raider III
Combat I
Combat II
Combat III
Combat IV
Combat V
Commando
Cover
Drill I
Drill II
Drill III
Drill IV
Flanking I
Flanking II
Formation
Guerilla I
Guerilla II
March
Medic I
Medic II
Mobility
Navigation I
Navigation II
Sentry
Shock
Woodsman I
Woodsman II

Unique Promotions:

Gained upon Defeat of Shelob: Spider Hunter I: +50% vs. Spider Units.
Gained upon Defeat of Ungoliant: Spider Hunter II: +100% vs. Spider Units.
Gained upon Defeat of Carcharoth: Warg Hunter: +100% vs. Warg & Wolf Units.
Gained upon Defeat of Smaug: Dragon Hunter: +100% vs. Dragons.

Resource Based Promotions:

Copper: +1 Attack/Defence
Iron: +2 Attack/Defence
Mithril: +3 Attack, +4 Defence

Civ Specific Promotions:

Quendi:

Noldor: House of Fingolfin:
- March II

Noldor: House of Feanor:
- Fanatacism

Sindar:
- Woodsman III

Teleri:
- Extra Cargo Space
- Naval Mobility (Requires Mobility I)

Vanyar:
- Medic III

Men:

Numenor:
- Extra Cargo Space
- Naval Combat (Requires Combat I)

Arnor:
- Woodsman III

Gondor:
- City Garrison IV

Edain:
- March II

Rohan:
- Flanking III
- Mobility II

Northmen:
- Amphibious II (1 First Strike across water)

Dunlending:
- Raider I
- Raider II

Isengard:
- March II
- Blitz II

Haradrim:
- Mumak Mobility (Requires Mobility I)

Easterling:
- Chariot Mobility (Requries Mobility I)
- Formation II

Angmar:
- Accuracy II

Shadow: Mordor:
- Hell Terrain Defence

Shadow: Angband:
- Hell Terrain Defence

Khazad:

Longbeards:
- Guerilla III

Broadbeams & Firebeards:
- Guerilla III

Racial Promotions:

Ringwraith/Nazgul:
- Fear
- Flight (When upgraded to Nazgul)

Quendi:
- Elven Sight (+1 Visibilty Range)

Khazad:
- Dwarven Endurance (+1 Movement)

Dragon:
- Fire Drake: Fire Breathing
- Flying Dragon: Fire Breathing, Flight

Orc:
- Will of Darkness (+2 Movement in Shadow Terrain)

Ent:
- Nature Movement (+2 Movement in Forest Terrain)

* Note: Remove anything specifically related to Guns of course.

Those are good. I think some civs deserve Unique Promotions, for example Rohan:
Flanking III
Mobility II
or Sindar:
Woodsman III

Hmm, let me think up some more...

Quendi:

Noldor: House of Fingolfin: no ideas
Noldor: House of Fëanor: Fanaticism(?): bonus to attacking units equipped with Silmarilli or bonus to attacking units from civs that possess Silmarilli
Teleri: Naval Mobility (reqs Mobility I)
Sindar: Woodsman III
Vanyar: ???

Good Men:

Númenor: Naval Combat (reqs Combat [number])
Arnor: ???
Gondor: City Garrison IV
Edain: ???

Neutral Men:

Rohirrim: Flanking III, Cavalry Mobility (reqs Mobility I)
Northmen: .....?
Dunlending: Raider: Gold from combat victories
Isengard: either March II or Blitz II

Evil Men:

Haradrim: M^umak Mobility (reqs Mobility I, sorry my keyboard's screwy and I can't type diacritics fast right now)
Easterling: Chariot Mobility (reqs Mobility I), Formation II (if that's the anti-cavalry one)
Angmar: IDK

Shadow:

Mordor: ?
Angband: ? something with Hell Terrain defense?

Khazâd:

Longbeard: Guerrilla III (that's the one with hill defense right?)
Broadbeams & Firebeards: Guerrilla III

I like the basic list but I'm wondering why we have these civ specific promos. For example the movement for the teleri ships. Can't we just make the ships have more movement? Also, maybe we should do the race specific promos first before looking at the civ specific ones to see if we still miss promos that we want.

Race promos include:
  • Quendi
  • Dragon
  • Orc
  • Dwarf
  • Beast/Creature
  • Ent
  • Animal??
This list is not exhaustive, it is just what I can think of now on the spot.

Good point. It is really just one promo per race (that does some stuff like unit graphics and enables/disables a couple of other promos), so we just have to have a list of all races in the game.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean. Are we not already doing that with the Civs? Otherwise, wouldn't it be a Unique Power for the Race to start with certain Promos, since they would start with them?

Or am I missing the point?

No your not missing the point, but what I meant was that we also would like to do the racial promos (at least if I remember it correctly) like they do in FFH. For example, all elven units will have the Elf promo which grants something (like maybe +1 visibility, to represent sharp vision ;)) and all elf civs will have this promo for all their units. Than afterwards we see if we also want some unique promos for specific civs like maybe raider or mercenary for Dunlendings (as an example). Also I thought that the +1 movement promo for the Teleri should not be a promotion that they get but their ships just get +1 movement or their ship UUs just automatically have a higher movement. I wouldn't put this in a promotion that the units automatically get (at least for the ships).

and what about racial slaying promotions : orcs slaying, dwarf slaying, ... maybe 25%-50% combat bonus against orcs, dwarfs, ....

or it should be uniq promotions - when unit kills specific number (10+) of one race units it gets that promotion.

I like the auto-promotion idea (X orc kills gets you Orc Slayer or something).

Maybe 'Shock II' for Heavy Cavalry. I can still see the Two Rohan (The Two Towers and in the Return of the King)charges obliberating the Spear/Pike Ork/Uruk-hai armies. What a Beaut! And maybe have some hero units have the promo "Lift the Shadows" to be used like a spell: Shadow terrain is pushed back so Evil units don't get the bonus anymore. To go with that some Evil heros can have "March of Shadows" to push the shadow terrain past borders to aid in attacks.

To Quote from the Movies: Lift of Shadows can be counted to be used By Gandalf twice: Charge of Rohan in Two Towers and Retreat of Falamar in Return of the King. March of shadows is used when Gandalf looked out and saw the shadows spreading over the land.

I like the Lift of Shadows or whatever idea. (Do you mean Faramir instead of Falamar? :p) Perhaps Istari (however we end up implementing them) get to use Lift of Shadows every X turns, and something like the Sauron/Morgoth king units and maybe Belryg/Mouth of Sauron/Witchking get to use the March of Shadows idea.

Off topic thought: Angmar's 'world spell' equivalent (which might be an interesting idea) could be a massive March of Shadows that creates something like Anfauglith.

Top Bottom