Votes: 9 40.9%
  • Abstain

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DaveShack

Inventor
Retired Moderator
This is the 2nd poll to try to set provincial borders. This time we have 4 to choose from. If there is a tie, a runoff will be held.

Proposal 1

Proposal 2

Proposal 3

Proposal 4 (edited slightly from the one in the discussion thread)

This poll will remain open for 4 days

The discussion therad can be found here

I vote for Proposal 3 with the following reasons in mind.

1. The entire NW Peninsula is covered with Province 2. No further splitting of this territory is needed.

2. There will be no Provincial WATER tiles disputes (such as the ones donsig brought up) in the Great Lake south of Vo Mimbre. All the close WATER tiles will be in one Province.

3. There will be 4 cities in the Capital Province. This is the way it should be distributed. Plus we'll have 1 city in Province #2 and 1 city in Province #3. This will encourage growth out of Berry Province and into the others.

4. This plan reduces the amount of Jungle in the Capital Province and gives some to what will probably be Province #4. If and when we capture any Babylonian cities, they will be powerhouse cities and will make up for any Jungle to the North.

VOTE PROPOSAL 3

I like #4 the best. Sure province 3 is small, but it's not like it's going to be productive or have a lot of cities. Now, if we were Agricultural in C3C, it would be another story. But, in Vanilla, it's just a sandy province.

I agree with CT.

Besides, I kinda like the small province (aka The Wastelands ;)) in that proposal. Also, it seems to do a decent job of following the underlying natural terrain (mountains, hills, rivers, etc.).

I liked #2 because of how it followed the terrain.

I have a question for those supporting #4, and I'm somewhat surprised this hasn't been brought up yet.

Our laws require that all provinces be 126 tiles, give or a take a few. How can #4 be considered a valid option, when it proposes a province of approximately 76 tiles? Plus one of 117 tiles?

-- Ravensfire

Now, ravensfire, you're trying to bring logic into the game again. :nono: Stop that! :lol: Why do we always have to talk about the rules? :lol: Actually, because of the loose wording of the Law (which should be changed), I'm sure this issue will be contested. :rolleyes:

If we do get our butts kicked in this poll, at least we'll have three Provinces instead of 2. ;)

Originally posted by Cyc
Now, ravensfire, you're trying to bring logic into the game again. :nono: Stop that! :lol: Why do we always have to talk about the rules? :lol: Actually, because of the loose wording of the Law (which should be changed), I'm sure this issue will be contested. :rolleyes:

If we do get our butts kicked in this poll, at least we'll have three Provinces instead of 2. ;)

Just trying to lighten my work load ! :lol:

I don't think the wording is too loose (approximately) - it does give us that couple of tiles either way flexibility that might be needed.

But 76 tiles is NOT approximately 126!

-- Ravensfire

Ravensfire,

Here is the code in question:

1. A province should contain no more than approximately 126 tiles

I know the intent was to make provinces about 126 tiles each, but this wording very clearly deals with the maximum size of a province. No mention is made of what the minumum size should be.

Originally posted by zorven
Ravensfire,

Here is the code in question:

1. A province should contain no more than approximately 126 tiles

I know the intent was to make provinces about 126 tiles each, but this wording very clearly deals with the maximum size of a province. No mention is made of what the minumum size should be.

Can't we just PLAY the GAME! :p

(Here's a thought... what if there's a 10 tile island in the middle of nowhere? :))

Good point zorven - the continual repeat of 126 LAND tiles has kinda been drummed into my head.

Never mind me - nothing to see here ...

-- Ravensfire

i voted for #3 because i cant let #4 win. but i think 3 would be better IF it was edited a little, namely to make province 1 include all the tiles that "belong" to Deux Rivers and make province 2 include all the tiles that belong to Valenday.

basicaly i think that that strait line between them is too simplistic.

and proposal 4 is horrible as far as i can tell. the governors will have to be giving eachother permission to use eachother's land all the time. why make the complication?

EDIT: i know i'm late and should have said/posted this in the discussion, but i guess i dont keep track of this well enough. i sort of assumed that most of the in a city radius would be in the same province as the city.

Generally, you won't have governors needing permission from each other unless you have contested tiles, which will likely require a tighter build than what we've employed thus far.

Personally, as a previous cartographer, I'm not 100% pleased with any of these options, I don't see any of them that systematically follow the underlying terrain. Sure, some of them may follow a river or a line of hills for a but, but a few tiles later, you'll see the line diverge from a river and parallel it for no good reason.

I fully expect to see some proposed tweaking once any of these is in place, or is that verboten?

I believe that redistricting is allowed, Forty. It would just mean pushing through another proposal.

I also agree with FortyJ that our provincial borders should try to follow natural landmarks(rivers, mountain divides) whenever possible. However trying to accomplish this while maintaining the magic number of 126(or less) may make any such attempt an excercise in futility, especially when only tile count is backed by law.

Way to go, People! Excellent choice. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom