Proposed rule amendment: save manipulation

How should we vote on this amendment?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bootstoots

Deity
Retired Moderator
DaveShack has proposed striking a clause in rule 2.2 "Save Manipulation" which prohibits the use of utilities such as MapStat and CivAssist II. The thread can be found here.

Here is the exact text of the rule, with the change in question bolded.
2.2 - Save Manipulation

Description: No team or individual is permitted to use the PBEM save games or other files to obtain information or alter any in-game element. This includes monitoring or altering memory while the game is loaded. Using MapStat or CivAssist II or such utilities is also prohibited.

Definition: An individual scanning or monitoring loaded files into memory or altering a file can obtain location information and more, they can even alter in game data.

Purpose: To prevent the use of outside game elements to break the spirit of the game by allowing someone to outright cheat.

Verdict: Using these or any other methods that allows altering the in-game content through any means is a violation of this rule.

Please vote Yes, No, or Abstain to this amendment. This poll will be open for 48 hours. As a note, a vote for Abstain will be taken to mean that you wish for us to abstain from voting in the poll on the amendment, not that you personally wish to abstain from voting.

I think it should be worded to say that the program MUST be spoiler-free.

Can civ assist 2 really be used to cheat? I didn't know this. If it can be used to cheat I think the rule is a good one. If it can't then it's silly.

No, it can't be used to cheat. If you know the other team's password you can get to the info in-game, and if you don't then CA2 won't show it either.

The proposal is to take the names of the utilities out, and leave it up to the admins to decide if a player actually is cheating.

Thanks, Dave. I really wasn't understanding exactly what the vote was about. So if I want the rule changed so it doesn't disallow civassist, I vote yes?

I agree that the use of utilities like MapStat and CivAssistII should be permitted, as they do not allow significant spoiler information, as attested in the voting thread.

WarDance said:
Thanks, Dave. I really wasn't understanding exactly what the vote was about. So if I want the rule changed so it doesn't disallow civassist, I vote yes?

Correct, a yes vote says don't disallow CivAssist and MapStat by name, leave the rule generic against any use of a program to cheat without naming specific programs.

Top Bottom