Proposed Officer Positions - League of Tied Poles

I know the name sounds weird :p. Anyway here is my thought:

With the captain presently deciding the outcome of polls it is unlikely that the captain will change his mind. I see that is unfair for people who voted for the other option. That's how I came up with idea. I think it should be fair for everyone and it is not up to just one persons vote. So if we have say, three of five people then it is likely that we will have people from both sides. If we have three or five people then we couldn't have a tie. Just so people. I thought of another good reason to have this, but I had to go somewhere and I forgot it. If I remember I will edit this post. Any comments are welcome negative or positive. If we do have this I am undecided weather to run.

I know the name sounds weird :p. Anyway here is my thought:

With the captain presently deciding the outcome of polls it is unlikely that the captain will change his mind. I see that is unfair for people who voted for the other option. That's how I came up with idea. I think it should be fair for everyone and it is not up to just one persons vote. So if we have say, three of five people then it is likely that we will have people from both sides. If we have three or five people then we couldn't have a tie. Just so people. I thought of another good reason to have this, but I had to go somewhere and I forgot it. If I remember I will edit this post. Any comments are welcome negative or positive. If we do have this I am undecided weather to run.

Personally I am perfectly ok with allowing the Captain to break ties in closed polls. This will only happen when it is a perfect split (like 10-10). This does not mean that only 1 person's vote mattered. In fact every single vote mattered or it wouldn't have been a tie. If a decision is this close either option will be supported by an equal number of teammates, and I think that leaving the decision up to someone we elected to make those decisions is a reasonable idea. Since this was part of the job description of Captain, I personally considered this when I was choosing who to vote for, as probably did a lot of others. With the vote of team Captain one of the things we were voting for was who we trusted to break ties in the event of a tied poll. If we do not like the way the Captain makes his tie-breaking decisions then we can elect a new Captain. This seems perfectly reasonable to me and I, personally, do not see the need for a panel of 5 to handle this matter.

Requiring 5 people decide will take longer (if they hold another vote to decide the tie-breaking, especially if all 5 are not available) or can lead to further ties (if they decide that people just vote for what they voted for the first time, what if one of the 5 fails to vote).

In sum I just think 5 people breaking ties will be less efficient, and I see no problem of having only 1 person decide ties since we specifically elected them to break ties for us.

I personally do not see how a panel of 5 is necessary.

It was just an idea. I understand why you say that.

It was just an idea. I understand why you say that.

And I will never object to any idea being raised. In my mind the more things are brought up and discussed (even if they were "only an idea") the better. Democracy thrives off shared communication. I don't want you to feel attacked. My opinion is not authority. Just one of many AMAZON opinions.

I hope that whenever I have an idea I will be brave enough to put it up for all AMAZONs to see and risk opposition on the chance that the idea might help the team.

I'm with SC here. I'm definitely comfortable deferring to our fearless leader in the case of a tied poll, and I took that into consideration in voting for candidates for the position. Everyone else should have done the same.

In regard to the fairness of the tie-break mechanism, I'm not sure that it is fair, at least in the strictest sense. Team AMAZON is governed almost entirely by polling and allowing one member to decide anything is absolutely a departure from that model. However, I think it's a necessary one. I'm as big a fan of democracy as the next, but there's a reason most legislative bodies are accompanied by an executive power. It's efficient. Instead of finding ourselves mired in endless - and possibly fruitless - debate about something, we can instead simply look to our Captain. I'd like to think that we won't see ties very often, and, when we do, appeals to Sommerswerd will be heeded. I'm confident that he won't just make arbitrary decisions.

If he does, maybe we can start a League of Amazon Separatists. Ha!

Top Bottom